5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone wanna help me with this mystery?

Detroitmikeb

Reaction score
OK I will try to make this detailed but short. My truck has 5,000 miles on it. No issues at all. 20’ wheels 275/55/20 tires.

Suspension wise it was all stock and I added a hellwig sway bar and ran it on the middle setting for a while but didn’t drive much.

I saw some people use CORE 4X4 end links and they looked cooler than stock so I got them (bushings not the joints). The ride got a little rougher and didn’t really improve handling more than the hellwig alone but they looked sweet.

Then I was getting my tires rotated and discount tire scraped all of my wheels up. Without any argument they offered me any wheels I wanted that they sold. So I got a set of fuel Rebel 6’s +1 and I paid for 275/60/20 toyo AT3’s (SL).

So the hellwig, core end links, +1 wheels and slightly larger tires all happened within like 50 miles on the OD. Now I feel everything. Every bump, in fact my rear end feels really bouncy. The suspension as a whole just feels squirrelly.

So far, I have put the stock sway bar back on with the core end links. Same thing. Handling sucked lol comparatively.

I got the tires road force balanced (two were really off but it still didn’t fix it). Alignment all checked out on a hunter machine.

I have tried 35,36,37,38 psi in the tires. I like 38 the best but it still doesn’t feel like the RAM ride quality we love.

Do you think going to 275/60/20 could make that much difference? Would going to a +1 wheel screw up the ride? Should I try the stock end links again? I don’t know the torque specs for those so that’s stopping me.

I know this is impossible for anyone to know for sure but I’m just looking for ideas. Thanks!

Wirerat

Reaction score
This sounds counter intuitive but try raising the psi up to around 45. Then see how it rides.

Ready Go

Reaction score
Do you still have the original OEM tire setup? Putting those back on would tell you the most about the new setup. The sway bar/endlinks don't sound like the issue..especially if you went back to OEM sway bar and still have the problem.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
90% it's the tires making you feel the road more. You are running an off-road tire with stiffer sidewalls. You can adjust it a little bit by tire pressure, but it's still going to be stiffer than your factory tires

Ready Go

Reaction score
You can get a full set of Eibach Pro-Truck Sport struts & shocks until midnight tomorrow for $455.60
Your off-road ATs and +1 wheels are possibly overwhelming the OEM set..the Eibachs will totally tame that down..and give you a more factory level ride quality.

Detroitmikeb

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips! I’ll try more PSI today. I still have to try original links too. I really think it might be the links.

I don’t have the oem wheels/tires :(

Detroitmikeb

Reaction score
I was thinking that was probably the case.
I’ve never had aftermarket wheels on any car I’ve owned, so obviously I have no experience with offset. I figure these guys with the -44 offset giant tires sticking out don’t complain then +1 should be fine. I’m starting to worry I made a mistake.

Ready Go

Reaction score
I’ve never had aftermarket wheels on any car I’ve owned, so obviously I have no experience with offset. I figure these guys with the -44 offset giant tires sticking out don’t complain then +1 should be fine. I’m starting to worry I made a mistake.
You've only pushed the wheel out ~0.75" and that isn't a deal breaker.
It's probably the chosen tire that you have.
OEM wheel is ~34lbs and the tire is ~38lbs, so basically ~72lbs total.
My ballpark guess is that your new wheel is ~40ish and that tire is ~50ish, so ~90lbs...close to 20% increase in unsprung weight. Plus that tire will have a stiffer sidewall. Think about a strut/shock upgrade.

I'm struggling with the same exact situation..I'm thinking to change to a 275/60/20 Cooper Discovery AT3 (44lbs) on my OEM 5-spokes..only 6lbs extra weight per corner (not that I really like that even). I just ordered the Eibach Pro-Truck Sports and will do a 1.2"F/0"R with them.
In the future, I plan to do the Eibach Pro-Truck Stage-2 CO or the Icon 2-3" Stage-4 CO set and then a 20x9" (Blink has one that's 33lbs advertised on this Forum) 0 to +2mm with 275/60/20 Falken Wildpeaks AT3Ws (50lbs), so 11lbs heavier..not bad for a "big-boy look". Not 35x12.5s, but those are HEAVY!

It's all a matter of comprise!
Plus, once you modify, you HAVE to modify more..cause and affect!

Last edited:

Detroitmikeb

Reaction score
Makes sense thanks! I’m going to play with pressure today and put the stock end links on and see if that helps at all.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep try messing with air pressure first it’s not going to be Oem soft ride with AT but most modern day AT tires ride pretty damn good. I have no experiences with Toyos but I know my Wildpeaks have also rode close if not better than Oem tires for me. Worst case Discount has a pretty good exchange program but that could also be store dependent. Doubt endlinks have anything to do with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Detroitmikeb

Reaction score
So here’s what’s weird. I swapped the the end links and the ride is noticeably better. The stock end links have a joint on them. The Core’s only have poly bushings on each end. So I lost articulation I guess going over rough roads (MI has some of the worst).

I put my PSI up to 40 and that helped too. The max is 44 since they are only SL

I am going to talk to core about swapping my end links for their version with Johnny Joints.

Detroitmikeb

Reaction score
You've only pushed the wheel out ~0.75" and that isn't a deal breaker.
It's probably the chosen tire that you have.
OEM wheel is ~34lbs and the tire is ~38lbs, so basically ~72lbs total.
My ballpark guess is that your new wheel is ~40ish and that tire is ~50ish, so ~90lbs...close to 20% increase in unsprung weight. Plus that tire will have a stiffer sidewall. Think about a strut/shock upgrade.

I'm struggling with the same exact situation..I'm thinking to change to a 275/60/20 Cooper Discovery AT3 (44lbs) on my OEM 5-spokes..only 6lbs extra weight per corner (not that I really like that even). I just ordered the Eibach Pro-Truck Sports and will do a 1.2"F/0"R with them.
In the future, I plan to do the Eibach Pro-Truck Stage-2 CO or the Icon 2-3" Stage-4 CO set and then a 20x9" (Blink has one that's 33lbs advertised on this Forum) 0 to +2mm with 275/60/20 Falken Wildpeaks AT3Ws (50lbs), so 11lbs heavier..not bad for a "big-boy look". Not 35x12.5s, but those are HEAVY!

It's all a matter of comprise!
Plus, once you modify, you HAVE to modify more..cause and affect!
Not to get off topic but I had a terrible experience with Brink. I ordered a set of wheels from them in the summer and when they arrived the paint job on them was horrendous and one of them had a bent lip. They offered me 15% off and said I had to buy another set since I waited 3 days to take them out of the packaging. I ended up arguing via PayPal and they sent me return labels. I would never buy from them again. Just letting you know.

Last edited:

Ready Go

Reaction score
Not to get off topic but I had a terrible experience with Brink. I ordered a set of wheels from them in the summer and when they arrived the paint job on them was horrendous and one of them had a bent lip. They offered me 15% off and said I had to buy another set since I waited 3 days to take them out of the packaging. I ended up arguing via PayPal and they sent me return labels. I would never buy from them again. Just letting you know.
Thanks for that info!

Ready Go

Reaction score
So here’s what’s weird. I swapped the the end links and the ride is noticeably better. The stock end links have a joint on them. The Core’s only have poly bushings on each end. So I lost articulation I guess going over rough roads (MI has some of the worst).

I am going to talk to core about swapping my end links for their version with Johnny Joints.
Interesting! Certainly possible!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Could be you just over tightened them? The Johnny joints do seem like a better option though

Ready Go

Reaction score
Could be you just over tightened them? The Johnny joints do seem like a better option though
According to Progress Technologies, when using their poly endlinks (almost identical to Core design), they suggest 52-55 ft/lbs for upper & lower endlink bolts.

Detroitmikeb

Reaction score
According to Progress Technologies, when using their poly endlinks (almost identical to Core design), they suggest 52-55 ft/lbs for upper & lower endlink bolts.
Core says 65 so maybe they were just too tight?

I took advantage of their Black Friday sales (today) and got the next step up end link with Johnny joint and a trackbar with Johnny joints.

1.) I love the way the blue end links look so I want to have them! Stupid I know.

2.) Since I was ordering I wanted to add the track bar anyway.

3.) My last chance to do any monkeying with the truck before winter hits.

4.) Core support is pretty good I have a feeling they will let me return my entry level end links.

Users who are viewing this thread