5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Status
Not open for further replies.

azzx

Reaction score
I don’t think it was a nonsense comparison, but I more so enjoyed the video not as a comparison but as a showing of what the hurricane can do and after they found out that if you downshift manually it handles much better.
Yeh - I was a bit harsh, it is entertainment after all.

Even if both RAMs had 5.7, the Rebel's #s would have been lower. Reble sits higher than Laramie, has off roadish tires and this example had every option and weight more than Laramie. Any how close enough.
RAM may have an issue when RHO hits the market. Fully loaded RHO $ will be close to a loaded Rebel. RHO has the HO engine and better suspension.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I posted most 1/2 ton owners overload there trucks, not grossly overload them, then there are owners that way overload them, like glamis trips. OK poor choice of words but it still happens.

I noticed last night that the F-150 which claims the #1 spot in "1/2 ton" towing at 14,000 lbs. has a lot of fine print in the towing guide. Apparently, if you do not use a weight distribution hitch you are limited to 5,000 lbs. I probably see 1% or fewer of people out on the roads using weight distributing, which means that technically all of them are overloading their trucks.

There's a lot in the fine print for most brands. Weight distribution is a must, 60 sq/ft is the max frontal area of the trailer/camper, etc. etc. Most people never even bother to look.

If you step up to 3/4 ton and above most of the hitch requirements go away because the class V hitches are so strong, as are the frames and chassis. But on a 1/2 ton you see them overloaded every single day.

MT755

Reaction score
Pretty silly to have a 3.21 Hemi and 3.92 Hurricane.

I was thinking about the down hill issues with the Hurricane and how many brake applications you had to do. ZF makes a great transmission but Stelantis programming engineers need help. Not down shifting to the needed gear is sad. They should have know that having half the displacement would require higher rpm's going down hill. The turbos won't help going down hill.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I was thinking about the down hill issues with the Hurricane and how many brake applications you had to do. ZF makes a great transmission but Stelantis programming engineers need help. Not down shifting to the needed gear is sad. They should have know that having half the displacement would require higher rpm's going down hill. The turbos won't help going down hill.
Turbos do help the straight 6 downhill. They provide more back pressure than a free flowing exhaust without turbos. But they definitely needed another downshift to make the most of jt

Gren71

Reaction score
I noticed last night that the F-150 which claims the #1 spot in "1/2 ton" towing at 14,000 lbs. has a lot of fine print in the towing guide. Apparently, if you do not use a weight distribution hitch you are limited to 5,000 lbs. I probably see 1% or fewer of people out on the roads using weight distributing, which means that technically all of them are overloading their trucks.

There's a lot in the fine print for most brands. Weight distribution is a must, 60 sq/ft is the max frontal area of the trailer/camper, etc. etc. Most people never even bother to look.

If you step up to 3/4 ton and above most of the hitch requirements go away because the class V hitches are so strong, as are the frames and chassis. But on a 1/2 ton you see them overloaded every single day.
With my gladiator it had the allowed frontal areas listed in the manual. I cant find anything for the rams 6 than a definition of what it means in the owners manual. In retrospect i should have gone 2500…but im committed unless incentives are amazing or a lot of stars align .

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I think that’s a good rule of thumb for half tons.
HDs are good for the “just set it on the hitch ball and let’s go” jobs.

But the fine print goes on forever…

Those specs over 11k lbs also require things like base trim, 2wd and non-crew cab. Those mighty payload figures are only available on a Heavy Duty Half ton package that is special order only and practically nonexistent.

Every manufacturer has these little special packages that let them make certain claims, but the mid to upper trim crew cab 4x4s of all brands all tow materially the same amount, by the numbers anyway.

dammitbobby

Reaction score
Yeh - I was a bit harsh, it is entertainment after all.

Even if both RAMs had 5.7, the Rebel's #s would have been lower. Reble sits higher than Laramie, has off roadish tires and this example had every option and weight more than Laramie. Any how close enough.
RAM may have an issue when RHO hits the market. Fully loaded RHO $ will be close to a loaded Rebel. RHO has the HO engine and better suspension.
Yeah… it’s weird it’s almost like they changed pricing with the RHO that isn’t reflected in the rest of the lineup.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

The difference between a well equipped Rebel and RHO with similar options is about $10k. Not that close, but for $10k more, I'd buy the RHO.

dammitbobby

Reaction score
The difference between a well equipped Rebel and RHO with similar options is about $10k. Not that close, but for $10k more, I'd buy the RHO.
Eh not necessarily, if you order from a big dealer like Koons or mark dodge they’re offering 10k off factory orders on the RHO. So you can essentially get a fully loaded RHO for around 71-72k a rebel that is similarly equipped is probably around 67-68k from those same dealers so for less than 5k its WELLL worth it in my opinion. I actually struggled deciding between he limited I ordered and the RHO, only real reasons I decided against the RHO were id never fit it in my garage and I doubt it will ship before closer to the end of the year.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Eh not necessarily, if you order from a big dealer like Koons or mark dodge they’re offering 10k off factory orders on the RHO. So you can essentially get a fully loaded RHO for around 71-72k a rebel that is similarly equipped is probably around 67-68k from those same dealers so for less than 5k its WELLL worth it in my opinion. I actually struggled deciding between he limited I ordered and the RHO, only real reasons I decided against the RHO were id never fit it in my garage and I doubt it will ship before closer to the end of the year.

They are doing similar deals for the Rebel. Also, that's not an apples to apples comparison.

Dewey

Reaction score
I actually struggled deciding between he limited I ordered and the RHO, only real reasons I decided against the RHO were id never fit it in my garage and I doubt it will ship before closer to the end of the year.
Any idea what the height is on the RHO? I could look it up but thought maybe you know offhand.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Pretty silly to have a 3.21 Hemi and 3.92 Hurricane.
Unfortunately we'll never know either, at least per the online Ram build guide. If you option the 3.0 its 3:55 and allows you to option 3:92, if you chose the 3:21 option, it kicks you back to the V6.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Unfortunately we'll never know either, at least per the online Ram build guide. If you option the 3.0 its 3:55 and allows you to option 3:92, if you chose the 3:21 option, it kicks you back to the V6.

You can get 3.21 gears and the 3.0 on the 2WD model.

utlong31

Reaction score
So how do you think the new i6 with the turbos will hold up to a lot of idle time. The reason I’m asking is I work out of my truck and see a significant amount of idle time and was wondering how this one might hold up to that. I’m looking at getting a new truck before the end of the year and I’m really considering the RHO. I know the Cummins would be better and I’ve looked at a few 2500 but I don’t need that much truck and I would rather have the suspension set up on the RHO. I’ve spent a good amount of money on my Laramie getting it comfortable when driving on the rough lease roads I travel on every day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RVTRKN

Reaction score
I finally watched the video comparing the Hemi vrs Hurricane, and they didn’t match up well. The slower times to 60 was a no brainer with 3:21 rear diff Hemi. The downhill comparison was also off a little, when he manually chose the gear at the end, then claimed that was why he had to brake so much. The next comparison should be the same truck, but both have 3:92’s and do the whole comparison again. I think the hurricane will do better, after watching several demonstrations on YouTube, but it’ll be closer than the video comparison. The milage will also be closer, with the 3:21, it’s harder on the engine. The 3:21 on level vrs the 3:92 on level will get better mpg, but it’s easier on the engine with 3:92, but to climb that grade, it’s an unfair comparison. At the end of the uphill grade, he stated no more throttle to maintain speed with the Hemi, that is related to the 3:21 diff.

MT755

Reaction score
So how do you think the new i6 with the turbos will hold up to a lot of idle time. The reason I’m asking is I work out of my truck and see a significant amount of idle time and was wondering how this one might hold up to that. I’m looking at getting a new truck before the end of the year and I’m really considering the RHO. I know the Cummins would be better and I’ve looked at a few 2500 but I don’t need that much truck and I would rather have the suspension set up on the RHO. I’ve spent a good amount of money on my Laramie getting it comfortable when driving on the rough lease roads I travel on every day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's rumored that the Hemi had issues with idling causing the lifters to fail due to sufficient lubrication at idle. I would hope the Hurricane will be better

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's rumored that the Hemi had issues with idling causing the lifters to fail due to sufficient lubrication at idle. I would hope the Hurricane will be better
There are lots of rumors about what causes the lifter/cam issues out there. Idling is bad, MDS causes lifter failures, disabling MDS causes lifter failures, cams are too soft, needle bearings in lifter rollers are too small, cam is mounted too high in the block, among others I can't think of at the moment. The problem is that none of those things has been proven. So in the end all you can do is maintain them to the best of your ability and enjoy driving our trucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread