5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lonepeak

Reaction score
Unless we are an owner or have firsthand information from someone who is it seems we should stay here. There are several other threads related to orders, etc. besides this one. I will certainly be looking at that thread as I intend to be an owner later this summer but couldn't add anything to what an owner could.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wow, I couldn't read all the nonsense here but I did get this far to post from @Ramroo

Ramroo, can I point out that some nice 3.92 rears might get you that torque you are looking for? It is power at the wheels that counts.

You ain't my Bro either! 🤣

Hey, I know what a “nice rear “ is. 🫴

We are kinda like blood brothers.

”I came here to die with you, or live with you. Dying ain’t so hard for men like you and me,
its livin that’s hard.“ Josey Wales

I say we go over to new 2025 thread and talk about “nice” rear ends. 🤡

Last edited:

MT755

Reaction score
I disagree, the test is consistent and shows relative numbers compared to other cars/trucks/engines. If you see higher numbers in the EPA for truck A vs truck B, its almost guaranteed that regardless of your driving style you will get better MPG in truck A. Your conditions might not be good enough to get the exact number the EPA got, but you should be getting better in the truck they got better in vs a truck they go worse in.

Where people go wrong is driving at 75mph expecting to meet or beat those numbers.

They could improve the testing by making brands get tested for every specific trim that can change the numbers significantly, so something like a rebel should definitely be retested vs a tradesman 3.21.

I have no trouble matching and exceeding EPA numbers in my truck whatsoever, but I sit at 60 to 65 mpg while doing so as well. I get that not everybody has the stomach for that, but then the relative numbers (truck A vs B) are still useful even if you don't get the exact numbers on the sheet.
I agree with that's a good way to compare a to b but like you said, you have to drive slow and accelerate slowly to get published highway mpg. My dad probably could accomplish the ratings. I'm not a speed demon but I've only got published highway numbers a couple times and that was with my TRX. The funny part is I usually get the numbers for combined, for my actual combined and hyway miles on all vehicles.

If I remember right the highway test has a max speed of 50 and that's only for half of the test.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I agree with that's a good way to compare a to b but like you said, you have to drive slow and accelerate slowly to get published highway mpg. My dad probably could accomplish the ratings. I'm not a speed demon but I've only got published highway numbers a couple times and that was with my TRX. The funny part is I usually get the numbers for combined, for my actual combined and hyway miles on all vehicles.

If I remember right the highway test has a max speed of 50 and that's only for half of the test.

That's fair, they could probably bump up the speed to 60 instead of 50 to make it a little more "real world".

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

The US EPA requires automakers to test their vehicles' fuel economy using five standardized driving cycles, or test schedules, each year:

City test
Simulates a 7.5-mile trip with stop-and-go traffic, and can be performed with a cold or hot start. HVAC is not used, and the test can take almost 23 minutes to complete.

Highway test
Can take about 10 minutes to complete, and averages 48 mph with no stops. HVAC is not used.

High speed test
Also known as US06, this test includes accelerations and slow-downs, including several climbs from 0 mph to over 60 mph, and can reach a top speed of 80 mph. HVAC is not used.

Hot test
Performed at 95° F, with the HVAC set to cool the cabin.

Cold test
Performed at 20° F, with the HVAC set to specific settings for heat and defrost.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
My 2020 Hemi / 3:21 / 4X4 is 15 city 21 highway and 17 overall average on the window sticker, as I posted earlier, I got 21 on Highway to Commifornia from Nashville (Franklin Kentucky). It would seem like the window sticker was right, however I was real easy on the throttle and kept it at 65 or posted speed limit if under 65. I was impressed with the milage, but I knew it would drop considerably if I drove the speed limit at 70/75 mph. I went to see my Father because of our distance apart and his age, so I took the time to see him. Because of the costs of fuel and he is too old to pick me up 2 hrs from the Airport, driving made better since. I got 20 mpg on the return, but I took a slight detour as I discussed with azzx. So I believe the window sticker is not accurate.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I used to get right on the numbers with my 2019 Ram Hemi 3.21 hears 21-22 highway had to keep it around 70 MPH. you get around 75-80 and it would be around 19-20 MPG. Havn't really tested the Hurricane on a highway trip yet

MT755

Reaction score
My 2020 Hemi / 3:21 / 4X4 is 15 city 21 highway and 17 overall average on the window sticker, as I posted earlier, I got 21 on Highway to Commifornia from Nashville (Franklin Kentucky). It would seem like the window sticker was right, however I was real easy on the throttle and kept it at 65 or posted speed limit if under 65. I was impressed with the milage, but I knew it would drop considerably if I drove the speed limit at 70/75 mph. I went to see my Father because of our distance apart and his age, so I took the time to see him. Because of the costs of fuel and he is too old to pick me up 2 hrs from the Airport, driving made better since. I got 20 mpg on the return, but I took a slight detour as I discussed with azzx. So I believe the window sticker is not accurate.
For me to get that mpg, I'd need wind at my back and 50 psi inches tires lol

RVTRKN

Reaction score
For me to get that mpg, I'd need wind at my back and 50 psi inches tires lol
I'll assume then you have a Hemi with 3:92 rear diff. You have no signature, so we can't see what truck you have. I don't know if this is sarcastic or your truck is geared low. However I do have all receipts, and I recorded Dash MPG as well as hand calculated for ever gallon pumped. The Digital readout is close enough that I don't worry about hand calculating MPG, unless I'm on a major trip.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Glad trip was a success. But those speeds are borderline dangerous, too stressful for me.

I would either be a dead man, or murderer if I was traveling with the little lady at those speeds.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Again off track from the original thread, but I will quickly answer your worry. At 65 MPH, I stay within the Semi's, most travel at 65 and most are governed at 65, until you enter most urban areas or your in Commifornia. In Commifornia trucks are regulated at 55 mph anywhere in the State. FWIW, when I went in to port in Long Beach Ca., picking up 40' containers for XXX trucking, I never did 55 MPH, I always ran at my governed speed of 65, I even had CHP on my ash waiting for me to clear the sheep doing 55 several times and not pull me over. Never the less I'm able to drive safely in and out of lanes. I did have one ash hole wanting to do 80 in a 65 (common in Comifornia) flashing his lights flipping me off on the 58 through tehachapi pass that had a long lane closure. :censored:

Last edited:

PetePA

Reaction score
Again off track from the original thread, but I will quickly answer your worry. At 65 MPH, I stay within the Semi's, most travel at 65 and most are governed at 65, until you enter most urban areas or your in Commifornia. In Commifornia trucks are regulated at 55 mph anywhere in the State. FWIW, when I went in to port in Long Beach Ca., picking up 40' containers for XXX trucking, I never did 55 MPH, I always ran at my governed speed of 65, I even had CHP on my ash waiting for me to clear the sheep doing 55 several times and not pull me over. Never the less I'm able to drive safely in and out of lanes. I did have one ash hole wanting to do 80 in a 65 (common in Comifornia) flashing his lights flipping me off on the 58 through tehachapi pass that had a long lane closure. :censored:
I love it! Serves that idiot right. People like that shouldn't be allowed to drive.

MT755

Reaction score
I'll assume then you have a Hemi with 3:92 rear diff. You have no signature, so we can't see what truck you have. I don't know if this is sarcastic or your truck is geared low. However I do have all receipts, and I recorded Dash MPG as well as hand calculated for ever gallon pumped. The Digital readout is close enough that I don't worry about hand calculating MPG, unless I'm on a major trip.
I wasn't doubting you, I was referencing myself.

2023 trx,
2016 1500 limited,
14 jeep gc 3.7.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Pretty silly to have a 3.21 Hemi and 3.92 Hurricane.
Pretty silly to compare a Laramie to a Rebel as well. But it's what they had available to use.the Rebel is TFLs new truck, sounds like they borrowed the Laramie

azzx

Reaction score
Saw it too -- nonsense comparison for the sake of another useless episode filled with meaningless horeshit results ------------ Granny Smith apples compared to Macintosh apples.

They did not even complete the real data capture for the 2025 uphill test.
I could not give a rat's rear end about any of these meaningless comparisons between 5.7 and 3.0. Don't have a favorite engine yet. Bought the 3.0 so it better be good!

dammitbobby

Reaction score
I don’t think it was a nonsense comparison, but I more so enjoyed the video not as a comparison but as a showing of what the hurricane can do and after they found out that if you downshift manually it handles much better.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
I didn't watch either run up the grade, I'm failure with those guys comparing HD trucks, there mostly honest on comparisons. But I did watch the trailer brake controller setup on the new dash, its about time Ram got it right, unfortunately with the 3.0, @azzx would be interested with the trailer brake controller setup on the video. I'll watch full video later, when were done with family movie time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread