5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Now this I6 gas engine is simple durable and has lots of torque, I'd buy this to replace my Hemi, but it'd have to be a 2500.
So because it has the Cummins name, that turbo charged gas I6 is going to be better? And how is it more simple?

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Now this I6 gas engine is simple durable and has lots of torque, I'd buy this to replace my Hemi, but it'd have to be a 2500.
Why do you believe that the cummins gas turbo engine is simpler than the hurricane?

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Night Edition taillights look much better than the taillights on the other packages.

View attachment 180587 View attachment 180588
I'm kinda curious to see what the replacement units will cost, the blind spot is no longer in the taillight, it's in behind the black plastic at the bottom of the rear fender/bumper, so I'm thinking it will be cheaper to upgrade to either the the darker housings or the Limited LED's for a bit more.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Why do you believe that the cummins gas turbo engine is simpler than the hurricane?
The bottom end will have close to the same architecture, it has 1 turbo, 1 cooling system, top end close to the same 6.7 CTD, but will have spark plugs and gas related equipment. Whats impressive, is that the engine was originally designed for HD Diesel high torque application, but converted to Gasoline keeping most of the same architecture giving you a high torque engine with gas benefits. The HP is low per the new standards of todays trucks, but its why I like an I6 as they were back in the day. Major negative is the weight, why it'll probably be offered in the 2500/3500, at @ 1000 lbs, thats way to heavy for a 1500

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The bottom end will have close to the same architecture, it has 1 turbo, 1 cooling system, top end close to the same 6.7 CTD, but will have spark plugs and gas related equipment. Whats impressive, is that the engine was originally designed for HD Diesel high torque application, but converted to Gasoline keeping most of the same architecture giving you a high torque engine with gas benefits. The HP is low per the new standards of todays trucks, but its why I like an I6 as they were back in the day. Major negative is the weight, why it'll probably be offered in the 2500/3500, at @ 1000 lbs, thats way to heavy for a 1500
Converting a diesel to a gas engine doesn't keep the high torque of the diesel. The high torque of the diesel engine comes from the high compression needed to make a diesel operate.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Buts its not the same high torque as diesel, but its better than the Hurricane HO by 100 ft lbs

BowDown

Reaction score

The horsepower is likely low because it doesn't operate at the RPMs that normal gas engines can.
Horsepower is a function of torque, it making high TQ but low HP suggests to me that it's not going much past peak TQ RPM and probably cannot.

Diesel pistons, rods and cranks are heavy, this would be a slow reving engine.
The hurricane only has 1 cooling system BTW. Twin turbo doesn't mean 2 cooling systems

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm kinda curious to see what the replacement units will cost, the blind spot is no longer in the taillight, it's in behind the black plastic at the bottom of the rear fender/bumper, so I'm thinking it will be cheaper to upgrade to either the the darker housings or the Limited LED's for a bit more.
Blind spot sensors are still in the tail lights on the 2025’s.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The horsepower is likely low because it doesn't operate at the RPMs that normal gas engines can.
Horsepower is a function of torque, it making high TQ but low HP suggests to me that it's not going much past peak TQ RPM and probably cannot.

Diesel pistons, rods and cranks are heavy, this would be a slow reving engine.
The hurricane only has 1 cooling system BTW. Twin turbo doesn't mean 2 cooling systems
So over twice the displacement, twice the weight, probably half the fuel mileage. And really not enough more torque to justify the other three.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I went and looked at a 2025 and drove it. Just wanted to see what the hype was about. First thing I noticed when I pulled out of the dealership….YEP quality control is non-existent. The one I was driving had 14 miles on the odo and the windshield had not been sealed properly at the plant. There was horrible wind noise from 30 MPH on which got louder as speeds increased. It’s an obvious air leak, but the question is will it also be a water leak? Hmm.. Second thing I noticed is that from 0% to around 50% throttle the Hurricane feels lethargic and non-linear in its power output. At higher throttle it does make good power, but in the low and mid range it felt weaker than the Hemi to me. I thought that was supposed to be the big draw to these turbo engines, the torque? Third thing I noticed was how quiet the ENGINE was. Literally could not tell the truck was running at idle. And while driving the NVH is non-existent. If you enjoy listening to your engine, the 2025 isn’t for you.

The Bighorn has some neat equipment added. Adaptive cruise, wireless charging, digital rearview mirror, etc. At least on that level 2 package it did. Those were neat additions. But I just can’t get past the engine and quality issues.

dammitbobby

Reaction score
So I went and looked at a 2025 and drove it. Just wanted to see what the hype was about. First thing I noticed when I pulled out of the dealership….YEP quality control is non-existent. The one I was driving had 14 miles on the odo and the windshield had not been sealed properly at the plant. There was horrible wind noise from 30 MPH on which got louder as speeds increased. It’s an obvious air leak, but the question is will it also be a water leak? Hmm.. Second thing I noticed is that from 0% to around 50% throttle the Hurricane feels lethargic and non-linear in its power output. At higher throttle it does make good power, but in the low and mid range it felt weaker than the Hemi to me. I thought that was supposed to be the big draw to these turbo engines, the torque? Third thing I noticed was how quiet the ENGINE was. Literally could not tell the truck was running at idle. And while driving the NVH is non-existent. If you enjoy listening to your engine, the 2025 isn’t for you.

The Bighorn has some neat equipment added. Adaptive cruise, wireless charging, digital rearview mirror, etc. At least on that level 2 package it did. Those were neat additions. But I just can’t get past the engine and quality issues.
We must not have driven the same hurricane engine lol. When I drove it it had smooth power all the way through way more responsive than the hemi and I drove them back to back. You’re correct about zero engine noise but for me if it’s not going to be a loud V8 I’d prefer zero noise over fake noise like the tundras have. As far as the wind noise goes I didn’t hear any in the one I drove but like you said most likely a quality control issue on that specific truck.

lonepeak

Reaction score
Hopefully the Bighorn issues is a fluke. Variability in a manufacturing process is not a good sign of quality control. Each vehicle produced should be as identical as the last and not fluctuate to a significant degree. Maybe a sign the engineering staff has been reduced who oversee these metrics. Hopefully we'll get more customer test drives of the trims that are coming out.

BowDown

Reaction score

The horror, no dipstick and an water to air intercooler!!!
Do you know how long dedicated water to air intercoolers have been around? C6 ZR1 uses them, C7Z06/ZR1 uses them, Cadillac CTS-V uses them, ZL1 uses them, Shelby GT500 uses them, hellcat uses them, my wifes Jaguar XF uses them and wait for it, it also has no dipstick...all that and the world hasn't ended

dcchris311

Reaction score

You would want 2 different cooling system. It's nothing new. The hellcat power plant uses this method, you can even divert your a/c refrigerant to cooling it down heat extractor for some insanely low IATs.

This is a good setup. Just upgrade the heat exchanger if you're worried about temps OR you could run 100% distilled water with some water wetter for a nice drop in temps without swapping parts.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
All I can say is, enjoy your over engineered I6 Hurricane, I know I won't buy one, even if I have to go back to a CTD to replace my current truck. BTW, I wonder how many times it'll take you to look on your dash to see if you have to add more oil when changing it. :rolleyes:

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
All I can say is, enjoy your over engineered I6 Hurricane, I know I won't buy one, even if I have to go back to a CTD to replace my current truck. BTW, I wonder how many times it'll take you to look on your dash to see if you have to add more oil when changing it. :rolleyes:
How many times do you check your dip stick when you're refilling after an oil change? If my vehicle has a capacity of 7 quarts I'll add 7 quarts then check the oil level. It's always right where it's supposed to be. I'm not defending their removing the dipstick, but as an owner of European cars I am familiar with dealing without a dip stick. It's really not the big deal you're making it out to be.

Users who are viewing this thread