5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Auto high beams are useless

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine work fine. I've never taken mine off Auto in 8 months and 13k miles with plenty of night driving on all types of roads. It sounds like some trucks are too sensitive. An easy experiment would be to place some Scotch tape or other lightly shaded film over the sensor. Might be an easy fix.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine work fine. I've never taken mine off Auto in 8 months and 13k miles with plenty of night driving on all types of roads. It sounds like some trucks are too sensitive. An easy experiment would be to place some Scotch tape or other lightly shaded film over the sensor. Might be an easy fix.
It uses a camera, which is also used for lane keep assist and adaptive cruise... do not do this.

Fidomac

Reaction score
These auto high beams suck on these trucks. It is a completely useless feature unless all
You do is drive on a flat highway. I’ve driven other cars with it and they all have a sensitivity adjustment. I don’t understand how people say they are so great. My lights go on and off and on and off over and over again any road sign plays havoc with the high beams.
Edit: video didn’t post originally

Exactly...the reflection from a sign will turn your high beams on and off... without another car in sight

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It uses a camera, which is also used for lane keep assist and adaptive cruise... do not do this.
Experiment being the key word. He says the feature is otherwise useless. Lane keep can be turned off. Adaptive cruise uses radar, if I'm not mistaken.

The other option is to go to the dealer. Other trucks aren't doing what we see in the video. My guess is they will say "no problem found" and it'll be back to some other solution or live with it.

11B4X4

Reaction score
I agree, way too sensitive. One of the many Automatic features I have disabled since owning the truck. Rain sense, tilting side mirrors, parking brake and high beams, all disabled.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Experiment being the key word. He says the feature is otherwise useless. Lane keep can be turned off. Adaptive cruise uses radar, if I'm not mistaken.

The other option is to go to the dealer. Other trucks aren't doing what we see in the video. My guess is they will say "no problem found" and it'll be back to some other solution or live with it.
ACC does use radar, but it also relies on the camera.

Etorque

Reaction score
I agree with those who are having problems. Just had the dealer tell me there is nothing they can do about it. He knows of no software update forthcoming.
I am going back and get out of the "auto" mode and handle it myself.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've not had any trouble with street signs, surprisingly enough, but I agree that the automatic high beams are extremely sensitive to oncoming light sources (headlights or other light sources, e.g. storefront lighting).

On the plus side, they are amazing when I get outside of the city limits.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think that you're correct. I don't believe the RAM has a radar unit...just the camera. If I am incorrect, then someone please tell me where it is.
FCA marketing (generic for the whole CJDR line) mentions radar in discussing ACC. And most modern systems use both radar and cameras, as I understand it. But to your point, I can find no evidence short of dismantling that huge enclosure above the rear view mirror!

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
There is no radar unit behind the windshield. I have taken mine fully apart. Most all radar units are behind the grill or below the front bumper. I do not think our trucks use any type of radar.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Interesting read...I took this entire assembly apart to install my dash cam and did not recognize the radar unit. Another quick look reveals a silver rectangular box with heat sink fins on the rear. I stand corrected as I have never seen a radar unit mounted behind the glass and I thought this was part of the camera assembly...most all are in the grill or below the front bumper.

Good article find @SpeedyV

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting read...I took this entire assembly apart to install my dash cam and did not recognize the radar unit. Another quick look reveals a silver rectangular box with heat sink fins on the rear. I stand corrected as I have never seen a radar unit mounted behind the glass and I thought this was part of the camera assembly...most all are in the grill or below the front bumper.

Good article find @SpeedyV
Thanks for checking. I have yet to have seen one of these!

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have one road sign on my daily commute that causes the high beams to go off, and one irritating porch light that's very bright (glad I'm not living next to them LOL). But for the rest of my commute my auto dimming lights work great.

I've not had any trouble with street signs, surprisingly enough, but I agree that the automatic high beams are extremely sensitive to oncoming light sources (headlights or other light sources, e.g. storefront lighting).

On the plus side, they are amazing when I get outside of the city limits.
You use high beams inside the city limits? Maybe my town just has excellent street lighting, but I don't need high beams in town.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You use high beams inside the city limits? Maybe my town just has excellent street lighting, but I don't need high beams in town.
Generally only to test them. There are definitely a few spots (e.g. along the riverfront, near large city parks and cemeteries, etc.) that get very dark at night.

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree, when I used to use them, I was constantly fighting them. They are either way too sensitive and shutoff from their own reflection off a street sign, are turning on and off when there is a obvious vehicle coming straight towards me, or simply do not turn on at all.

TrackDay

Reaction score
I have an additional issue that anything I suction to my windshield like a radar detector or a dash cam will be seen by the auto high beam camera and it stops my auto brights. I've moved both things around considerably but if they are within my reach they will confuse the camera. Really frustrating.

tim7139

Reaction score
Hard to tell for sure in a video, but it looks like your hot spot is high and to the side.

Which headlight option does your truck have?
Have you changed bulbs?
Have you checked alignment?

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online