5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Auto Start/Stop error

K_Ram66

Reaction score
Was it supposed to come with a trailer brake controller?

Also, that makes no sense. The brake controller has nothing to do with the start/stop system.
I have a 2022 Ram Laramie Sport 5.7 with E-Torque and it has happened to me on several times while in tow/haul. Took my vehicle in on May 2 and they performed TSB 08-0293-22. I haven't pulled my trailer (no electronic brakes on trailor) to verify the fix. Will keep you posted.

K_Ram66

Reaction score
good luck, after 9 months, many repair attempts, and a ton of replaced parts...there is still no solution

i'm sending the truck back, Ram technicians aren't even able to identify the problem
I heard that this issue would occur more with the E-Torque configuration

K_Ram66

Reaction score
Can you just put the auto start stop cancel mod on it or do you like to have that feature working. I understand if like it on a new vehicle but if it fixes the problem it's worth the chance
the Auto Start/Stop enable- disabled had no effect for me. My dealer performed TSB 08-0293-22

Robbymercado1

Reaction score
I’ve been dealing with the same problem (auto start stop unavail, service electronic stability control, and check engine light) on and off for the past 8 months. I bought my truck used (‘19 1500 limited) about 2 years back now. Unfortunately it seems like I’m out of most warranties (50k miles now) and the dealership is clueless on what to do or look for. The first time I brought it in, they had my truck for over 2 months without giving me a loaner car. The first thing they told me was that I didn’t have any oil in my engine. I didn’t see how that was possible as I had never seen any oil under my truck and never got any oil lights on my dash until the check engine light ( I stopped driving it immediately and got it to the dealership). they put oil in the truck and sent it back my way saying it cleared the codes and on the way home, the lights popped again. I turned around immediately and sent it back to them. They did some more diagnosing and said my truck was popping oil pressure and and camshaft timing codes. They took apart the engine and found a sheared pin on the camshaft. Luckily they replaced this via warranty and things seemed normal until 2 weeks ago when the dash lit up again. This time the technicians said they needed to trace wires to determine if it was a wiring issue or possibly the ABS module. They determined it was the abs module so they ordered one and installed with no luck to fixing the problem. Now they’re waiting for Chrysler to tell them what else to do but they are absolutely just guessing on what to do with no real plan. @RamCares , is this anything you can still help me with since my truck is out of warranty for almost everything besides the power train? And how can this issue not be causing some kind of recall at this point?!

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’ve been dealing with the same problem (auto start stop unavail, service electronic stability control, and check engine light) on and off for the past 8 months. I bought my truck used (‘19 1500 limited) about 2 years back now. Unfortunately it seems like I’m out of most warranties (50k miles now) and the dealership is clueless on what to do or look for. The first time I brought it in, they had my truck for over 2 months without giving me a loaner car. The first thing they told me was that I didn’t have any oil in my engine. I didn’t see how that was possible as I had never seen any oil under my truck and never got any oil lights on my dash until the check engine light ( I stopped driving it immediately and got it to the dealership). they put oil in the truck and sent it back my way saying it cleared the codes and on the way home, the lights popped again. I turned around immediately and sent it back to them. They did some more diagnosing and said my truck was popping oil pressure and and camshaft timing codes. They took apart the engine and found a sheared pin on the camshaft. Luckily they replaced this via warranty and things seemed normal until 2 weeks ago when the dash lit up again. This time the technicians said they needed to trace wires to determine if it was a wiring issue or possibly the ABS module. They determined it was the abs module so they ordered one and installed with no luck to fixing the problem. Now they’re waiting for Chrysler to tell them what else to do but they are absolutely just guessing on what to do with no real plan. @RamCares , is this anything you can still help me with since my truck is out of warranty for almost everything besides the power train? And how can this issue not be causing some kind of recall at this point?!
Greetings,
We can connect you with a case manager who will try their best to help. Please follow up via PM if that is of interest.

Rob
Ram Cares

Ramguero

Reaction score
I am having the same problem with the tow/haul and e torque. 2022 1500, was towing my rv trailer with the tow/haul activated then noticed the e torque on/off cel and engine cel and tow/haul switch light off. It seemed like the truck had less power, don’t know if that was limp mode. Took the truck to the dealer and was told that factory was aware of the problem and was working on a fix. Also, when the max air condition button is activated the ac button light on dash turns off, don’t know if that problem has anything to do with the other listed problems. Another also, when filling up the tank does not fill up all the way and I have to feather the gas station nozzle to fill up the tank. Dealer stated that I’m in line nationally to receive part to fix problem. I’ve only owned the truck for a little over a month and truck has approximately 2500 miles

KevBo

Reaction score
I came on here hoping for a simple fix or thing to check for this error. I bought a lightly used 2019 Ram Rebel with e-torque about 2 years ago (still only has about 38k miles). The auto stop/start light has randomly come on a few times through the time I've had it, and I've mostly ignored it. Recently, past few weeks, it's been coming on at every trip. A few times it has thrown the error while sitting at a stop light - after it has cut the engine off... So I have to restart the truck. It always feels odd starting after doing this like it's stuttering a bit to restart. It's probably time I take it in. It's really disappointing that so many are having this same issue - and from the sounds of this thread dealerships aren't really sure what the problem is - and no recall?? from this one website alone - there is enough evidence with enough consistency in this thread to warrant a recall. Luckily I got a bumper to bumper extended warranty when I bought the truck - and hopefully it's something simple in my case - but so many nightmare stories here... makes me nervous about what's ahead. I don't have any other lights coming on - just the service start/stop. We'll see...

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I haven't had any issues with either of the etorque Hemi's we've owned. Even so, having this feature wasn't a choice for us really. The trucks with all the features we wanted just happened to also have etorque. I'm hopeful someone somewhere will come up with a way to remove the etorque system entirely. I realize it would require replacing the motor/generator with an alternator, but beyond that I'm really not sure what would need to be done.

BAJAN55

Reaction score
Has anyone had this issue successfully resolved? I had the same thing happen today while hauling a light duty trailer. I’m in a 22 Longhorn with e torque, roughly 2,500 miles.
I have the same truck, same model, same mileage, haven't tried to read the code yet but it beeped turned off the tow haul and check engine came on.
UPDATE: I have the same problem as many on this thread. Any time I use TOW HAUL I get a Start Stop error A0402 with a check engine light that last for several starts before the indicator goes out. Also the truck stays in first gear ( I suppose that’s limp mode ). It happens any time I use the TOW/HAUL regardless if I have a trailer attached or not. This has to be a code bug in the computer code. I have a 2022 LIMITED LONGHORN with almost every option except air suspension. There has to be a common denominator with the combo of options or code level. I don’t think this is a hardware problem. Is this problem on all Gen5’s or just 2022’s?

Last edited:

J4U

Reaction score
Joining the club, actually been a member of it for many months now. Cylinder 5 threw a misfire code, swapped coil packs with 2 and came back with 5 misfire again. Took it in a month or so ago and they replaced the Fuel Injector. That code hasn't come back yet, but this stupid auto start/stop light is driving me nuts after 2 hood switch replacements. Last one just replaced again yesterday. auugh

Going to trace the wires and see if there is an issue outside the switch.

BAJAN55

Reaction score
Anyone see this error before? It happened today and after cycling power on truck it went away.

View attachment 34065
I have the same problem as many on this thread. Any time I use TOW HAUL I get a Start Stop error A0402 with a check engine light that last for several starts before the indicator goes out. Also the truck stays in first gear ( I suppose that’s limp mode ). It happens any time I use the TOW/HAUL regardless if I have a trailer attached or not. This has to be a code bug in the computer code. I have a 2022 LIMITED LONGHORN with almost every option except air suspension. There has to be a common denominator with the combo of options or code level. I don’t think this is a hardware problem. Is this problem on all Gen5’s or just ones with tow/haul?

Last edited:

BAJAN55

Reaction score
Was it supposed to come with a trailer brake controller?

Also, that makes no sense. The brake controller has nothing to do with the start/stop system.

I am having the same problem with the tow/haul and e torque. 2022 1500, was towing my rv trailer with the tow/haul activated then noticed the e torque on/off cel and engine cel and tow/haul switch light off. It seemed like the truck had less power, don’t know if that was limp mode. Took the truck to the dealer and was told that factory was aware of the problem and was working on a fix. Also, when the max air condition button is activated the ac button light on dash turns off, don’t know if that problem has anything to do with the other listed problems. Another also, when filling up the tank does not fill up all the way and I have to feather the gas station nozzle to fill up the tank. Dealer stated that I’m in line nationally to receive part to fix problem. I’ve only owned the truck for a little over a month and truck has approximately 2500 miles
I have the same problem as many on this thread. Any time I use TOW HAUL I get a Start Stop error A0402 with a check engine light that last for several starts before the indicator goes out. Also the truck stays in first gear ( I suppose that’s limp mode ). It happens any time I use the TOW/HAUL regardless if I have a trailer attached or not. This has to be a code bug in the computer code. I have a 2022 LIMITED LONGHORN with almost every option except air suspension. There has to be a common denominator with the combo of options or code level. I don’t think this is a hardware problem. Is this problem on all Gen5’s with tow/haul?

I was wondering if anyone tried towing without tow/haul on and start/stop off? I'm going to try that next. also does anyone know if towing without tow/haul on will hurt the truck.

Last edited:

BAJAN55

Reaction score
I have the same problem as many on this thread. Any time I use TOW HAUL I get a Start Stop error A0402 with a check engine light that last for several starts before the indicator goes out. Also the truck stays in first gear ( I suppose that’s limp mode ). It happens any time I use the TOW/HAUL regardless if I have a trailer attached or not. This has to be a code bug in the computer code. I have a 2022 LIMITED LONGHORN with almost every option except air suspension. There has to be a common denominator with the combo of options or code level. I don’t think this is a hardware problem. Is this problem on all Gen5’s?

My truck did come with trailer brake and trailer tow package and still has the same problem..

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have the same problem as many on this thread. Any time I use TOW HAUL I get a Start Stop error A0402 with a check engine light that last for several starts before the indicator goes out. Also the truck stays in first gear ( I suppose that’s limp mode ). It happens any time I use the TOW/HAUL regardless if I have a trailer attached or not. This has to be a code bug in the computer code. I have a 2022 LIMITED LONGHORN with almost every option except air suspension. There has to be a common denominator with the combo of options or code level. I don’t think this is a hardware problem. Is this problem on all Gen5’s with tow/haul?
A handful of us have had the same issue. Check out this post for the TSB that was released.
I was wondering if anyone tried towing without tow/haul on and start/stop off? I'm going to try that next. also does anyone know if towing without tow/haul on will hurt the truck.
I've towed probably close to 2k miles now with tow/haul on and the start/stop off. I haven't seen the issue come back since I started doing this. I have an appointment to get the fix outlined in the TSB later this month.

How much are you towing and what's the terrain like? If you're towing relatively light and in relatively forgiving terrain, shouldn't have any issues not using tow/haul.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I use tow/haul pretty frequently and have 0 issues with the start/stop system.

BAJAN55

Reaction score
A handful of us have had the same issue. Check out this post for the TSB that was released.

I've towed probably close to 2k miles now with tow/haul on and the start/stop off. I haven't seen the issue come back since I started doing this. I have an appointment to get the fix outlined in the TSB later this month.

How much are you towing and what's the terrain like? If you're towing relatively light and in relatively forgiving terrain, shouldn't have any issues not using tow/haul.
I'm towing a 7000 lb travel trailer. Not the max for my truck but not light either. I have the 3.92 gears so my max tow is over 11K.

rubrduk

Reaction score
Joining the club, actually been a member of it for many months now. Cylinder 5 threw a misfire code, swapped coil packs with 2 and came back with 5 misfire again. Took it in a month or so ago and they replaced the Fuel Injector. That code hasn't come back yet, but this stupid auto start/stop light is driving me nuts after 2 hood switch replacements. Last one just replaced again yesterday. auugh

Going to trace the wires and see if there is an issue outside the switch.

I finally bit the bullet and had FCA buy the truck back, they had it in for repairs more than 120 days over the first year i owned the truck and the problem only became more frequent.

I wanted them to simply replace the truck, but they refused,...I'm only on here now to try and unload the parts I had bought for the truck and i'm now stuck with.

AnmarAladdin

Reaction score
I am having multiple issues with my 2020 Ram 1500 Big Horne Built-To-Serve.

I am getting two messages on my dashboard, first one is "Stop/Start Unavailable Service Stop/Start System" and the second one is "Service Electronic Stability Control."

I had a mechanic run it for codes, I am getting "C10EB-00", "C10EA-00", "C10EC-00", and "C2222-68". The mechanic did some testing, and the initial thought is that the parking brakes and/or steering alignment sensor are malfunctioning. The mechanic is not a Ram expert, and I was on a hurry. His basic diagnostic is that "perhaps since the steering is not aligned correctly, the others are not working properly." He was nice enough to give me the number of someone who knows more about Ram in my City.

I do not live in the US, and where I live, there is no Ram dealership, so no recalls or warranty available. I am basically forced to look into ways to have it fixed.

I will take it to the shop in a week or so to do more testing.

I called the other guy and he narrowed down some possible causes, initially at least:
- Steering Sensor
- ABS Sensors
- Fuel Injectors
- Hood Latch (Remote Start)
- Wheels/Tires Alignment

Will keep you updated.

Pokey69

Reaction score
Riding around in T/H mode for a week now after update and no issues (before it gave same error codes as everyone else). Looks like when in T/H mode it now disables the Start/Start feature automatically. Turn the Start/Stop off when towing until you can get the new update from the dealership. I will be towing soon to really check it out but so far so good on the update.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just had the update done. My auto start/stop isn't disabled in tow/haul mode. Will update when we hit the road again and are towing more.

Users who are viewing this thread