5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Backup Camera Centerline

Jstadick

Reaction score
I've had my 2019 1500 limited for just under a week now (love it), but one thing is confusing me. Coming from an F150, I really liked the backup camera and the centerline the showed on the display for backing up to my work trailer. When I was researching the Ram truck, I saw some pics/videos that showed the centerline on the backup view and some didn't. I incorrectly assumed that it must be a setting that you can turn on or off. We'll, there is no setting to be found yet I still see that some here in the forum have the centerline and some don't. So my new theory is that maybe it's affected by the inclusion of the tow package. My Limited doesn't have the tow package (didn't want to lose the surround view and powerful mirrors).

So, can anyone confirm or disprove this or know why the heck some have the centerline and some don't?

Thanks much for any insight!

John
Pround new Ram convert

Reactions: 356

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Edmunds has a video on YouTube showing a 19 Ram towing an airstream. No centerline when backing and no tow mirrors on the truck. Just the brake controller.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here’s something from another thread. Search ‘centerline’.

Ok ok. We have established that the 12" screen with tow group has the line. The 8.4" screen with and without tow group has the line. So if you have those then there is no need to inform everyone that you have the line because we already know you do. We have also established that the 12" screen without tow group (with 360 camera) does NOT have the line. So if you have a 12" screen without the tow group and WITH 360 camera and you DO have the line, please comment because then we will see that there is a discrepancy.

Jstadick

Reaction score

Ok ok. We have established that the 12" screen with tow group has the line. The 8.4" screen with and without tow group has the line. So if you have those then there is no need to inform everyone that you have the line because we already know you do. We have also established that the 12" screen without tow group (with 360 camera) does NOT have the line. So if you have a 12" screen without the tow group and WITH 360 camera and you DO have the line, please comment because then we will see that there is a discrepancy.

Thanks. I did search first but must have been too specific in my search words.

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I've got a Laramie, 8.4" with Nav, tow group, with controller, and no center line. Build date 7-18. I would sure like the line, since I do tow, so maybe this could be a software issue?

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've got a Laramie, 8.4" with Nav, tow group, with controller, and no center line. Build date 7-18. I would sure like the line, since I do tow, so maybe this could be a software issue?
Your signature says you have the brake controller. Do you also have the tow mirrors? Do you have the 360 camera?

Just trying to verify what you have.

Chris

Reaction score
It has been established that the 360 camera does not get the line, tow group does, for all displays.

BostonBlueRam

Reaction score
Hoping in the future it is a software update to get the line. I have a 2015 Jeep GC and I have the center line when backing up - go figure..

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The software update this week didn’t result in a center-line. As an FYI, I have the trailer controller not the tow package. Love the 360 view, just wish I had the center-line on the backup camera.

Chris

Reaction score
My BigHorn without tow package has a centerline.
Yes, it is specifically the 360 surround view that removes the centerline; the PDF with all of the features by model broken out in a spreadsheet style actually specifically states “Rearview camera with centerline” available on all models, then right below it is listed “Surroundview camera (not available with rearview camera)” as an option with some packages

Reactions: 356

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, it is specifically the 360 surround view that removes the centerline; the PDF with all of the features by model broken out in a spreadsheet style actually specifically states “Rearview camera with centerline” available on all models, then right below it is listed “Surroundview camera (not available with rearview camera)” as an option with some packages
Thanks for your post. I guess I will stop hoping for an update with the centerline. I'm not sure why the 360 view cameras would impact having the centerline, but there must be some reason for negating this feature. Anyone know why?

Bufordw

Reaction score
I have a 2019 limited with 360 camera and brake controller. No centerline in backup camera. My dealer has no Idea if I can include the backup line in my setup. I would like the center line!

DaYooper

Reaction score
Well, look what we have here:

20181120_181240.jpg

2019 Limited with 360 camera and brake control. Build date of 10/27/18.

(Sorry for the **** poor photo, but it's dark and snowing right now.)

wthomps79

Reaction score
The center line is an option under the backup camera in the on screen menu.

Go to Settings>Backup Camera and check the box for adaptive guidelines.

DaYooper

Reaction score

But apparently this option was not available on early builds with the 360 camera system. I'm not sure when it was added but I was not expecting it on my truck. Maybe someone is listening to all of the comments posted here?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

And having that option turned on does nothing for (most of) us with 12” screens!

wthomps79

Reaction score
Mine is a 10/20 build truck FWIW.

Every day I seem to be happier and happier I didn't get the 12.1 screen.

grinch72

Reaction score
from another member. looks like the newer builds have the centerline

20181221_163951.jpg

20181221_164005.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread