5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone wanna help me with this mystery?

mplaramie

Reaction score
Late to this but when you installed the Core End Links, did you use the spacers? Some have put them on wrong and over tightened. If so, they ride like poop.

I too have the Core Trail end links with JJ and love them. They are paired with Hellwig and the ride is noticeably firm but very stable. This also due to load E tires.

Attachments

• 20230426_113209.jpg
    20230426_113209.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 56

Detroitmikeb

Reaction score
Late to this but when you installed the Core End Links, did you use the spacers? Some have put them on wrong and over tightened. If so, they ride like poop.

I too have the Core Trail end links with JJ and love them. They are paired with Hellwig and the ride is noticeably firm but very stable. This also due to load E tires.
I initially put the spacers in but it was weird because it caused my end links to lean in a bit like: \ / - if I didn't use spacers they were parallel. Definitely more firm with the spacers.

I torqued the top bolt and the bottom bolt to 65, is that what you did?

Detroitmikeb

Reaction score

Wait you might have done it different than me. In THAT photo, right to left is it, bolt, washer, Hellwig, core, spacer, washer nut?

I had it like this (see photo).

That's how he does it in the install video:

Attachments

• IMG_0313.JPG
    IMG_0313.JPG
    214.4 KB · Views: 52
  • Screenshot 2023-11-27 at 9.12.19 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-27 at 9.12.19 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 53

mplaramie

Reaction score
Wait you might have done it different than me. In THAT photo, right to left is it, bolt, washer, Hellwig, core, spacer, washer nut?

I had it like this (see photo).

That's how he does it in the install video:
Sorry about that. I sent the photo of them backwards and I had bounce. When I changed to the Core adjustable trackbar, up/lower control arms and end links, everything was perfect. And, I installed the end links correctly the second time. See pics.

Attachments

• 20231026_164045.jpg
    20231026_164045.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 41
  • 20231026_163916.jpg
    20231026_163916.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 41

Detroitmikeb

Reaction score
Sorry about that. I sent the photo of them backwards and I had bounce. When I changed to the Core adjustable trackbar, up/lower control arms and end links, everything was perfect. And, I installed the end links correctly the second time. See pics.
There we go lol. That’s how I had it.

Did you lift is that why you need the adjustable trackbar?

I have a factory lift (built to serve edition) but I assume I still go with the oem replacement? Did the track bar make any difference?

Last edited:

mplaramie

Reaction score
There we go lol. That’s how I had it.

Did you lift is that why you need the adjustable trackbar?

I have a factory lift (built to serve addition) but I assume I still go with the oem replacement? Did the track bar make any difference?
I do have 1.5" lift via springs/shocks in the rear. The trackbar just brings it together and give adjustability for the future.

Detroitmikeb

Reaction score
My wheels are -18 offset. Next set would be 0 to -12.
I’m still not 100% happy with the way the thing is driving. It has to be the wheels or tires. You don’t think +1 offset wheels would make the truck feel kinda unstable do you?

It’s almost like my body gets wobbled back and forth when I hit certain pieces of pavement.

The steering wheel is fine. It doesn’t pull or move or anything. No shake at all.

Just the actual suspension feels jittery. I’m so confused by this.

Tires?

mplaramie

Reaction score
I’m still not 100% happy with the way the thing is driving. It has to be the wheels or tires. You don’t think +1 offset wheels would make the truck feel kinda unstable do you?

It’s almost like my body gets wobbled back and forth when I hit certain pieces of pavement.

The steering wheel is fine. It doesn’t pull or move or anything. No shake at all.

Tires?
The +1 offset is no issue. Stock is +19. I may have already asked but are your AT3's load E (10ply)?

My gut tells me it's the tires. When I went to the Toyo AT3'S, it was weird at first hitting groves in pavement it pulled a little. Also felt a little faint vibration like running over little bumps at low speed when braking. Both are due to the tire being harder, tougher sidewalls and the aggressive tread vibration on the road.

The tossing you from side to side may be because the tires have less give to them and the suspension stuggling with heavier wheel/rim combo.

I'm no expert but that's my two cents....

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The +1 offset is no issue. Stock is +19. I may have already asked but are your AT3's load E (10ply)?

My gut tells me it's the tires. When I went to the Toyo AT3'S, it was weird at first hitting groves in pavement it pulled a little. Also felt a little faint vibration like running over little bumps at low speed when braking. Both are due to the tire being harder, tougher sidewalls and the aggressive tread vibration on the road.

The tossing you from side to side may be because the tires have less give to them and the suspension stuggling with heavier wheel/rim combo.

I'm no expert but that's my two cents....
That's what I said, in not so many words, in post 4

Ready Go

Reaction score

Tires?
I would tell you to dial back the rear sway bar setting, but looks like yours is OEM...so, I'll go back to what I said before...get some Eibach Pro-Truck struts/shocks.

I ordered the Sport set to go with my OEM springs and wheels/tires for now..to try to improve the "basic" setup as much as possible.

Later, I plan to go with a Stage2 setup when I go with aftermarket wheels and larger tires.

You should probably go with Stage1 to get the Eibach springs right away, or go to Stage2. The Eibachs are way better than OEM but will retain comfort while controlling your wheel/tire setup.

Also, upgrade that rear sway bar! (Just don't set it on the tightest setting) That'll tone down the sway, but solid axle vehicles always have some side-to-side "bounce"..it's inherent to the solid axle..four wheel independent suspension solves this, but not yet on the RAMs.

Last edited:

Detroitmikeb

Reaction score
they are SL 4 ply tires. The truck came with Wildpeak SL’s stock, could they be that much different? Not that I’m doubting you!

Detroitmikeb

Reaction score
You can get a full set of Eibach Pro-Truck Sport struts & shocks until midnight tomorrow for $455.60
Your off-road ATs and +1 wheels are possibly overwhelming the OEM set..the Eibachs will totally tame that down..and give you a more factory level ride quality.
I wish I would have ordered these.
I would tell you to dial back the rear sway bar setting, but looks like yours is OEM...so, I'll go back to what I said before...get some Eibach Pro-Truck struts/shocks.

I ordered the Sport set to go with my OEM springs and wheels/tires for now..to try to improve the "basic" setup as much as possible.

Later, I plan to go with a Stage2 setup when I go with aftermarket wheels and larger tires.

You should probably go with Stage1 to get the Eibach springs right away, or go to Stage2. The Eibachs are way better than OEM but will retain comfort while controlling your wheel/tire setup.

Also, upgrade that rear sway bar! (Just don't set it on the tightest setting) That'll tone down the sway, but solid axle vehicles always have some side-to-side "bounce"..it's inherent to the solid axle..four wheel independent suspension solves this, but not yet on the RAMs.
OK so I’m about to pull the trigger on Eibachs. I was debating 5100’s or the Eibachs and they won.

Could I get away with the shocks only using my OEM ORP springs? Only 6,000 miles on them or should I just go all in and get stage 2?

My truck is pretty much a pavement princess but our roads around here are garbage.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes stock Springs for the clip-based Eibachs is fine. Just have to run them a clip or 2 lower than specd to hit a given ride height, since BTS springs are already +1” lift.

Also they are more compliant than the Bilstiens; I’ve ran both on the same truck.

More to the point:

Physics say on paper that more negative offset exerts greater leverage on the suspension so in theory would yield a more compliant ride.

That’s on paper… I imagine the behind would be hard pressed (pun intended) to tell a difference.

However, that could matter because…

I doubt the SL tires are much less “soft” than oem. However they are much heavier with the new wheels. Folks often forget that weight is as much a reason to upgrade suspension as it is to get a lift.

If your stock shocks were at all defective or weak, 20% weight increase + the small increase in leverage from the wheel offset would make it harder for dampers to control all that kinetic energy.

Normally, what people feel as “jittery” is lack of rebound damping. Like the truck doesn’t settle down immediately after an impact. Immediately as in milliseconds after impact.

This as opposed to simply an unyielding impact with no absorption, which is a spring rate issue largely.

Stock Ram damping is pretty good. If you are lacking rebound control my bet is 1 or more defective shocks. This would also explain why handling went to crap after disconnecting sway bar… the SB was doing all the low speed damping.

Ready Go

Reaction score
I wish I would have ordered these.

OK so I’m about to pull the trigger on Eibachs. I was debating 5100’s or the Eibachs and they won.

Could I get away with the shocks only using my OEM ORP springs? Only 6,000 miles on them or should I just go all in and get stage 2?

My truck is pretty much a pavement princess but our roads around here are garbage.
Since you have the ORPs, I'd stick with them! I almost changed over to ORPs myself, but decided to try to tweak what I had instead.

I'm gonna clip my Eibachs on the 3rd ring for 1.2" F lift. You'd maybe want to go with the 2nd ring for 1.6" lift..but ultimately you'll have to decide.

Here's the Eibach guide, just remember, add 1" to each of these clip placements since you have 1" ORP springs already.

CONGRATS, I think you'll be happy with this!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231124_141545.jpg
    Screenshot_20231124_141545.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 20

Detroitmikeb

Reaction score
Everyone in this thread has been helpful but Calvin I think you really described what was going on.

Ok I have a BTS that has a 1” lift. I’m going to get the Eibach struts to use with my stock springs and probably put the fronts on ring 2 to bring it up just a hair.

I’ll report back when they are installed!

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread