5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Auto Start/Stop error

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Update:
One week to the day! Service advisor said they can’t find the issue, so the mechanic is completing his diagnosis report and sending them up the chain.

This isn’t looking good. Can anyone explain how the process goes from here?
They are going to ask corporate engineering for assistance in diagnosing the issue. My truck has gone through a similar process.

Make sure they record everything and if you don't have a case manager with RamCares I'd get one.

rubrduk

Reaction score
Update:
One week to the day! Service advisor said they can’t find the issue, so the mechanic is completing his diagnosis report and sending them up the chain.

This isn’t looking good. Can anyone explain how the process goes from here?

You have to take it back again and start a new service,...you do this until they either fix it or you have satisfied the Lemon Law requirements for your state

you should contact Ram Cares and start an FCA case asap, they will help you with the dealer conversation.

PeteL

Reaction score
my 2021 has had the Start/Stop light occasionally popping on at random intervals

11k miles

The truck still idles end drives fine, no misfires or such

however I was sitting at a traffic light 🚦, start/stop was on (engine was off) and the warning light popped on and my truck would not restart

finally got it started after 3-4 minutes after sitting in Los Angeles traffic and waving people around, and for a nano second the message screen flashes something about “check hood”

fast fwd: I take it in for service, the dealer replaced the hood closed sensor, but found the problem still existed…so they replace a few other things including the eTorque generator/electric motor

5 days later I get the truck back, and an hour into my day the warning is back on

So I search and I find this forum post and some similar on the other Ram forums, also some posts on lemon 🍋 groups that seem to have similar symptoms

So before anything else, I contacted Ram Cares and they opened a case. I wanted to make sure this was appropriately escalated to have manufacturer technicians involved.

The local dealer (not who I bought from) has been pleasant to work with, they scheduled a new appointment and have been giving basic updates (they obviously have no idea what the problem is)

The truck has been at the dealer 10 days total now

Ram Cares rep has been checking in regularly with me, he is pleasant as well…the customer service has been very good 👍

He stated they had replaced many parts,…but I’m a clever guy and know they are going down the list and just replacing all the things now in hopes of locating the issue

They still don’t know what the problem is

Im hoping for the best, I like my truck…but at minimum I’m going to request a complimentary 125k extended warranty so this doesn’t pop back up the minute my warranty is up

I’ve already had to cancel a family summer camping trip because I don’t have my truck to pull our RV travel trailer, and it’s near impossible and expensive to rent a truck with towing package

View attachment 100428
I have a 2020 1500 Longhorn and had the exact same thing happen after 3rd month of ownership. I was on my lunch break stopped at a light with the s/s activated when it suddenly flashed a message about hood ajar/chimed & a stop start error etc. I was scrambling to figure out what happened it took me 2-3 minutes to get truck restarted & able to move it with people honking at me blocking traffic... Drove back to work, shut it off and restarted it and error was gone and all seemed normal. I was hoping if was just a fluke and wouldnt happen again as it was NOT a pleasant experience. Wishful thinking.. 2 weeks later at a drive thru s/s error chimed, it put the truck in park on its own and it activated the parking brake. No error about hood ajar this time. Since this second time it happened to me, I have started shutting off the auto s/s button before I drive all the time. It still chimes error code randomly every week but does not cause and other drivability issues as lond as it was turned off first. I wish I could offer a solution that a Ram has dealer figured out the problem , but I cannot. Yes, some will call me crazy, but sadly I have choosen to live with shutting off the s/s system rather than having a dealership tech start taking apart my new $60k truck replacing parts/wire harness etc. to avoid rattles, scratches etc. Why do I feel this way? I am a 35yr employee at a new car dealership (not Ram).

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 2020 1500 Longhorn and had the exact same thing happen after 3rd month of ownership. I was on my lunch break stopped at a light with the s/s activated when it suddenly flashed a message about hood ajar/chimed & a stop start error etc. I was scrambling to figure out what happened it took me 2-3 minutes to get truck restarted & able to move it with people honking at me blocking traffic... Drove back to work, shut it off and restarted it and error was gone and all seemed normal. I was hoping if was just a fluke and wouldnt happen again as it was NOT a pleasant experience. Wishful thinking.. 2 weeks later at a drive thru s/s error chimed, it put the truck in park on its own and it activated the parking brake. No error about hood ajar this time. Since this second time it happened to me, I have started shutting off the auto s/s button before I drive all the time. It still chimes error code randomly every week but does not cause and other drivability issues as lond as it was turned off first. I wish I could offer a solution that a Ram has dealer figured out the problem , but I cannot. Yes, some will call me crazy, but sadly I have choosen to live with shutting off the s/s system rather than having a dealership tech start taking apart my new $60k truck replacing parts/wire harness etc. to avoid rattles, scratches etc. Why do I feel this way? I am a 35yr employee at a new car dealership (not Ram).
I installed an autostop eliminator so I don't have to press the button every time I start my truck. I'm not a fan of stop/start, and would rather just disable it. There are other threads where people are complaining about their stop/start issues. You might want to look around a little since it sounds like that's what your truck is experiencing.

PeteL

Reaction score
I installed an autostop eliminator so I don't have to press the button every time I start my truck. I'm not a fan of stop/start, and would rather just disable it. There are other threads where people are complaining about their stop/start issues. You might want to look around a little since it sounds like that's what your truck is experiencing.
I was just looking at the one 4dTech offers for $99, will most likely buy it

rubrduk

Reaction score

FCA easily approved the "cash & keep" settlement or vehicle buyback once the lemon-law specifications were met. I'm currently giving them the opportunity to repair the truck a final time

It's been a straightforward conversation, but it's not without frustrations...you do have to let the process run its due course and be patient.

- I've been driving various loaner and rental cars provided by FCA or the local dealer (no out-of-pocket) for nearly 3 months
- I've had multiple visits to the dealer where I get the truck only to drive it a day or two and all of the errors return.
- I've had to rent trucks to tow my RV (I'm told they will reimburse me for this)
- I had already negotiated a "free" extended warranty at any earlier repair attempt during this process

I would have simply gone for a direct replacement truck from FCA, but the law says it's the discretion of the manufacture to provide a replacement or offer buyback at the window sticker price. (the consumer gets the option of choosing to "cash settlement and keep" or to lemon)

Given the current car/truck market with supply shortages, high prices, and long wait times...I'm being cautious so that I will not be taken advantage of or short-changed and I will involve a lawyer if necessary

rubrduk

Reaction score

the issue is pointing to being bad wiring, my concern is not the daily nuisance of the start/stop, but the long term reliability of an expensive vehicle with a problem that may get worse in the future after the warranty expires

PeteL

Reaction score
the issue is pointing to being bad wiring, my concern is not the daily nuisance of the start/stop, but the long term reliability of an expensive vehicle with a problem that may get worse in the future after the warranty expires
I also feel it is a wiring harness issue and know whats involved in replacing a vehicles wire harness, not pretty. In my case, I feel its water getting into harness somewhere it shouldn't be. Always seems to happen after recent wet weather. Truck was fine, until it sat outside after a first snow overnight. Temps warmed up next morning, melting snow getting everything wet. Thats when it first happened with the hood ajar error. I also worry about future issues other than this if its a bad harness/water infiltration issue. If other issues start showing other than this, I will have to bring it to the Ram dealer especially before warranty is up. Other than this issue, I love the truck and its been fine

BlueMoose

Reaction score
I also feel it is a wiring harness issue and know whats involved in replacing a vehicles wire harness, not pretty. In my case, I feel its water getting into harness somewhere it shouldn't be. Always seems to happen after recent wet weather. Truck was fine, until it sat outside after a first snow overnight. Temps warmed up next morning, melting snow getting everything wet. Thats when it first happened with the hood ajar error. I also worry about future issues other than this if its a bad harness/water infiltration issue. If other issues start showing other than this, I will have to bring it to the Ram dealer especially before warranty is up. Other than this issue, I love the truck and its been fine
For what it's worth, my 2020 threw the "hood latch" error in conjunction with the Start/Stop error. The dealer found a P152F error and fixed it under this TSB:

cmack5000

Reaction score
Taking truck back to dealership for this problem for a second time. They replaced the hood switch the first time. The auto on/ off has been popping up for awhile now, but now sometimes the truck shuts completely off while I'm stopped and puts itself into park.

rubrduk

Reaction score
Taking truck back to dealership for this problem for a second time. They replaced the hood switch the first time. The auto on/ off has been popping up for awhile now, but now sometimes the truck shuts completely off while I'm stopped and puts itself into park.

I strongly recommend you start a case with FCA

Mister 4x4

Reaction score
This morning I think I experienced pretty much the same thing.

It was 49/50-ish this morning when I started up mine to head to work. It fired right up and ran fine until I came to the first red light. The engine shut off, and the Auto Stop/Start lamp was illuminated on the dash. A little freaked out, I hit the Auto Stop/Start Off button, and the truck fired right up, and I went on my way when the light turned green. It never happened again, and ran fine later the in afternoon after it had warmed up a bit and I went out for some lunch.

I know this sounds pretty normal to those with Auto Stop/Start... however, when I bought my truck, the previous owner had disabled the function, and not being a fan of it myself, I happily left it disabled. So basically, this was the first cold morning I've owned the truck, and the first time it has done this (turned the Auto Start/Stop on itself). I believe I had a similar issue a few weeks ago, but I didn't pay as close attention to the dash lamp (didn't notice it, but experienced the same 'feeling' when the engine shut off and started back up at a stop light). I'll definitely be keeping an eye on it.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This morning I think I experienced pretty much the same thing.

It was 49/50-ish this morning when I started up mine to head to work. It fired right up and ran fine until I came to the first red light. The engine shut off, and the Auto Stop/Start lamp was illuminated on the dash. A little freaked out, I hit the Auto Stop/Start Off button, and the truck fired right up, and I went on my way when the light turned green. It never happened again, and ran fine later the in afternoon after it had warmed up a bit and I went out for some lunch.

I know this sounds pretty normal to those with Auto Stop/Start... however, when I bought my truck, the previous owner had disabled the function, and not being a fan of it myself, I happily left it disabled. So basically, this was the first cold morning I've owned the truck, and the first time it has done this (turned the Auto Start/Stop on itself). I believe I had a similar issue a few weeks ago, but I didn't pay as close attention to the dash lamp (didn't notice it, but experienced the same 'feeling' when the engine shut off and started back up at a stop light). I'll definitely be keeping an eye on it.
What do you mean by the owner disabling it? Via what method? This sounds like it is functioning as intended.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
^^Agreed. How did the previous owner disable it? I've "disabled" mine with an Autostop Eliminator. But the button on the dash still functions as designed. The AE just makes it so I don't have to push the button to turn off stop/start every time I start the truck.

Mister 4x4

Reaction score
I thought there was a way to disable it thru the instrument cluster menu... apparently not. So, I guess either the previous owner shut it off and kept his tuner when they traded it in, or it was turned off by a stealership, or whatever. Beats me. All I know is when I took delivery, it was off and the other morning is the first time it's ever done that.

This is what I see, and all I know, apparently. Sorry for the glare, it was at a convenience store last night.

IMG_20211019_204645317_HDR.jpg

It is most definitely not functioning as intended... if it's 'turned off,' it should not be turning itself back on just out of the blue on a colder-than-normal morning. I've only owned the truck since July 2nd, and the overnight temps have only just started to dip into the 50s in West Texas. Yesterday when it happened, it was 'only' 50, and it didn't happen this morning (around 59-60).

rubrduk

Reaction score
I thought there was a way to disable it thru the instrument cluster menu... apparently not. So, I guess either the previous owner shut it off and kept his tuner when they traded it in, or it was turned off by a stealership, or whatever. Beats me. All I know is when I took delivery, it was off and the other morning is the first time it's ever done that.

This is what I see, and all I know, apparently. Sorry for the glare, it was at a convenience store last night.

View attachment 108621

It is most definitely not functioning as intended... if it's 'turned off,' it should not be turning itself back on just out of the blue on a colder-than-normal morning. I've only owned the truck since July 2nd, and the overnight temps have only just started to dip into the 50s in West Texas. Yesterday when it happened, it was 'only' 50, and it didn't happen this morning (around 59-60).

you are probably correct that a previous owner turned it off

If you are under warranty, have the dealer look at it...they probably had no idea someone had disabled it, so they can restore it easily

the eTorque Stop/Start works so quickly there is no reason to shut it off,...why buy an eTorque equipped truck if you are going to disable these features, it's pretty silly

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
For the extra low end torque it gives.

I hate the A. S. S. Feature, even though the RAM is the smoothest one out of my three vehicles, it’s still not perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread