5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Automatic braking concern

Kkrot2019

Reaction score
Twice now, I have been in the process of backing up and the automatic emergency braking system has engaged and scared the crap out of me. Both times, no one was behind me or anywhere near me. The first time was yesterday, I was pulling out of a parking spot and the brakes locked up and a warning was displayed in the dash. Second time was today, was backing my boat down the ramp to launch it and the brakes locked up and gave me the same warning on the dash. Can I disable the auto braking? What sensors are used the trigger the braking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ScarletNight

Reaction score
Yes, there is a toggle switch on the dash to turn off the sensors: one for the fronts and the other for the rear sensors. Press the switch down and it will light up showing it is disabled.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Twice now, I have been in the process of backing up and the automatic emergency braking system has engaged and scared the crap out of me. Both times, no one was behind me or anywhere near me. The first time was yesterday, I was pulling out of a parking spot and the brakes locked up and a warning was displayed in the dash. Second time was today, was backing my boat down the ramp to launch it and the brakes locked up and gave me the same warning on the dash. Can I disable the auto braking? What sensors are used the trigger the braking?

There are threads covering this issue. I had my rear brake assist module replaced and it’s been great ever since. It only does it now if my approach is at an very sharp angle/incline and I had it too much but otherwise it’s 1000 times better.

Cross88

Reaction score
OP, there is also a way within settings on your center (radio) touch screen to keep the alerts on but turn off the auto brake. I have it set up like that on mine. It’s done it a few times to me, and the alerts going off is enough for me to depress the brakes at a normal rate and look in my mirrors and cameras.

Kkrot2019

Reaction score
Thank you everyone. I should have performed a search before typing my question. I see other people have had the same problem. Obviously not a fix, but I turned the braking option off.

If I do take it to the dealer, my concern is that they say nothing is wrong because they can’t replicate the problem.

clotagames

Reaction score
Sounds like it worked fine with the boat behind-have to shutoff mine when towing anything and I have to back up.

Adrianp89

Reaction score
I’ve had some false alarms but it is def normal with a trailer attached. I’m surprised it didn’t go off when backing up to the hook up the trailer.

runamuck

Reaction score
I turned mine off early on because a cpl. times it slammed on the brakes when I was in traffic. I use the old fashioned method of looking out the front window while driving and applying the brakes as needed.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
After 1 year of using these systems, my observation is...they are very much speed dependent. If the system interprets your imminent approach towards a stationary/slower moving target is too fast...brakes darn near lock up. I actually went out and made multiple approaches at various speeds towards a traffic cone in a vacant lot at work. if i reversed towards the cone too quickly, I got the neck cracking brake application. If I backed slow enough, with the appropriate amount of brake pressure, I could bump the cone with my trailer hitch. This was a very useful exercise for me because I back my truck into a tight garage and did not want to be slammed into my seat every time. By managing my speed, I use my sensors all the time...with the exceptions of trailering my boat or leaving the tailgate down. Those situations require me to over-ride the system via the toggle. The front system works similarly. If your using Adaptive Cruise, the truck will intervene sooner (at a greater distance from) a slower moving target in front of you. If the target in front of you is moving at a similar rate as you, the system will allow you to get much closer to it before intervening. I find that the entire system works pretty well as long as i drive the way it was designed to interpret targets. Just took a little time to figure out.

sessman

Reaction score
Mine does this as well. After the third time I finally turned it off. FWIW I noticed that shadows trigger it big time.

PedalMonk

Reaction score
Add me to the list where it brakes in reverse with nothing going on. It happened again today. Ths is the 4th time it has happened in less than a month.

I'll say this, we won't be able to get this fixed if we all don't call into Chrysler and complain. Anybody know a good number to call?

PedalMonk

Reaction score
@RamCares

Can you help us with how to proceed in getting help from FCA? I can pretty much recreate this issue just backing out of my driveway. Thanks!

Bluelinebuild

Reaction score
Its funny that I stumbled across this topic. This happened to me for the first time and while very concerning it was also embarrasing. I was backing up in the grocery store parking lot when I saw a guy a few cars down approaching so I stop to let him go, he waves for me to go ahead and back out. So I wave thanks and proceed to leave and thats when for no reason it auto brakes and scares the crap out of me. The guy is naturally now looking at me like im crazy. I start backing up again and it auto slams on the brakes again. I can only imagine what the guy was thinking watching this madness unfold. Me and the wife were laughing but I was concerned to say the least. I wiped off the sensors as a precaution and it has not happened again as of yet.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
@RamCares

Can you help us with how to proceed in getting help from FCA? I can pretty much recreate this issue just backing out of my driveway. Thanks!

Hi PedalMonk,
We certainly understand your frustrations with your brake concern. We would suggest addressing this with your dealer and if additional assistance is needed please reach out to us privately.
Laura
Ram Cares

ElKabong91

Reaction score

I've had this same issue backing up entering/exiting driveways with sharp inclines, but yesterday picking up a friend at the airport, it happened while I was going forward. Nothing within 50 yards in front of me, driving on a flat roadway, and I was going about 20 MPH at the time, all of a sudden the three chimes, BRAKE message, and car locks up. The system has flashed a couple times in traffic -- only one chime, see the BRAKE message for a nanosecond, then everything back to normal -- but this is the first time it's happened full-bore. I don't want to think what would happen if I was on the highway. Took it to the dealer before and no dice, I'll try it once more before disabling it.

billbeam

Reaction score
With 249 miles on the truck it happened twice today. Started to back into my driveway and it happened the 1st time. I went forward a few feet and then started to back again. Same thing happened. Again, scared the stuffing out of my wife and I. Again, went forward a few feet and then backed up without a problem.
I think it would be a waste of time to take it to the dealer for this issue. Hopefully someone from corporate looks at this forum.

Flyrod11ft

Reaction score
Was backing down a boat into the water with my 2 tourney partners in boat when truck locked up the brakes.knocked one guy on his rear. I now have it disabled. Although I like the idea, I’m leaving it off.

Cravenfan

Reaction score
Wow...this one caught me off guard as well...first time test driving a new 2020 Ram Limited 1500, I went to back up on a side road, where the edge of the pavement was about 3" high, also backing into the sun...the thing wouldn't let me backup. I pulled forward, backed up and it made that sound like the minions from hell are screaming at you and we lurched to a stop. After trying a couple times more and smelling the brakes, I figured out how to turn off the rear sensors.

It happened to me with a group of folks in the new truck while backing near a snowbank on Friday also and suffice to say, I was embarrassed a bit. I was probably 2" from the snowbank and in one regard felt good it stopped me, but in another, it is a bit abrasive. I forget to turn the sensor back on, after turning it off each night to park the beast in my garage. I need to get within an inch of the rear of the garage for it to fit in.

Anyway, great safety feature, maybe it could be toned down a bit? My 2 cents.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wow...this one caught me off guard as well...first time test driving a new 2020 Ram Limited 1500, I went to back up on a side road, where the edge of the pavement was about 3" high, also backing into the sun...the thing wouldn't let me backup. I pulled forward, backed up and it made that sound like the minions from hell are screaming at you and we lurched to a stop. After trying a couple times more and smelling the brakes, I figured out how to turn off the rear sensors.

It happened to me with a group of folks in the new truck while backing near a snowbank on Friday also and suffice to say, I was embarrassed a bit. I was probably 2" from the snowbank and in one regard felt good it stopped me, but in another, it is a bit abrasive. I forget to turn the sensor back on, after turning it off each night to park the beast in my garage. I need to get within an inch of the rear of the garage for it to fit in.

Anyway, great safety feature, maybe it could be toned down a bit? My 2 cents.
I've learned how to back mine into the garage without the sensor turned off. I can touch my trailer hitch on the wall if I approach it slow enough. I think it interacts based on rate of closure, not how close you are.

Psimpson

Reaction score
used to be having a trailer attached disabled it for me. Yesterday, backing a trailer with lights hooked up it was always beeping and braked a couple times. Something has changed on my truck.

Users who are viewing this thread