5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone wanna help me with this mystery?

erikbmack

Reaction score
Hey all, was hoping one of you would mind offering some advice on tire size for my 2022 ram 1500 Bighorn. I just received my 3 inch BDS fox Coilover lift and am debating. BDS suggests 33x 12.5s but I have also been told to put 35's on. The lift provides 3' lift in the front and 1.5' in the rear. What would you suggest? Also, I attached images from the website of the setup. Would be eternally grateful if you could tell me the tire size you estimate in the image 😂
Here is the kit:
Screen Shot 2023-12-09 at 5.52.34 PM.png Screen Shot 2023-12-09 at 5.52.54 PM.png

mplaramie

Reaction score
Hey all, was hoping one of you would mind offering some advice on tire size for my 2022 ram 1500 Bighorn. I just received my 3 inch BDS fox Coilover lift and am debating. BDS suggests 33x 12.5s but I have also been told to put 35's on. The lift provides 3' lift in the front and 1.5' in the rear. What would you suggest? Also, I attached images from the website of the setup. Would be eternally grateful if you could tell me the tire size you estimate in the image 😂
Here is the kit:
View attachment 172495 View attachment 172496
Are you going to be using the stock rims or aftermarket? Knowing this would be helpful since the rim width and offset will affect tire fitment. Also, are you good with a little trimming or heat gun work? Personally, I wanted to NOT trim or heat anything.

Depending on your rim set up, you could look at 285/65/20 for example which is 11.2" wide and 34.5" vs a 35 x 12.5.

erikbmack

Reaction score
Are you going to be using the stock rims or aftermarket? Knowing this would be helpful since the rim width and offset will affect tire fitment. Also, are you good with a little trimming or heat gun work? Personally, I wanted to NOT trim or heat anything.

Depending on your rim set up, you could look at 285/65/20 for example which is 11.2" wide and 34.5" vs a 35 x 12.5.
My apologies for not addressing that- I will be upgrading to 18x9's with a -12 offset (to accommodate the larger UCAs). And because I plan to overland with this rig ( in addition to its use as my daily driver) I'd prefer to have minimal trimming if possible. to optimize articulation. I certainly am not trying to just stuff the largest wheel possible- just want something that is usable, fills the wheel well adequately, and makes trails more doable. Thanks for all of your help!

themust

Reaction score
90% it's the tires making you feel the road more. You are running an off-road tire with stiffer sidewalls. You can adjust it a little bit by tire pressure, but it's still going to be stiffer than your factory tires
I was going to ask what the replaced tires were for just this thought. I moved out of stiffer tires to better ones and it’s a night and day difference in ride. Long story.

themust

Reaction score
I’m still not 100% happy with the way the thing is driving. It has to be the wheels or tires. You don’t think +1 offset wheels would make the truck feel kinda unstable do you?

It’s almost like my body gets wobbled back and forth when I hit certain pieces of pavement.

The steering wheel is fine. It doesn’t pull or move or anything. No shake at all.

Just the actual suspension feels jittery. I’m so confused by this.

Tires?
You described perfectly what I was experiencing! Lots of suspension suspicion but was primarily tires. I also found the noise of those larger tires to be too much. The handling was poor, couldn’t accelerate from a damp stop sign without spinning, gas mileage dropped, speedometer was off, etc. etc. but they looked damn good! My larger 12.5x35x22 Toyama geolander X-at tires felt like I was riding atop the road, held there by gravity. My new cooper discover road and trail 285x45x22 own size tires feel like you are adhered to the road. They’re quiet (so now I hear wind noise at freeway speeds), 40% less expensive, better mileage, braking, acceleration (lighter tires make a huge difference in road performance) and my wife is no longer pissed I traded the buttery smooth ‘19 Laramie for the theoretically more luxurious Limited. The Yokohamas did look really good, though…..

Detroitmikeb

Reaction score
UPDATE:

So I ended up going with 5100's because I loved them on my Silverado. I had all 4 installed yesterday. I only went up .5" in the front, I like some rake and was just looking to resolve my "floaty" issue.

It hasn't really resolved it. The ride feels pretty much identical to how it did prior. It's just like I get tossed around a lot. I can feel the shocks working, going over bumps etc feels stiffer and more composed but I still get thrown around (not violent or anything) when driving. I just don't get it. I might try a different set of tires next.

Detroitmikeb

Reaction score
Anyone an alignment expert? How’s this look?

Attachments

• IMG_0930.jpeg
    IMG_0930.jpeg
    126.6 KB · Views: 33

mplaramie

Reaction score
I'm no expert but here is my alignment results after the Icon Stage 2 kit was installed for reference. One thing I remember from the alignment shop was that they use Rebel specs on lifted trucks.

Again, I'm no expert but hope this helps.

Attachments

• Alignment after Icon Stage 2.jpg
    Alignment after Icon Stage 2.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 27

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I can't see the vehicle description on the top of the page. But make sure it is for 5th Gen DT. I read somewhere on here that the specs were updated for 5th gens.

Detroitmikeb

Reaction score
I can't see the vehicle description on the top of the page. But make sure it is for 5th Gen DT. I read somewhere on here that the specs were updated for 5th gens.
The alignment? Yeah it says DT. I'm so frustrated. I can't figure out why my truck rocks back and forth and feels like a boat over uneven roads. This is getting expensive lol.

I don't have my stock wheels to put back on so I might beg someone local to swap with me to try it I guess.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You could always go rent a tradesman DT for the day or so and swap wheels and go drive around for a but if you cant find someone else locally to swap temporarily with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Ready Go

Reaction score
You could always go rent a tradesman DT for the day or so and swap wheels and go drive around for a but if you cant someone else local to swap temporary with.

Great idea!!
While you're at it.....

Attachments

• 20160424_134835.jpg
    20160424_134835.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 16

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I imagine unless you find a buddy locally.. finding a random that just willing to swap probably wont happen lol better off getting a rental for a day and gives you the day to swap and test.

Detroitmikeb

Reaction score
I imagine unless you find a buddy locally.. finding a random that just willing to swap probably wont happen lol better off getting a rental for a day and gives you the day to swap and test.

I don’t know why I didn’t think of it, my cousin has a 2020 with stock 20’s and stock size tires. I can try his.

Any chance this could be front sway bar links? I’ve seen people have issues with them even with really low miles.

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don’t know why I didn’t think of it, my cousin has a 2020 with stock 20’s and stock size tires. I can try his.

Any chance this could be front sway bar links? I’ve seen people have issues with them even with really low miles.
I don’t think it’s the front sway bar links causing the floaty feeling. But I eliminated the floaty feeling with Rough Country 2” struts in front, rear Hellwig set on firmest setting, and Core rear end links. No doubt the LT285/65r20 Yoko Geolander AT G015’s helped tremendously as well. My ride is much firmer and hugs corners nicely now. Pot holes/road hazards are still dampened nicely for a smooth ride without the float.

As for the alignment, I made sure my tire shop used the DT Rebel steel suspension 1” lift setting. To get as close as possibly after my lift etc was installed. Aligned all within acceptable specs according to the printout sheet they gave me.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Bingo even better

I don’t think it’ll be the swaybar links or bushings causing the float typically thats more or less a clunk

My money is issue w/ your tires rather if thats the air pressure or just a issue with the tire itself

Detroitmikeb

Reaction score
I don’t think it’s the front sway bar links causing the floaty feeling. But I eliminated the floaty feeling with Rough Country 2” struts in front, rear Hellwig set on firmest setting, and Core rear end links. No doubt the LT285/65r20 Yoko Geolander AT G015’s helped tremendously as well. My ride is much firmer and hugs corners nicely now. Pot holes/road hazards are still dampened nicely for a smooth ride without the float.

As for the alignment, I made sure my tire shop used the DT Rebel steel suspension 1” lift setting. To get as close as possibly after my lift etc was installed. Aligned all within acceptable specs according to the printout sheet they gave me.
I’ve been trying so many things. I have +1 wheels 275/60/20 SL TOYO AT3’s, hellwig rear sway bar on middle, core sway bar end links, core track bar, now the 5100 shocks with oem OFP springs set to .5 front.

I can feel it wants to handle so good but SOMETHING is making it rock back and forth. Like if I hit a minor little pothole with the left wheel it sends a ripple through the whole suspension. I don’t know how to explain it.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Bingo even better

I don’t think it’ll be the swaybar links or bushings causing the float typically thats more or less a clunk

My money is issue w/ your tires rather if thats the air pressure or just a issue with the tire itself

After my 5100s and 35" tires I was feeling a floating feeling. Jumped in the suspensionmaxx front end link bandwagon getting the set for lifted applications, and they made a difference. Definitely eliminated the floating feeling.

Users who are viewing this thread