5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Because its like someone saying they are a firearms enthusiast but don't like the sound of guns. ;)
That's not even close to a good comparison. A horrid guy cares more about performance than sound. If you'd rather have a slow truck with a V8 than a high performance truck tht just happens to have an I6, you aren't really a hot rod guy

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's all about emissions, Stallantis paid over 1 Billion in emissions fines last year. Now they could have developed a new V8 to meet the standards and maybe they are working on one, I guess we will see.

pensfan

Reaction score
It's all about emissions, Stallantis paid over 1 Billion in emissions fines last year. Now they could have developed a new V8 to meet the standards and maybe they are working on one, I guess we will see.
How much did they waste on the Wagoneer and GW? They could have spent that on a CRV, Equinox type vehicle with a modern fuel efficient 4.
I doubt it would have cost a billion to fix the Hemi.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How much did they waste on the Wagoneer and GW? They could have spent that on a CRV, Equinox type vehicle with a modern fuel efficient 4.
The Wagoneer is based on the Ram so not like it's a completly new vehicle. I do agree they need to put more into quality small SUV's instead of using the rebranded Fiats. AKA Compass, Patriot, ect.

JExpedition07

Reaction score
They could have, but I think the goal for Stellantis was a global powertrain with standardized manufacturing for all their markets. Cost effective on their end, and as a European company they are primarily concerned with European emissions compliance. This engine will service both markets, and share parts. It’s in the name, global medium engine program.

V8 indeed can be done, but only really viable here in North America where we are performance based and not displacement taxed. Ford does it, the current 5.0 is running an extremely high 12:1 compression ratio with dual port and direct fuel injection. The 12:1 static compression can be done on pump fuel due to the 3,000 psi direct injectors they added to the V8 in gen 3. In lower rpm driving, the fueling is primarily port injection, as the Ti-VCT system retards intake valve opening to increase cylinder pressures with increased ram inertia, direct injection takes over as primary. At low rpm it runs 90/10 port-direct, and at high rpm it’s flipped at 10/90 port-direct. Tailpipe emissions on the 5.0 Ford are about the same as the 3.5 EcoBoost and this Hurricane, so a clean V8 is indeed doable. Stellantis isn’t primarily a North American player, so the idea of a new or evolving V8 program likely isn’t as compelling to them as it’s is to Ford/GM. Europe taxes based on cubic inches (an outdated law imo) but it is still their current rules.

Reaction score
I believe the Dodge Hornet covers that exact description. Even checks the box on hybrid for increased fuel economy.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
They could have, but I think the goal for Stellantis was a global powertrain with standardized manufacturing for all their markets. Cost effective on their end, and as a European company they are primarily concerned with European emissions compliance. This engine will service both markets, and share parts. It’s in the name, global medium engine program.

V8 indeed can be done, but only really viable here in North America where we are performance based and not displacement taxed. Ford does it, the current 5.0 is running an extremely high 12:1 compression ratio with dual port and direct fuel injection. The 12:1 static compression can be done on pump fuel due to the 3,000 psi direct injectors they added to the V8 in gen 3. In lower rpm driving, the fueling is primarily port injection, as the Ti-VCT system retards intake valve opening to increase cylinder pressures with increased ram inertia, direct injection takes over as primary. At low rpm it runs 90/10 port-direct, and at high rpm it’s flipped at 10/90 port-direct. Tailpipe emissions on the 5.0 Ford are about the same as the 3.5 EcoBoost and this Hurricane, so a clean V8 is indeed doable. Stellantis isn’t primarily a North American player, so the idea of a new or evolving V8 program likely isn’t as compelling to them as it’s is to Ford/GM. Europe taxes based on cubic inches (an outdated law imo) but it is still their current rules.

IDK that that's accurate. The 5.7 is lower than both the 3.5 EB and the 5.0. The Ram HO is higher than all 4 of them

Screenshot 2024-05-13 074150.png

4x4

Screenshot 2024-05-13 074610.png

Fords 5.0 doesn't make any more power than the 5.7. The hurricanes simply gave Ram more power with the same or similar tailpipe emissions

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I suspect Ford Raptor sales have shown that the concern over the exhaust note is only in a very small group of potential buyers.
RHO sales will likely also bear that out
Don’t they have fake exhaust sound pumped into the interior?

Pikeman_66

Reaction score
I am kind of over all this (it don't have a v8 anymore talk) we all know the Hemi is gone, it is what it is, and we the consumer have no say and we can only do one of 2 things.
Adapt to the new platform or don't and go another route. seriously guys we have been talking about the no V8 issue since December and all its accomplished is multiple hi jacked threads and a back and forth between the 2 camps to no fruitful end in my opinion. yeah, I agree the Hemi exhaust sounds like an old school American V8 and the new I 6 sounds different I won't say bad because really, I don't care about that myself I am more of a performance guy, but there are those that do and that's ok too.
but the hemis gone and it isn't coming back anytime soon.

Last edited:

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
…European company they are primarily concerned with European emissions compliance. This engine will service both markets, and share parts. It’s in the name, global medium engine program.

V8 indeed can be done, but only really viable here in North America where we are performance based and not displacement taxed.
This is a real good point that I don’t think has been previously mentioned.
Most other country’s tax (heavily) based on displacement and/or cylinder count.

But the sad realization is indeed they are a European company. We’re down to the Big Two.

Users who are viewing this thread