5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Automatic braking concern

Bluesurf

Reaction score
Well there is two sides to this feature. Several weeks ago I need to visit my Dr. I was leaving before the sun came up. I was backing out of my driveway in a small gated community 40 homes. Out of no where the breaks SLAMMED ON! I was scared CRAP. I turned and looked behind the side and saw my neighbor in his Tesla P85, it was quieter tan a mouse, no GD lights! I would have totaled him for certain. I can now put up with the breaks a bit easier.

Cravenfan

Reaction score
Well there is two sides to this feature. Several weeks ago I need to visit my Dr. I was leaving before the sun came up. I was backing out of my driveway in a small gated community 40 homes. Out of no where the breaks SLAMMED ON! I was scared CRAP. I turned and looked behind the side and saw my neighbor in his Tesla P85, it was quieter tan a mouse, no GD lights! I would have totaled him for certain. I can now put up with the breaks a bit easier.

When I took a Ram out for a test drive, we backed up and the road had a drop off where I turned...sun was also shining right on the back...whammo, brake locked up when I tried to back up. Had to shut it off. I agree...that one time you need it, you need it.

waynemaz

Reaction score
I have a new 2020 1500 with the backup sensors and about half the time I back out of my driveway the system hits the brakes when I get to the road. My driveway has a slight decline but not that bad. Very annoying. My other vehicles, one car and one SUV, don't have this issue. I know I can disable the system but I don't think I should have to.

coolidge

Reaction score
Ouch, my back. Yeah I turned the stupid moron blithering idiot computer backup braking OFF. OMG a branch fell off a tree into the yard BRAKE!!!!!!!! I had no intention of backing up into the grass. Love the audible warning, that's fine. But a dumb *** computer taking over my brake pedal no way.

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
I usually disable via toggle switch but that seems to also disable the audio alert. How do I keep the audio alert when braking is disabled with the toggle?

borden72

Reaction score
I usually disable via toggle switch but that seems to also disable the audio alert. How do I keep the audio alert when braking is disabled with the toggle?
You have to go into the Uconnect settings to turn off the braking portion.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Ouch, my back. Yeah I turned the stupid moron blithering idiot computer backup braking OFF. OMG a branch fell off a tree into the yard BRAKE!!!!!!!! I had no intention of backing up into the grass. Love the audible warning, that's fine. But a dumb *** computer taking over my brake pedal no way.

Definitely keep the audio on but turn off the auto braking, it's in the braking section of the Uconnect setup section. Don't turn it off by the toggle in the dash.

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
You have to go into the Uconnect settings to turn off the braking portion.
But when I do that wouldnt it disable the braking completely whether the toggle is switched or not?

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
But when I do that wouldnt it disable the braking completely whether the toggle is switched or not?

Yes, it would remove the emergency braking, which is only slow speed for the rear. Unless you have frontal collision as well.

borden72

Reaction score
I have frontal collision avoidance on mine. I disabled the rear brake assist I think its called. I still get all the tones when something is going on back there but no brake assist. I back down a driveway sometimes and it drives me crazy when it slams the brakes on. It needs more refinement to become a better system.

LHarv

Reaction score
I've noticed that mine works as intended quite well however, there are some flaws. It seems the rear sensor cannot detect elevation changes. So, backing up hill or down a steep enough ramp or driveway will throw it out of whack and hit the brakes. Same goes for things like backing the rear over a parking brick, doesn't know how high it is so it will hit it. As for those people having issues while towing I'm not sure why you'd have them on anyways but I know my limited automatically turns them off in the rear when a trailer is detected.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine will do if I back through the opening of my garage to fast, If I go under a certain speed it will not do it.

coolidge

Reaction score
Mine will do if I back through the opening of my garage to fast, If I go under a certain speed it will not do it.

Yep I had no issues backing up in my turn around space until I was backing up faster than normal then it freaked out over a small tree limb. Who doesn't want to go fast in a Ram, even backwards! :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread