5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone wanna help me with this mystery?

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
After my 5100s and 35" tires I was feeling a floating feeling. Jumped in the suspensionmaxx front end link bandwagon getting the set for lifted applications, and they made a difference. Definitely eliminated the floating feeling.
I’ll be jumping in the SuspensionMaxx bandwagon as well in the next few weeks so it’s good to hear another good opinion on them. I don’t have the floats, but I’m sure the stock front end links won’t last long and I’d like to return the front sway bar to near stock geometry.

Detroitmikeb

Reaction score
After my 5100s and 35" tires I was feeling a floating feeling. Jumped in the suspensionmaxx front end link bandwagon getting the set for lifted applications, and they made a difference. Definitely eliminated the floating feeling.
Was it like being in a boat prior to the end links? Like a sway if you hit a bump?

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is highly perplexing.

Do you have any sense enough to guess whether the side to side tossing is more likely coming from the front or rear?

Wondering if rear coils are clocked incorrectly… or if it’s even possible they be installed incorrectly clocked, as fronts can?

Other thing to check maybe is rear panhard bar / lateral link. I could see if it had loose bushings or perhaps not extended properly that it might cause a “fight” side to side every time the suspension is unloaded the reloaded.

Sorry man sort of reaching here.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Was it like being in a boat prior to the end links? Like a sway if you hit a bump?
It wasn't horrible, but definitely noticeable. The longer and stiffer end links corrected the sway bar position to make it more effective

Detroitmikeb

Reaction score
This is highly perplexing.

Do you have any sense enough to guess whether the side to side tossing is more likely coming from the front or rear?

Wondering if rear coils are clocked incorrectly… or if it’s even possible they be installed incorrectly clocked, as fronts can?

Other thing to check maybe is rear panhard bar / lateral link. I could see if it had loose bushings or perhaps not extended properly that it might cause a “fight” side to side every time the suspension is unloaded the reloaded.

Sorry man sort of reaching here.
Thanks. It's hard to tell, it's like any shift in weight rocks the truck. Feels like it's from the front.

I actually replaced the panhard bar with a core 4x4. Much higher quality but still didn't make a difference. I have no lift in the rear so I just got the OEM size.

I think signs are pointing toward the wheels and or tires. sigh.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not that I want you spending more money but if you end up swapping endlinks you cant go wrong w/ Suspension Maxx and either Moog or Energy suspension for swaybar bushings.. it might not be a bad idea to have both these on hands during your wheel swap troubleshooting fiasco.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Detroitmikeb

Reaction score
Not that I want you more money but if you end up swapping endlinks you cant go wrong w/ Suspension Maxx and either Moog or Energy suspension for swaybar bushings.. it might not be a bad idea to have both these on hands during your wheel swap troubleshooting fiasco.

Good advice. I have a pair of Energy Suspensions ready to go. Saturday I'll go under there and put them on and make sure everything is nice and tight. Suspension Max end links have been on my list but I've been waiting for Core 4x4 to possibly release some fronts, so they match my rears, I'm a tad OCD.

I might just take my truck to the dealer. I dunno. I'll see when my cousin can spare some time and swap wheels/tires with me.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just think about it Core 4x4 has had ram products out for a while and still no front endlinks probably not gonna happen lol. So tell your OCD to get on board with the Suspension Maxx idea.

Detroitmikeb

Reaction score
Just think about it Core 4x4 has had ram products out for a while and still no front endlinks probably not gonna happen lol. So tell your OCD to get on board with the Suspension Maxx idea.

lol. I probably will. Check this out…

I bought a 2nd hellwig swaybar just to compare. I can return it on Amazon easily. Look at the difference. The arms sit at a different angle on the new one. They are angled up more. And yes they are both laying the same way.

Attachments

• IMG_0939.jpeg
    IMG_0939.jpeg
    277 KB · Views: 25

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
lol. I probably will. Check this out…

I bought a 2nd hellwig swaybar just to compare. I can return it on Amazon easily. Look at the difference. The arms sit at a different angle on the new one. They are angled up more. And yes they are both laying the same way.
Are they both 7709’s? Because Hellwig released a newer, beefier (7/8” vs 1” OD) sway bar.

Detroitmikeb

Reaction score
Are they both 7709’s? Because Hellwig released a newer, beefier (7/8” vs 1” OD) sway bar.
Checked my receipts. Both 7709

Attachments

• 126AC884-09F8-4EF4-B41E-4CF6BBA3CE67.jpeg
    126AC884-09F8-4EF4-B41E-4CF6BBA3CE67.jpeg
    57.7 KB · Views: 9

mplaramie

Reaction score
If both the first and second sway bars came from Amazon, one may be a knock off.....🤔

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Checked my receipts. Both 7709
Id reach out to Hellwig directly and show them. If I were them, I’d like to know if my product wasn’t up to par, or failing over time, or being bootlegged etc. They would know best. Maybe you got a bad bar the first time?

Detroitmikeb

Reaction score
Id reach out to Hellwig directly and show them. If I were them, I’d like to know if my product wasn’t up to par, or failing over time, or being bootlegged etc. They would know best. Maybe you got a bad bar the first time?
One is from realtruck.com and one is from Amazon. Hmmm. They both feel the same material wise? I haven’t driven my truck yet since swapping. I will soon.

Detroitmikeb

Reaction score
The one from amazkn’s box looks legit.

Attachments

• IMG_0945.jpeg
    IMG_0945.jpeg
    119.8 KB · Views: 9

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine came in a Blue (I think) and white box with Hellwig plastered on the Front/top big cover that you flip open. I also ordered mine from Amazon. Regardless of where they came from, reaching out to Hellwig directly would be best. As you stated and showed in the pictures, the geometry is significantly off which would concern me quite a bit.

Detroitmikeb

Reaction score
Mine came in a Blue (I think) and white box with Hellwig plastered on the Front/top big cover that you flip open. I also ordered mine from Amazon. Regardless of where they came from, reaching out to Hellwig directly would be best. As you stated and showed in the pictures, the geometry is significantly off which would concern me quite a bit.
Both of mine came in the same white box. No logos or anything. Odd. I’m going to email them.

Detroitmikeb

Reaction score
Guys it was that ****ing hellwig! Just drove with the new one, center setting and it’s phenomenal. I didn’t even need the 5100’s I guess but it feels more planted, firmer in a good way so whatever. But damn I swore I tried it with the stock swaybar.

When you mod, mod slowly one thing at a time. Lesson learned.

Here’s a pic just for fun.

Thanks for all the help!

Attachments

• IMG_0946.jpeg
    IMG_0946.jpeg
    288.5 KB · Views: 22

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Really lol thats unexpected

Users who are viewing this thread