5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Status
Not open for further replies.

utlong31

Reaction score
It's rumored that the Hemi had issues with idling causing the lifters to fail due to sufficient lubrication at idle. I would hope the Hurricane will be better

f3642398b72bdc75d2f5edcd74faf68a.jpg

Current 2022 Hemi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RVTRKN

Reaction score
With the overhead cams, its going to be timing chain rails and chain wear. IMHO, lifter damage is due to racing engines RPM's then suddenly letting off the throttle. Full throttle then stops is bad for any engine regardless of make, type or construction. Passing another vehicle when "getting on it" should be a slow deceleration, not braking when at high RPM's.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's rumored that the Hemi had issues with idling causing the lifters to fail due to sufficient lubrication at idle. I would hope the Hurricane will be better
That rumor has been debunked long ago

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

There are tons of cases where the hemi idles without lifter failure. That rumour is caused by youtuberz who don't understand the difference between correlation and causation.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nobody will ever convince me that the ever changing oil specs on the 5.7 engine didn't have something to do with it. They made those engines for 21 years and only updated it once in 2009, but if you go through all the yearly manuals you see 3 or 4 different oil specs. CLEARLY this was for EPA certification and not engine longevity. First thing I did to mine was dump the 0W20 and go to 5W30 and all the ticking and valvetrain noise disappeared immediately. I probably could have gone 5W40 for summer use and it would have made the old fashioned 5.7 even happier.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Nobody will ever convince me that the ever changing oil specs on the 5.7 engine didn't have something to do with it. They made those engines for 21 years and only updated it once in 2009, but if you go through all the yearly manuals you see 3 or 4 different oil specs. CLEARLY this was for EPA certification and not engine longevity. First thing I did to mine was dump the 0W20 and go to 5W30 and all the ticking and valvetrain noise disappeared immediately. I probably could have gone 5W40 for summer use and it would have made the old fashioned 5.7 even happier.
Maybe the changes were an attempt to get better oiling to the lifters to prevent failure. Thinner oil pumps easier and will get into the lifters faster

stevieb92

Reaction score
Maybe the changes were an attempt to get better oiling to the lifters to prevent failure. Thinner oil pumps easier and will get into the lifters faster
I suspect the increased film strength of the higher viscosity oil plays a larger part in preventing failure.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I suspect the increased film strength of the higher viscosity oil plays a larger part in preventing failure.
As long as it can get there. Tighter clearances negate benefit of high viscosity on modern engines, if the clearances are too tight for the oil to get there

stevieb92

Reaction score
As long as it can get there. Tighter clearances negate benefit of high viscosity on modern engines, if the clearances are too tight for the oil to get there
The clearances aren't that much tighter that would reduce the oil flow to zero.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You already have people saying the issues is oil starvation, now you want to increase the likelihood of less oil flow?

RVTRKN

Reaction score
I'll change the subject, I just drove a 2024 Ford 150 4X4 Ford Platinum 300 miles with the 3.5 Ecoboost Hybrid. Even though I haven't drove the new Ram 1500 SST, the posts here makes it clear about the Ram's behavior. It only got 18.5 MPG, and thats a Hybrid, in bumber to bumper or in slow neighborhoods, it ran on batteries. I then Drove a 2022 Ford 150 King Ranch 3.5 Ecoboost for 300 miles and it got the same milage. The 2024 had 6 miles on the dash, so it was virgin miles for the computer. I didn't hand calculate because I couldn't fill the tanks, they are not mine nor did I want to donate that, so its just displayed MPG. The engines had rough idles and a slight turbo lag, but they did have power, however I felt my Hemi was better, and it got 20 MPG on the same route, but then I'm biased.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
BTW, that 2024 F150 MSRP was $81K o_O

Last edited:

vdrsnk04

Reaction score
If you were in bumper to bumper traffic, your Hemi doesn’t get 20mpg no matter how much you want to lie to yourself.

terb

Reaction score
Where is the second battery located on the 2025s with the...... Stop / Start Dual–Battery System?

stevieb92

Reaction score
You already have people saying the issues is oil starvation, now you want to increase the likelihood of less oil flow?
It's all speculation at this point since nothing has ever been scientifically proven to be the culprit. I'd still take the higher film strength oil at a slightly reduced flow rate. Why do you think the hellcats run 0w-40? Higher bearing loads need higher film strength. I understand the hellcats have higher flow oil pumps, but the 5.7 oil pump is still capable of providing sufficient lubrication. In my opinion, the oil pump isn't the real issue, it's probably the substandard material in the cam and lifter roller issues. Putting a hellcat oil pump in a 5.7 is a bandaid fix, not a root cause fix.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
If you were in bumper to bumper traffic, your Hemi doesn’t get 20mpg no matter how much you want to lie to yourself.
Well it didn't help the Ecoboost apparently at 18.5 MPG vrs my 20 MPG W/O a hybrid system, in the same 300 mile stretch.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's all speculation at this point since nothing has ever been scientifically proven to be the culprit. I'd still take the higher film strength oil at a slightly reduced flow rate. Why do you think the hellcats run 0w-40? Higher bearing loads need higher film strength. I understand the hellcats have higher flow oil pumps, but the 5.7 oil pump is still capable of providing sufficient lubrication. In my opinion, the oil pump isn't the real issue, it's probably the substandard material in the cam and lifter roller issues. Putting a hellcat oil pump in a 5.7 is a bandaid fix, not a root cause fix.
Putting a hellcat oil pump in a 5.7 also causes check engine light for high oil pressure. Meaning the engines aren't built with same tolerances, or the oil passages in hellcat are bigger.

stevieb92

Reaction score
Putting a hellcat oil pump in a 5.7 also causes check engine light for high oil pressure. Meaning the engines aren't built with same tolerances, or the oil passages in hellcat are bigger.

Obviously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread