5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Any trailer that exceeds 3000lbs requires trailer brakes. So they could have been towing a small car trailer and total weight not over 5000lbs and still have trailer brakes. That's not heavy towing even for a 1/2 ton
Correct but when the trailer GVWR is low, say 5K lbs

IMG_0713.jpeg
Then they are equipped with surge brakes IMG_0714.jpeg
And this is my heaviest tow since I sold my 3500 with my 34’ Arctic Fox 5ver with a GCW of 22K lbs. IMG_0710.jpeg

image.jpg
Who the hell are you that tells me what I’ve towed, I’ve pulled 80k with my commercial lic you Bonehead, now do you want to get back to facts or your ESP apparently.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Oh and I forgot about the 10 ton tractors with M60 tanks on top of the dragon wagons when I was stationed at Fort Hood. ;)

AleksanderSuave

Reaction score
You must be new here.
Checks profile date.
Nailed it.
So having registered for a forum before someone else is a merit badge now? We should get you a trophy. Does "forum posts" count somehow relate to automotive knowledge? truck knowledge? ANY knowledge?

Sounds an awful lot like the "participation trophy" generation guys like you seem to repeatedly whine about.
Congratulations on joining an internet forum before others. Your contribution to humanity cannot be praised enough.

If you're not interested in a 2025, why are you wasting so much of your energy and free time talking about it?

Slow day at the senior center?

AleksanderSuave

Reaction score
BowDown, our savior. I'm from SoCal originally and you'd have too see all the 1500's making their way South to Glamis Dunes, with there toy haulers crushing their rear suspensions.

I'm sorry your tree fell, we just lost a lot of trees to an 85mph (per NWA) wind that damaged homes and some lost power for 24hrs, we lost power and water for 8hrs.
"trucks I've seen" in "X" area doing "X" activity.
Thats about as scientific or relevant as driving to your closest walmart and saying "what I saw in the parking lot is a sample of the world at large"

AleksanderSuave

Reaction score
No. Only one comes from the factory that way.

Ha. That is a major redesign you just asked for, not a simple change at all.

The funny part is that it’s YOU who didn’t do enough research. Cars without port injection and only direct injection have been able to avoid excessive carbon buildup for several years now. I’ve lived it - I had to get my 335i’s N54 engine walnut blasted because of carbon build up. Haven’t had to touch any of my BMWs or Mercedes produced after 2015, two of which I’ve kept long term and are putting down the same performance figures at ~90k mi as they did at 15k mi.

Here’s an article for you: Direct Injection Engines and Carbon Deposits - Engine Builder Magazine
100% spot on. I was pretty active in the tuning community for b58s. Walnut blasting in these modern engines (post-n54 specifically) N55/S55 B58/S58 is more or less nonexistent now. The word has changed a LOT in turbo inline 6's since the early 2000s.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Correct but when the trailer GVWR is low, say 5K lbs

View attachment 184050
Then they are equipped with surge brakes View attachment 184051
And this is my heaviest tow since I sold my 3500 with my 34’ Arctic Fox 5ver with a GCW of 22K lbs. View attachment 184052

View attachment 184053
Who the hell are you that tells me what I’ve towed, I’ve pulled 80k with my commercial lic you Bonehead, now do you want to get back to facts or your ESP apparently.
For someone who all of a sudden seems to know so much about towing, and decided to list their resume, you sure didn't act like it earlier.

Claiming having air bugs and electric brakes on a trailer means they must have been heavy hauling. Saying "most" 1/2 tons haul heavy because you see a few idiots from SoCal doing it. Give it up. My dad has an enclosed utility trailer with electric brakes. Probably never sees more than 7k lbs total weight when loaded, since it's just a utility trailer. That's not that heavy, even for a 1/2 ton. I've towed it with my truck. Caused enough sag, air ags would have been nice, but was well within my tow capacity for my truck.

Attachments

• IMG_20230619_145541_013.jpg
    IMG_20230619_145541_013.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 12

azzx

Reaction score
Well folks - another important public service announcement.
If you are going to order/buy a 2025, make sure that you order the trailer controller from the factory. It is a $290 option.
At this point, dealers have no clue about adding this.
Mine did not come with one, I did order the controller that supposedly should work on 2025.
Went to my dealer for installation this morning.

1- the controller cannot be mounted under the dash like the older models
2- the tech could not find any wires under the dash
3- dealer has no clue about the correct part / location - they will call the factory to get more info.
4- 2025 has a completely different wiring harness / electrical system architecture.
I have another thread on this specific topic - per Jimmy, the controller is mounted behind the back seat. He posted a picture.

So, I will wait and see what the dealer is going to come back with.

Last edited:

RVTRKN

Reaction score
"trucks I've seen" in "X" area doing "X" activity.
Thats about as scientific or relevant as driving to your closest walmart and saying "what I saw in the parking lot is a sample of the world at large"
I guess I'll have to see my optometrist to see (no pun intended) if my eyes deceives my reality, not yours.
I know I've parked overnight at 22K and 80K, in Walmarts to save the ridiculous campground costs and no parking at truck stops, as well as many others, commercial and private, maybe you can do your research there.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
For someone who all of a sudden seems to know so much about towing, and decided to list their resume, you sure didn't act like it earlier.

Claiming having air bugs and electric brakes on a trailer means they must have been heavy hauling. Saying "most" 1/2 tons haul heavy because you see a few idiots from SoCal doing it. Give it up. My dad has an enclosed utility trailer with electric brakes. Probably never sees more than 7k lbs total weight when loaded, since it's just a utility trailer. That's not that heavy, even for a 1/2 ton. I've towed it with my truck. Caused enough sag, air ags would have been nice, but was well within my tow capacity for my truc
I posted most 1/2 ton owners overload there trucks, not grossly overload them, then there are owners that way overload them, like glamis trips. OK poor choice of words but it still happens.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So having registered for a forum before someone else is a merit badge now? We should get you a trophy. Does "forum posts" count somehow relate to automotive knowledge? truck knowledge? ANY knowledge?

Sounds an awful lot like the "participation trophy" generation guys like you seem to repeatedly whine about.
Congratulations on joining an internet forum before others. Your contribution to humanity cannot be praised enough.

If you're not interested in a 2025, why are you wasting so much of your energy and free time talking about it?

Slow day at the senior center?

Missed the point completely, well done.

This forum will discuss everything under the sun related to our trucks, multiple threads, multiple train crashes and derailments, multiple fights, you get the point?

Don't like what you're reading, skip the post and move on princess. Whining about something you can just skip over seems futile but then again, apparently I'm a senior now and maybe my patience is just not what it used to be.

Now where did I leave my meds......

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I posted most 1/2 ton owners overload there trucks, not grossly overload them, then there are owners that way overload them, like glamis trips. OK poor choice of words but it still happens.
"Most" 1/2 ton owners will never tow with their trucks. That's what you are missing.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
:rolleyes: You don't have to have a trailer to overload a 1/2 ton.

dammitbobby

Reaction score
That was my f
Well folks - another important public service announcement.
If you are going to order/buy a 2025, make sure that you order the trailer controller from the factory. It is a $290 option.
At this point, dealers have no clue about adding this.
Mine did not come with one, I did order the controller that supposedly should work on 2025.
Went to my dealer for installation this morning.

1- the controller cannot be mounted under the dash like the older models
2- the tech could not find any wires under the dash
3- dealer has no clue about the correct part / location - they will call the factory to get more info.
4- 2025 has a completely different wiring harness / electrical system architecture.
I have another thread on this specific topic - per Jimmy, the controller is mounted behind the back seat. He posted a picture.

So, I will wait and see what the dealer is going to come back with.
That was my fear when I ordered mine and didn’t spec it with a brake controller because I currently don’t have a trailer but plan to in the future. Here’s to hoping by that time they’ll have it figured out.

azzx

Reaction score
I hope so too - there goes my offroad/towing adventure to UT in the near future!!

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Can you install a cheap brake controller until it gets remedied ?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
:rolleyes: You don't have to have a trailer to overload a 1/2 ton.
I guess it depends on the type of women you date.

Let me rephrase that for you then. Most 1/2 ton owners aren't overloading them. They are daily commuters and family haulers. I know a few who won't even use the bed because they might scratch the paint.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I hope so too - there goes my offroad/towing adventure to UT in the near future!!
You can instsll one of the many aftermarket brake controllers that don't rely on factory wiring for anything but power. There are even Bluetooth models that you can control gain settings through an app.

azzx

Reaction score
I will wait a while - I don't like to hack into things!
Eventually, dealers will catchup with the product they are selling and have no clue about it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread