5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone running the Uniden R7 in their Gen 5?

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Just bought one for $374. Will be putting it through the paces on my upcoming trip to Florida and see how I like it.

NightRAM

Reaction score
Got it for $338 about 2 months ago. Love it! Bayou Goat Mount is fantastic btw.

Attachments

• 8320EADE-92F1-4063-8B1B-0BF6131473AC.jpeg
    8320EADE-92F1-4063-8B1B-0BF6131473AC.jpeg
    135.9 KB · Views: 56
  • 25CD45A0-01FE-4A7D-A104-F1C382190673.jpeg
    25CD45A0-01FE-4A7D-A104-F1C382190673.jpeg
    104.3 KB · Views: 55
  • B8B3E1F8-4B92-4B61-992C-A85A4A56ECC6.jpeg
    B8B3E1F8-4B92-4B61-992C-A85A4A56ECC6.jpeg
    125.2 KB · Views: 55

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Received mine a few hours ago and I’ve been getting the hang of it. Upgraded firmware to 1.35 and tweaked all the settings as recommended by Vortex. Pretty sweet so far. Loving the OLED color screen and large clear text and icons. No alerts around town so far, which is a good thing.

C3C6BDC0-E21E-4867-8BDA-8DCD3CEADAE4.jpeg

frostymug

Reaction score
Received mine a few hours ago and I’ve been getting the hang of it. Upgraded firmware to 1.35 and tweaked all the settings as recommended by Vortex. Pretty sweet so far. Loving the OLED color screen and large clear text and icons. No alerts around town so far, which is a good thing.

View attachment 85596
Sweet! Did you have any radar detector before this one?

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Sweet! Did you have any radar detector before this one?
Yeah, a five-year old V1. It’s been great and saved my hide many times, but it is very chatty with no BSM filtering. I also have the BT connector to do lockouts with the V1 Driver App, which I wanted to get away from and have something with a built-in GPS sensor to simplify my setup.

KCViper

Reaction score

View attachment 85596
Looks like a nice and clean install. I've got my new R7 and just waiting for the hardwire kit to arrive and then I'll install. Many thanks to @securityguy for all the help and answering my questions!!

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Looks like a nice and clean install. I've got my new R7 and just waiting for the hardwire kit to arrive and then I'll install. Many thanks to @securityguy for all the help and answering my questions!!
Thanks. Used existing V1 wiring (it’s wired to the ODB port, so it turns on/off with the ignition).

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
BTW. This thing is indeed friggin sweet. Just made a trip to Florida today, and Zero BSM falses in >600 miles.
Also, the range is unreal. Picked up Alabama state troopers KA radar from ~3 miles out. Pretty stoked so far.

KCViper

Reaction score
BTW. This thing is indeed friggin sweet. Just made a trip to Florida today, and Zero BSM falses in >600 miles.
Also, the range is unreal. Picked up Alabama state troopers KA radar from ~3 miles out. Pretty stoked so far.
I've been using the R3 for years now (ex V1 user) and really like it. Stoked to get the R7 up and running in the new truck!! It's a great RD for sure!!

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Doesn’t that impact picking up radar from the rear?
It does, yes. The arrows aren't as accurate either. I just refuse to have it up on the windshield for the world to see. There's nowhere to hide up high on the 5th gen Ram's.

TTU14

Reaction score
I have a Radar Mount brand mirror mount holding my R3 below the mirror. I ran a wire through the headliner, down the pillar and to the F66 fuse. The only thing I don't like about it is that it restricts movement of the mirror a bit. I've got it set in a spot that works for me, but if my wife drives she can't get the mirror adjusted to a good spot.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have a Radar Mount brand mirror mount holding my R3 below the mirror. I ran a wire through the headliner, down the pillar and to the F66 fuse. The only thing I don't like about it is that it restricts movement of the mirror a bit. I've got it set in a spot that works for me, but if my wife drives she can't get the mirror adjusted to a good spot.
Same here with my Blendmount. However, I am the only one that drives it so it's a non-issue.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I had my V1 on a blend mount clone and it worked great. However, the single large suction cup mount that came with the R7 works event better. I have it high on the windshield and it’s nice and sturdy. You can’t even tell what it is from the outside

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
So here's a six-week update. I absolutely love the R7. I literally have received two, perhaps three false alerts in that timeframe. Quietest RD I've ever had, and the range is out of this world.
Auto-lockouts and Quiet Ride have been flawless as well.

Wow, just wow! If you haven't, just get one already!

Cheers,

Volman197020

Reaction score
I need some help on deciding to mount it up high to the left of the RVM. Already ordered the direct wire kit, but then realized that it keeps me from being able to use the drivers visor. I have it mounted with the large suction cup mount.

I don't really like the idea of mounting it below the mirror for the whole world to see. Also, mounting it low center isn't very aesthetic due to the coiled cord hanging down.

Anyone know of a better location/mounting method?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I need some help on deciding to mount it up high to the left of the RVM. Already ordered the direct wire kit, but then realized that it keeps me from being able to use the drivers visor. I have it mounted with the large suction cup mount.

I don't really like the idea of mounting it below the mirror for the whole world to see. Also, mounting it low center isn't very aesthetic due to the coiled cord hanging down.

Anyone know of a better location/mounting method?
Buy a Blendmount and attach it to the Rear View Mirror stalk.

RamCam7.jpg
RAM_R7_2021.JPG

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Recent 1.37 update makes the R7 even better. Updated about a week ago, and lockouts and arrow direction perform significantly better. Great RD!!!

Users who are viewing this thread