5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
All I can say is, enjoy your over engineered I6 Hurricane, I know I won't buy one, even if I have to go back to a CTD to replace my current truck. BTW, I wonder how many times it'll take you to look on your dash to see if you have to add more oil when changing it. :rolleyes:

When I'm ready to buy, 2027-2028, if thats whats available, that's what I'm buying and not thinking twice about it.
As for oil changes, I just did one yesterday. Engine takes 7 quarts and the filter .5 quarts. I filled the filter then poured the rest in the engine and when I checked the dipstick, guess where the oil level was? You wont believe it but it was right where it was supposed to be, no need to check.

My wifes car doesn't have a dipstick and thus far, it hasn't been a problem. Ive changed the oil in that car 3 times (dealer service did the others) and all I've done is let the engine warm up, shut it off, wait for the oil to drain back down then check the oil level on the dash.
It wouldn't hurt to have a dipstick but is that even in the criteria to make me not buy the car? F no.

And for clarity, I'm not anti HEMI, I'd like to still have the HEMI however a higher performing version. The 5.7 in the Ram 1500 is ok, that's it. The 5.7 1500 is under torqued by a large margin IMO. The hurricane will provide that much needed low speed torque boost the Ram needs and no, the 6.4 wouldn't have been sufficient either. And before the "you could have SC'd the 5.7" crowd chimes in, a SC'd 5.7 would have been too dirty for Rams emissions and you guys complaining about poor fuel mileage now would really be in for a reality check

Last edited:

BowDown

Reaction score
How many times do you check your dip stick when you're refilling after an oil change? If my vehicle has a capacity of 7 quarts I'll add 7 quarts then check the oil level. It's always right where it's supposed to be. I'm not defending their removing the dipstick, but as an owner of European cars I am familiar with dealing without a dip stick. It's really not the big deal you're making it out to be.

💯%

BowDown

Reaction score
There's some "real" points of contention I have with the 2025 Ram, specifically the Tungsten and the Limited. I don't won't 4x4, 3.92 or the Ram Boxes but when the time comes and those are still std features, then that's what I'm getting.
Bigger fish to fry in life than an I6, 3.92 gears, Ram Boxes, 4x4 or dipsticks

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
All I can say is, enjoy your over engineered I6 Hurricane, I know I won't buy one, even if I have to go back to a CTD to replace my current truck. BTW, I wonder how many times it'll take you to look on your dash to see if you have to add more oil when changing it. :rolleyes:
Probably the same number of times you need to check the dipstick.

Jedi9

Reaction score
For what it’s worth, I’m fairly certain very few HEMI drivers “need” its “weak” 395 HP very often…if ever. Some of us remember when most trucks had V8s in the 225-250 HP range, and somehow we all got by!
My 78 D100 with a 318 was rated 130hp

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Was this posted before?

Yes, not a valid test. Too many variables and he's using the evic display. This is why any fuel mileage tests need to be long term over a minimum of three tanks of fuel.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Whatever you need to keep telling yourself to justify your hate if the engine.

lonepeak

Reaction score
Ok with me if it's over engineered. Been living with no dipstick in two other vehicles for 10 years. Non issue. Used to use a flip phone too but saw advantages to the new one. Can't fault liking the old stuff but I enjoy the new technology.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
How many times do you check your dip stick when you're refilling after an oil change? If my vehicle has a capacity of 7 quarts I'll add 7 quarts then check the oil level. It's always right where it's supposed to be. I'm not defending their removing the dipstick, but as an owner of European cars I am familiar with dealing without a dip stick. It's really not the big deal you're making it out to be.
I typically check the dips tick 2-6 times depending on the level. I would say 20% of the time I need to add more oil, not just my Ram but anything I'm working on. My old truck used a fraction of a quart too, so always had to use the dipstick for that one too right next to me in the dirty engine bay not my clean seats.
How much money Ram saving for no dipstick? Will the oil last longer because of no dipstick? Any pros?

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
How much money Ram saving for no dipstick? Will the oil last longer because of no dipstick? Any pros?
I've been wondering that for years with other vehicles. Hell, even Ram and Ford got rid of transmission dip sticks (Not sure about GM). There have to be better cost saving measures than that if it was done for financial reasons. I suspect they have other motivations for eliminating dip sticks.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I've been wondering that for years with other vehicles. Hell, even Ram and Ford got rid of transmission dip sticks (Not sure about GM). There have to be better cost saving measures than that if it was done for financial reasons. I suspect they have other motivations for eliminating dip sticks.
To make the cars\trucks harder to work on and get more money to dealerships?
My father didn't believe him when I told him my GMC has a dipstick and drainplug for it's transmission, I had to show him.

dammitbobby

Reaction score
I typically check the dips tick 2-6 times depending on the level. I would say 20% of the time I need to add more oil, not just my Ram but anything I'm working on. My old truck used a fraction of a quart too, so always had to use the dipstick for that one too right next to me in the dirty engine bay not my clean seats.
do you think they’re actually saving money or was it just a design decision. That sensor can’t be cheaper than a dipstick.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
That's what I suspect the reason is.
Id have to agree with the reply two above. My DD 14’ Ford Edge has a drain bolt on the tranny pan (how many vehicles have that?) and I have changed trans fluid since Ive owned it (10 years), which has certainly cost either the dealer or just mechanics in general some business.

The more difficult the factory can make service for owners, the more likely the vehicle will come back to the service department for some time.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Y'all are conspiracy theorists on this forum 😂
It's a fact of business man. It's not even just the auto industry.
I can't even replace motherboards in OEM laptops anymore because they tie them to the serial number of the computer and without special, not for sale software I can't pair them. Before you would just go into the bios and type it in no problem. Only reason is so the OEM can make money on the repair

PetePA

Reaction score
It's a fact of business man. It's not even just the auto industry.
I can't even replace motherboards in OEM laptops anymore because they tie them to the serial number of the computer and without special, not for sale software I can't pair them. Before you would just go into the bios and type it in no problem. Only reason is so the OEM can make money on the repair
Ok, I agree with you there, but the dipstick maybe not. Another HORRIBLE business practice is what they do with ink jet printers... Sell the printer at a loss and gouge tf out of you on the ink.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, I agree with you there, but the dipstick maybe not. Another HORRIBLE business practice is what they do with ink jet printers... Sell the printer at a loss and gouge tf out of you on the ink.
What other reason would they have for that? Do you have a better theory?

PetePA

Reaction score
What other reason would they have for that? Do you have a better theory?
Same reason we have tpms, email, outlook 365, smartphones, Netflix, internet, AI, etc. None of that was stuff we needed before we got it. But now, most of it is a necessity. The incentive is to keep ahead of the competition in the technology application race. Fall behind, and you're blockbuster video.

Users who are viewing this thread