5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Auto high beams are useless

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is no radar unit behind the windshield. I have taken mine fully apart. Most all radar units are behind the grill or below the front bumper. I do not think our trucks use any type of radar.
There is. It's in the housing with the camera. There's no way you could have ACC or emergency braking without some type of distance and speed measuring device.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
There is. It's in the housing with the camera. There's no way you could have ACC or emergency braking without some type of distance and speed measuring device.
Two things:

1. Read my post 54...may be a GREAT idea to read a thread before responding ;)
2. Yes, I did come to realize that it was in the housing behind the rear view mirror when I removed it again after the install of my dash cam and radar detector.
3. You do NOT need a radar device to measure distance and speed. Subaru's use EyeSight which contain only two stereo cameras in the windshield...no radar device!

Dogpatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Auto Dim/ High Beams sucks where I live. Works well with oncoming traffic and brake lights. Sucks with any reflective road signs on the highway and street lights or yard lights in the city.
I turned my auto High Beam feature off. I can at least control when and how long I want them on and off. Not an issue for me to manually do it.
No complaints about the amount of light from my Limited LED headlights though. Definitely a HUGE improvement over my 4th Gen 3500.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Found this thread while looking for info on adjustments for the auto high beam. Mine are terrible, I can drive a 2 lane dark road that has lots of deer on it and with no oncoming traffic they will not turn on and stay on. Every single BS street sign no matter how close or far causes them to turn off. I had a 4th gen 2500 and they worked great, on this new 1500 I just turn the switch from auto to normal when driving at night in order to be able to use my high beams. The wife’s Lexus works just like my 2500 did, something not right about the programming on this feature.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Interesting how some of us that have this feature work great and others do not. I, for one, love this feature and have not had any issues with it whatsoever and it operates consistently as advertised.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had my truck for 2 and a half years and finally tried out the auto dimming feature last week coming back from picking up carry out. I took a back road that doesn't have much traffic and because it's dark before 5 right now I could see how they perfirm
Seemed fine road signs didn't dim the lights but on coming traffic dimmed them quickly. I guess they are fine.
My low beams are really all I need.

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
..on a completely dark road, mine dimmed for the reflection of the light in a deer's eyes. One minute I could see him standing on the side of the road, the lights dimmed, and I couldn't... great system. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
..on a completely dark road, mine dimmed for the reflection of the light in a deer's eyes. One minute I could see him standing on the side of the road, the lights dimmed, and I couldn't... great system. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
While undesirable, that's actually impressive!

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I will say that the visibility of the Adaptive LEDs is amazing and with the addition of the Tazer DT allowing Fogs to stay on with High Beams I have never had nighttime visibility as good as this truck delivers.

Rupp

Reaction score
I tried this option on my new RAM and I love it. They work fine and none of the signs on the side of the road causes an issue. What size signs are you guys having issues with? Stop signs, yield, speed or are you taking about the large interstate type signs.

COSPILOT

Reaction score
I suspect us older generation don’t need it, and the younger generation like it.

I still remember a sticky floor switch that I used back in the day. Plus those old high beams sucked compared to today’s lights.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'll add that this system is definitely on the side of caution. It goes off on any reflection or possibility of oncoming light source....so I rarely ever use it.

Truth is I rarely need the bright lights at all.

dandar

Reaction score
They are like that in most cars. I have them disabled in both my RAM and in my XC90.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I suspect us older generation don’t need it, and the younger generation like it.

I still remember a sticky floor switch that I used back in the day. Plus those old high beams sucked compared to today’s lights.
I am a Grandpa and I love these lights and since I am getting much more lazy I like the truck changing to high beams for me. Those old floor button high beams were ridiculous, I don't miss that change!

jastevenson

Reaction score
Don’t have my truck yet, but has anyone tried covering the sensor with some semi-translucent material (scotch tape?) to attempt to lower the sensitivity of the system?

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Don’t have my truck yet, but has anyone tried covering the sensor with some semi-translucent material (scotch tape?) to attempt to lower the sensitivity of the system?
I am pretty sure it is the forward camera and not a sensor that determines this so I wouldn't mess with it. It can always be turned off, and you can manually turn on the brights.

Rossum

Reaction score
Interesting how some of us that have this feature work great and others do not. I, for one, love this feature and have not had any issues with it whatsoever and it operates consistently as advertised.
Yes, it is strange. Mine (2021 Laramie) work darn near perfectly too. They see and respond properly to oncoming traffic as well as tail lights of traffic ahead, but are pretty much never fooled by traffic signs or other light sources.

On dark, twisty country roads I find it quite frustrating to have to drive one of my older vehicles that don't have this feature because I basically have to dedicate the fingers of my left hand to being ready to dim the lights the whole time.

Ragingun

Reaction score
I am pretty sure it is the forward camera and not a sensor that determines this so I wouldn't mess with it. It can always be turned off, and you can manually turn on the brights.
It's the sensor in the rearview mirror housing that controls the auto dim feature. You can cover it with your hand and it will not dim with oncoming traffic.

I also thought about doing this. Maybe a really light piece of window tint.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
It's the sensor in the rearview mirror housing that controls the auto dim feature. You can cover it with your hand and it will not dim with oncoming traffic.

I also thought about doing this. Maybe a really light piece of window tint.
That is correct. If you look at the back side of the rearview mirror, there is a small square light sensor on the passenger side of the mirror.

Users who are viewing this thread