5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Auto high beams are useless

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's the sensor in the rearview mirror housing that controls the auto dim feature. You can cover it with your hand and it will not dim with oncoming traffic.

I also thought about doing this. Maybe a really light piece of window tint.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
You can also just disable the auto-dim feature in UConnect.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I’ve had them on my Audi, BMW, and MB vehicles. The ones on the RAM work just as well. Never had an issue with these, and I use them every time I travel on highways at night.

Ragingun

Reaction score
It achieves the same result as taping over the sensor without, you know, taping over the sensor!
Right. I don't want to tape over the sensor. I want to put a very light tint over it so it darkens the signs yet hopefully still dims when it senses headlights.

Rossum

Reaction score
It would be good to know everyone's exact configuration to see if there's a pattern to which ones work well and which ones people aren't happy with.

My configuration that works well:
2021 Laramie Level 2 Equipment Group and Advanced Safety Group

Looking at the Build Configurator again, I notice that Automatic High Beam Headlamp Control comes with the Level 1 Equipment Group, which likely doesn't have as sophisticated a camera/sensor as those with Level 2, and the Advanced Safety Group likely includes an even fancier camera.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Loaded 2021 Limited 4X4...mine works perfectly and I have been using it a ton lately without a hiccup!

PM-Performance

Reaction score
I tested mine last night for the first time because of this thread.
I can confirm OP’s findings that the signs cause these to trigger.
Pretty useless imho

Ragingun

Reaction score
It would be good to know everyone's exact configuration to see if there's a pattern to which ones work well and which ones people aren't happy with.

My configuration that works well:
2021 Laramie Level 2 Equipment Group and Advanced Safety Group

Looking at the Build Configurator again, I notice that Automatic High Beam Headlamp Control comes with the Level 1 Equipment Group, which likely doesn't have as sophisticated a camera/sensor as those with Level 2, and the Advanced Safety Group likely includes an even fancier camera.
Camera has nothing to do with the auto high beams. The sensor parts number is the same for all the 1500 trucks.

Rossum

Reaction score
Camera has nothing to do with the auto high beams. The sensor parts number is the same for all the 1500 trucks.
You sure about that? On other (European) brands that used to have a discreet sensor for auto high beams, on variants that got the camera used for lane-keep assist and such, the camera is also used for the auto high beams.

Even if the sensor is still there and the same, it's possible that models with the camera use data from the camera to refine the auto-high beam decision making process:

Ragingun

Reaction score
You sure about that? On other (European) brands that used to have a discreet sensor for auto high beams, on variants that got the camera used for lane-keep assist and such, the camera is also used for the auto high beams.

Even if the sensor is still there and the same, it's possible that models with the camera use data from the camera to refine the auto-high beam decision making process:

Positive. According to the Witech I have at my shop I manage it's based off the same sensor as well as the parts look up. I have 63 Ram 1500's in stock right now. Some of these operate correctly, some of them do not.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not sure since not everyone lists their truck trim line model, but it appears there might be a mixture of standard headlight and adaptive headlight systems which could explain the difference.

I have my auto highbeam feature switched off for the same reason as most: the reflections from road signs (otherwise they worked fine). When I first got my Laramie I mentioned this issue to one of the techs and he said the lamp adjustment of the right headlamp was probably a little too high. He might be right. Since I still have good motor skills and neuron pathways and can control highbeams manually, I never pursued his offer to check the adjustment. Maybe some day I will.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 044703 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread