5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Auto Start/Stop error

MurphBigHorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
mine turns on/off

if it turns on while you are in a start/stop cycle, the engine will not restart and then it takes a few minutes to power cycle, pop hood (it asked to check hood), and then restart all while I was in the middle of Burbank traffic.

Dang, well so far it pop on for a second in the driveway and nothing else so far. Have heard a strange clunk few times when truck start though.

rubrduk

Reaction score
Dang, well so far it pop on for a second in the driveway and nothing else so far. Have heard a strange clunk few times when truck start though.

well... I just got my truck back about a week ago after the dealer had it for more than 2 months this last time (more than 6 months total in service)

They have replaced the BCM, PCM, alternator/etorque motor, etorque battery, both hood switch sensors (twice each), they replaced 2 different wire harness assemblies including one that "went from headlights into the dashboard"

I had the truck less than 24 hours before the start/stop service light was back on, but I thought, I'll drive it a few days and give it a chance...on day 4, the truck died while sitting at a stoplight and took 2 minutes to restart, so I have now sent it back to the dealer

- I called Ram Cares and asked again for a direct replacement truck as I'm approved for the lemon process, but they said no trucks are available and they will only buyback with no consideration/allowances for the dealership markups.

- RamCare will restore the CDI discount that I used to purchase the truck but stated that it's only applicable at participating dealers (which of course, all dealers have suspended discount programs)

- I then asked Ram Cares if they will assist, using their resources in locating a truck with the specs I need so I do not have to wait for a special order...Ram Cares told me I will have to work with "sales" to find and purchase a new truck. I then confirmed "sales" is nothing more than the sales manager at my local dealership who will attempt to work with the regional reps, and will attempt to locate a truck that I will then have to buy at whatever price that specific dealership is asking.

- I spoke with the sales manager at my local dealership who said there is nothing special they can do, they do not have access to a vehicle spec database, dealer-to-dealer trades are nearly impossible even if I was to locate a specific truck at another dealership as the market has become so competitive that trades are not being honored due to scarcity of vehicles to sell.

- The local dealership sales manager can order a truck for me with no markups, selling at MSRP only...they will not accept CDI or any other discount programs and the current wait time is 5-6 months, but they have been warned it could extend longer at any time if there are supply chain issues with chip shortages or delivery/shipping of materials.

I've driven the truck 7 months of the 14 months I've owned it and made payments on it

IMG_6436.JPG

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Mine came on twice over the 500 mile christmas trip, no codes. First time since thanksgiving.

I get the auto/start light as well as a stabilitrac light.

'tis quite odd

ferraiolo1

Reaction score

05/2021
I guess i should have read the entire thread, since mine was built around the same time. And the oem switch was on sale for $11! ill throw that in to see if it stops the lights.

Last edited:

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
This tricky little devil has happened to me several times but now at 2112 miles I have a check engine light the Circle A light and traction control off light. Not looking forward to going to the dealer. All reset at restart except the check engine light, but the others come back shortly after driving.
seems you're the only one ive seen with both the *** light AND the traction control light.

What was the solution?

MurphBigHorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
well... I just got my truck back about a week ago after the dealer had it for more than 2 months this last time (more than 6 months total in service)

They have replaced the BCM, PCM, alternator/etorque motor, etorque battery, both hood switch sensors (twice each), they replaced 2 different wire harness assemblies including one that "went from headlights into the dashboard"

I had the truck less than 24 hours before the start/stop service light was back on, but I thought, I'll drive it a few days and give it a chance...on day 4, the truck died while sitting at a stoplight and took 2 minutes to restart, so I have now sent it back to the dealer

- I called Ram Cares and asked again for a direct replacement truck as I'm approved for the lemon process, but they said no trucks are available and they will only buyback with no consideration/allowances for the dealership markups.

- RamCare will restore the CDI discount that I used to purchase the truck but stated that it's only applicable at participating dealers (which of course, all dealers have suspended discount programs)

- I then asked Ram Cares if they will assist, using their resources in locating a truck with the specs I need so I do not have to wait for a special order...Ram Cares told me I will have to work with "sales" to find and purchase a new truck. I then confirmed "sales" is nothing more than the sales manager at my local dealership who will attempt to work with the regional reps, and will attempt to locate a truck that I will then have to buy at whatever price that specific dealership is asking.

- I spoke with the sales manager at my local dealership who said there is nothing special they can do, they do not have access to a vehicle spec database, dealer-to-dealer trades are nearly impossible even if I was to locate a specific truck at another dealership as the market has become so competitive that trades are not being honored due to scarcity of vehicles to sell.

- The local dealership sales manager can order a truck for me with no markups, selling at MSRP only...they will not accept CDI or any other discount programs and the current wait time is 5-6 months, but they have been warned it could extend longer at any time if there are supply chain issues with chip shortages or delivery/shipping of materials.

I've driven the truck 7 months of the 14 months I've owned it and made payments on it

View attachment 114470

Wow so sorry to read all this. No one should have to deal with this. In these around situations. They should push a truck/ dump it in production for you. I don’t know much about lemon laws. But they should just replace the truck. Cost should stay the same.

Another Money Pit

Reaction score

View attachment 114470
I know this is a weird and possible dangerous answer but if I don't put my seat belt on the start stop function does not engage, is that the same with your truck? Maybe it's something simple like the seat belt system is bad

rubrduk

Reaction score
I know this is a weird and possible dangerous answer but if I don't put my seat belt on the start stop function does not engage, is that the same with your truck? Maybe it's something simple like the seat belt system is bad

that would be the most hilariously amazing thing ever

I do always wear my seatbelt, but it could be a faulty sensor

cervelo15

Reaction score
Mine just came on this morning after the first truck start in 4 full days. I don’t run my truck much anymore since working at home (maybe 2-3 times per week)

Starting it up left an unpleasant smelling puff out of the tailpipes and pulled it out in the driveway to warm up. The light was on, but I turned the truck off and back on again and it cleared.

After the second time turning it on and driving, it felt sluggish. But after driving for 15-20 mins it seemed fine and the start/stop was working fine.

It’s a pain to not have a clear indicator after turning off the start/stop like a dash light or the button illuminates.

Bay Area RAM

Reaction score
Add me to the list…… driving home today without using any of the start/stop or the ACC and all of a sudden the truck starts yelling at me….. got the two error lights plus a check engine light.

got Home less than a mile later and cycled the truck a number of time. Still on….

any Of these issues ever get worked out to a actual cause other than chasing a ghost….. not looking forward to what’s coming after reading this whole thread. 😤

Attachments

• 78973766-00E5-4D4D-99EE-A659D3A2070F.jpeg
    78973766-00E5-4D4D-99EE-A659D3A2070F.jpeg
    118.2 KB · Views: 28
  • E52CF273-9506-4E56-A062-CA9B72BAE5D2.jpeg
    E52CF273-9506-4E56-A062-CA9B72BAE5D2.jpeg
    117.1 KB · Views: 27

Bay Area RAM

Reaction score
Add me to the list…… driving home today without using any of the start/stop or the ACC and all of a sudden the truck starts yelling at me….. got the two error lights plus a check engine light.

got Home less than a mile later and cycled the truck a number of time. Still on….

any Of these issues ever get worked out to a actual cause other than chasing a ghost….. not looking forward to what’s coming after reading this whole thread. 😤
Fired up the truck this morning and the error lights are gone but the check engine light is still on and truck seems to be working normally with auto start/stop engaging like it should…. Will a cheap obd scanner work on these trucks or Will the Ram App show the error as I’ve seen on this forum, maybe I have the wrong app but I can’t find a ‘vehicle health’ section. Thanks.

rubrduk

Reaction score
Fired up the truck this morning and the error lights are gone but the check engine light is still on and truck seems to be working normally with auto start/stop engaging like it should…. Will a cheap obd scanner work on these trucks or Will the Ram App show the error as I’ve seen on this forum, maybe I have the wrong app but I can’t find a ‘vehicle health’ section. Thanks.

Call Ram Cares and start a case now, after 7 months and multiple repairs attempts, they going to buyback my truck because they are not able to fix the problem

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Call Ram Cares and start a case now, after 7 months and multiple repairs attempts, they going to buyback my truck because they are not able to fix the problem
It's a no-brainer for them. Buy back for what you owe, put it on the lot for 30% more. Bang, money in the bank!

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
It will have a branded title after buyback and will be sold at a salvage auction with a lemon law manufacture repurchase declaration.

What Happens to Lemon Law Cars After They're Bought Back?
Well, if you read the article that you linked, no. They get resold and you never know it was a lemon.

Interesting article. I pasted the highlights below.

"Car manufacturers buy back thousands of defective automobiles each year because they are difficult to repair–if they can be repaired at all. Those lemons are then resold by the manufacturers, fixed or not, and are once again on the roads and in repair shops. Many people mistakenly believe that the titles to these cars are always branded as lemons so that future car shoppers would be on notice of what the vehicle’s history was before they made their purchase.

This is quite far from the truth.

Fewer than a third of the states require any form of title branding when a vehicle is repurchased under a state’s lemon law. And since not all states use this brand, a simple transfer of the car to a non-branding state gets the designation removed from the title itself.

So, never assume that a vehicle with a “clean” unbranded title is not a lemon law buyback.

rubrduk

Reaction score
Well, if you read the article that you linked, no. They get resold and you never know it was a lemon.

Interesting article. I pasted the highlights below.

"Car manufacturers buy back thousands of defective automobiles each year because they are difficult to repair–if they can be repaired at all. Those lemons are then resold by the manufacturers, fixed or not, and are once again on the roads and in repair shops. Many people mistakenly believe that the titles to these cars are always branded as lemons so that future car shoppers would be on notice of what the vehicle’s history was before they made their purchase.

This is quite far from the truth.

Fewer than a third of the states require any form of title branding when a vehicle is repurchased under a state’s lemon law. And since not all states use this brand, a simple transfer of the car to a non-branding state gets the designation removed from the title itself.

So, never assume that a vehicle with a “clean” unbranded title is not a lemon law buyback.

You can easily tell if they were ever a lemon/buyback or salvage/rebuilt/grey market/Taxi/Police/Military/etc...

You simply look at the owner history of the vehicle,...it will list the Manufacture as the owner of the vehicle, then it was a lemon buyback

The state of California, where my truck is registered will brand the title, this will make the truck difficult/impossible to qualify for a loan for the entire life of the vehicle and it oftentimes will be insurable with liability only, but not comprehensive by most insurance companies.

https://www.carfax.com/press/resources/branded-title

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/vehicle-registration/titles/branded-titles/

States that brand titles:
  1. Arizona
  2. District of Columbia
  3. Florida
  4. Idaho
  5. Kansas
  6. Kentucky
  7. Lousiana
  8. Maryland
  9. Mississippi
  10. Missouri
  11. Montana
  12. Nebraska
  13. New Hampshire
  14. Ohio
  15. Oklahoma
  16. Pennsylvania
  17. South Carolina
  18. Washington
  19. West Virginia
  20. Wisconsin
  21. Wyoming

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
For the other more than half the country the title is not branded. I didn't post the article, just read it. 😉

Carfax? Yea... I checked out a car at a lot. Carfax posted a clean bill of health. I asked the salesman how they could present such a blatant lie. You could clearly see the replaced trim and the taped off cut in of the poor paint job at the door jambs. Looked like the whole side was redone at some point. He of course feigned no such knowledge. Innocent I am sure. He could have been a dirt salesman and not missed this.

Last edited:

rubrduk

Reaction score
For the other more than half the country the title is not branded. I didn't post the article, just read it. 😉

Carfax? Yea... I checked out a car at a lot. Carfax posted a clean bill of health. I asked the salesman how they could present such a blatant lie. You could clearly see the replaced trim and the taped off cut in of the poor paint job at the door jambs. Looked like the whole side was redone at some point. He of course feigned no such knowledge. Innocent I am sure. He could have been a dirt salesman and not missed this.

You are not wrong, it's almost like the United States of America should be,....united

photinus

Reaction score
Joining the club with the "Service Auto Start Stop System", blinking check engine light, and what feels like a constant misfire/no fire on a cylinder. Just had it towed to the dealer, we'll see what comes of it.

Traindl

Reaction score
I have a 2022 Ram 1500 LoneStar Off Road and my truck throws this "Service Start/Stop System" when I pull a trailer. It has happened to me 5 times now in less than 5000 miles and goes into Limp mode. I have the dealership looking at it now and they are telling me the error is occurring because the truck did not come with a trailer brake controller. They are telling me the only way to fix it is for me to pay them $850 for a trailer brake controller to be installed. They claim that it is not a warranty issue because the truck did not come with a trailer brake controller? I have a brand new $55000 truck that cannot tow a trailer without going into limp mode and that is not a warranty issue? We are talking about a small utility trailer with a side by side, nothing heavy. Have you ever hear of something so ridiculous. Oh and the brake controller is backordered for 3 weeks! @RamCares can you help?

Attachments

• Truck1.jpg
    Truck1.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 20
  • Truck2.jpg
    Truck2.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 20
  • Truck3.png
    Truck3.png
    139.4 KB · Views: 19
  • Truck4.png
    Truck4.png