5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PetePA

Reaction score

This guy does a pretty good job explaining the differences between I6 & V8. Too bad I can't take the I6 past 2,500HP. Since that was my plan all along, I think I'm going to get the 2024 5.7 Hemi instead.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
I liked the video, and learned alot between the two engines. At the age of 65, the old inline six cylinder engines were underpowered but very durable. Also they had better torque, but the V8 had to make up by running higher RPM, but I prefer the lower HP higher torque. It was and still is the reason that the Cummins I6 is still used today by many Semi Trucks manufacturers, for higher torque at lower RPM's. Not to compare the hurricane to the diesel world, but the V8 diesels are much quicker than the Cummins 5.9/6.7, as was described in the differences in the I6 vrs V8. I liked his explanation about the overhead cams, that was a fear of mine and the reason I don't like that in a V8, complicated timing systems that cost alot and fail sooner, as well as more destructive. Now the HP he can get out of an I6 is highly customized with his performance parts, there are I4 cylinder engines that are very quick and run high HP, but the cost per HP is way out of most budgets.

Ram1500OwnerMaybe

Reaction score

This guy does a pretty good job explaining the differences between I6 & V8. Too bad I can't take the I6 past 2,500HP. Since that was my plan all along, I think I'm going to get the 2024 5.7 Hemi instead.

Information wise, thought it was very interesting, but by claiming he is a "Hot Rod" guy but likes the sound of the I6 over V8 loses some credibility.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Information wise, thought it was very interesting, but by claiming he is a "Hot Rod" guy but likes the sound of the I6 over V8 loses some credibility.
And why is that? Don't get me wrong, I prefer the sound of a V8 myself. But that's subjective and has no bearing on anyone's credibility. I love the sound of a Harley. It's a twin-v. Does that give me less credibility? People like what they like.

Ram1500OwnerMaybe

Reaction score
And why is that? Don't get me wrong, I prefer the sound of a V8 myself. But that's subjective and has no bearing on anyone's credibility. I love the sound of a Harley. It's a twin-v. Does that give me less credibility? People like what they like.

Because its like someone saying they are a firearms enthusiast but don't like the sound of guns. ;)

TXArmyGuy

Reaction score
I see my dealer had some killer deals on the 2024 Limited model and I was looking to upgrade. I see the new 2025 will have the I6 hurricane and I was curious if anyone knows anything about this new engine. I see that they have it in the new Grand Waggoner. Has anyone heard anything about it. Is it reliable? I don’t know whether to get a 2024 for a deal or wait for the 2025.
They may rant and rave about the MPG increase for the new V6 Hurricanes, but they fail to tell you it takes Premium gas so your not really coming out ahead all that much imo.

pensfan

Reaction score
Is this random or have you been a customer for awhile?
I have owned 4 Rams counting my '16. I am not sure why I received the certificate. The only possibility I can think of is that I have the unlimited mileage, lifetime, $100 deductible Max Care warranty. They may want to get out from under that warranty and figure throwing out 5K will help sway me.
I have not had a chance to drive the I6 yet, but hope to soon.

Serpens

Reaction score
They may rant and rave about the MPG increase for the new V6 Hurricanes, but they fail to tell you it takes Premium gas so your not really coming out ahead all that much imo.

The SO Hurricane takes regular, for heavy use premium is best for optimal performance. The Hemi asked for 89 under the same conditions.

It’s the HO that is more sensitive to using premium.

dammitbobby

Reaction score
I have owned 4 Rams counting my '16. I am not sure why I received the certificate. The only possibility I can think of is that I have the unlimited mileage, lifetime, $100 deductible Max Care warranty. They may want to get out from under that warranty and figure throwing out 5K will help sway me.
I have not had a chance to drive the I6 yet, but hope to soon.
The I6 is a treat to drive, feels miles better than the 5.7 to me. However, I’ve never had a v8 so that exhaust note is something you may miss.

stevieb92

Reaction score
That is literally me. If it wasn't such a long wait for ATF approval and so expensive, I would absolutely have suppressors.
Wait times have been significantly reduced lately. Sometimes in the matter of days for some folks.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Because its like someone saying they are a firearms enthusiast but don't like the sound of guns. ;)
Haha, that's a terrible analogy but it's a funny response. I know lots of firearms enthusiasts, myself included. But I don't think any of us actually likes the sound of them going off. ;) Especially if the guy at the bench next to you is using a muzzle brake. I mean, it's an accepted part of shooting so it's tolerated. The exception to that is if I'm using a suppressor. Love the sound of a suppressed 300 blackout firing subsonic rounds.

dammitbobby

Reaction score
Super interesting.

1. Cruise control electronics issues.
2. Laggy Screen
3. "Blown" speaker
4. Throttle tuning needs work

The video is dated today.
Just watched this, not super surprising to me honestly. They’re super early production. But also I can’t speak for the high output but I absolutely did not feel that way about the throttle response with the SO. Also I have a feeling that if this truck had issues they’ll be electronic due to the new “Atlantis high” wiring architecture but that’s just my theory here’s to hoping this is a one off thing.

stevieb92

Reaction score
Haha, that's a terrible analogy but it's a funny response. I know lots of firearms enthusiasts, myself included. But I don't think any of us actually likes the sound of them going off. ;) Especially if the guy at the bench next to you is using a muzzle brake. I mean, it's an accepted part of shooting so it's tolerated. The exception to that is if I'm using a suppressor. Love the sound of a suppressed 300 blackout firing subsonic rounds.
Agreed. A subsonic 300 blackout from a suppressed bolt rifle is stupid quiet. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online