5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Here's the link where I saw it:
I'm not a Ram basher. They are my fav at the moment.
I'm just trying to comprehend why sales are 'reported' to be down vs others. IMO, IN MY OPINION, not factual, probably because I have two of them, people I know that were ready to by a truck and a RAM said to me, 'I'm not buying the e-torque thing, nit doing it". Approx. half waiting to see what this I6 does, half went elsewhere.
I'm sure there are many other factors as well, just what I've experienced from truck buyers I know.
I've also opined that I think Ram will lose a decent percentage amount, how much I have no idea, because the Hemi is gone, I'm guessing from Hemi lovers, of which I am not one, but I like it a lot (again compared to others I've owned).
Read your own source next time dude.
The picture you posed was only Q1 and Q2, so only half the damn year....

1714585856816.png

ChrisID

Reaction score
Read your own source next time dude.
The picture you posed was only Q1 and Q2, so only half the damn year....

View attachment 182347
Fair enough, didn't see that. I was looking for yearly numbers and saw the chart below that.
But even so, 23 and 24 down roughly 100K +/- from 19, 20, 21 (assuming 100K +/- for Q3/4 played out)
Thanks

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Here's my take on it based on my own experiences. I've been happy with Ram trucks sinve 2016, when I switched from GM. I saw that I could get higher trim level trucks with more features for less money than what Ford and Chevy were offering. I saw value in that. Since about 2022 that price difference has been disappearing. Now it's non-existent. In fact, I've built Chevy trucks out with more features that had a lower MSRP. Ram has lost any price advantage they may have once had in my eyes.

Exactly. Ram has had decreasing sales for two main reasons: a "stale" product (oldest on the shelf at this point not including the really new update of course), and greedy pricing.

They got greedy. They're too expensive now.

FloridaSun

Reaction score
Yesterday, Stellantis management reiterated 10-11% margins for the entire fiscal year while revenue is down 10% and shipments down 12%. I take that they will not be discounting as much as we had hoped to move metal.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ram was on a pretty big wave for years at least since they became thier own Brand. That said stale product especially in the HD line along with higher prices and interest rates lead to the ultimate correction the past couple years.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Good for us. Discounts are easily the best since well before 2020. I’m shocked at the discounts on 2025’s already. They obviously are worried about sales.

pensfan

Reaction score
Here's my take on it based on my own experiences. I've been happy with Ram trucks sinve 2016, when I switched from GM. I saw that I could get higher trim level trucks with more features for less money than what Ford and Chevy were offering. I saw value in that. Since about 2022 that price difference has been disappearing. Now it's non-existent. In fact, I've built Chevy trucks out with more features that had a lower MSRP. Ram has lost any price advantage they may have once had in my eyes.
Totally agree. Prices are more than insane. The Big Horn 6 with Level 2 and Night Edition is 15000 more than my '16 Ram Hemi was.
A month or 2 ago I priced out a F150 Lariat, Laramie equal. The Ford has a V8 and the black package. Laramie Turbo 6 and Night Edition. The Ram was 4 K more than the Ford.
I have never owned a Ford, but I find the V8 and an interior that is as comfortable to me as the Ram to be very tempting. Also the pricing is much better.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Totally agree. Prices are more than insane. The Big Horn 6 with Level 2 and Night Edition is 15000 more than my '16 Ram Hemi was.
A month or 2 ago I priced out a F150 Lariat, Laramie equal. The Ford has a V8 and the black package. Laramie Turbo 6 and Night Edition. The Ram was 4 K more than the Ford.
I have never owned a Ford, but I find the V8 and an interior that is as comfortable to me as the Ram to be very tempting. Also the pricing is much better.
Ford makes a good truck. If I was buying right now I'd probably be going with Ford with the 5.0. Our beater truck is a 2014 F150 Limited. It's the first Ford truck I've owned. My only complaints about it are the lack of a heated steering wheel and the engine is a 3.5L EcoBoost. Power isn't an issue. It's the lack of V8 sound that I'm not happy with. It just doesn't feel like I'm driving a real truck lol. I can say that after owning this twin turbo V6 I won't be buying another new Ram 1500 if all they offer is a 6 cylinder gasoline engine of any configuration. I'll be retiring at the end of the year if all goes as planned. It's very possible that my next truck will be the last new truck I buy. So I need to make it count.

Pikeman_66

Reaction score
I don't have experience with the Ford 5.0 so you're asking the wrong person. But I would imagine that's probably like asking "doesn't the 5.7 Hemi have significant lifter/cam issues?". :ROFLMAO:
I have had a ford 5.0 in the past its just a 302 ci. they are fairly reliable I had no major issues. but I like the 351 Windsor better. I built one of those with a slightly hotter than stock camshaft and lifters with head work and a whole new bottom end. it was a powerhouse in my 1981 f 150. it was nothing fancy, but I beat the heck out of that truck and the engine never gave up. wish I could have said the same about the front axle.😡
oh, the fun we had in my early 20s. 35 years later and I want massaging seats 🥴 and luxury. but 4x4 can't be beat out of me lol.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have had a ford 5.0 in the past its just a 302 ci. they are fairly reliable I had no major issues. but I like the 351 Windsor better. I built one of those with a slightly hotter than stock camshaft and lifters with head work and a whole new bottom end. it was a powerhouse in my 1981 f 150. it was nothing fancy, but I beat the heck out of that truck and the engine never gave up. wish I could have said the same about the front axle.😡
oh, the fun we had in my early 20s. 35 years later and I want massaging seats 🥴 and luxury. but 4x4 can't be beat out of me lol.
The current 5.0 is a completely different engine than the old 302 you are thinking of

Pikeman_66

Reaction score
The current 5.0 is a completely different engine than the old 302 you are thinking of
probably so, I wouldn't doubt it I was in my early 20s it had early injection all I remember if it got to 20 below it wouldn't start for crap.
Had that engine in my daily driver and kept the truck for fun on the weekends because back then I couldn't afford to drive it daily.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Doesn't that engine have significant oil leak issues?

Yes the modern DOHC 5.0 Coyote as nothing in common with the classic 302s.

That said, the oil leak issue you are referring to was actually a consumption/ burning issue that affected the 2017-2020 generation, although the instances were most associated with the earlier 2017-2018 model years.

2017 is when they changed to dual injection, but also to plasma lines cylinders. This lining would sometimes degrade allowing oil past the rings and thus consumption. There was never a fix other than Ford eventually saying some oil consumption is normal. The rate of issue is probably similar to Hemi lifter failure - eg certainly not widespread or guaranteed to happen.

The port injection Coyote through MY 2016 was probably the most bulletproof modern V8, but so far the 3rd Gen Coyote has been remarkably reliable, though they’re all still young enough that no reputation can be definitive yet IMO. The biggest improvement seems to be to the Cam Phasers, which were a much more worrisome problem vs oil consumption, even if more rare.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don't have experience with the Ford 5.0 so you're asking the wrong person. But I would imagine that's probably like asking "doesn't the 5.7 Hemi have significant lifter/cam issues?". :ROFLMAO:
Modern V8 Chevy's have far more lifter failures than the Hemi anymore. But you have a Chevy guy talking **** about Mopar, lifters are one of the first things they mention.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Modern V8 Chevy's have far more lifter failures than the Hemi anymore. But you have a Chevy guy talking **** about Mopar, lifters are one of the first things they mention.
I loved my Silverado, hated my dealerships for the brand.
Lifter problem... It's like flying a spaceship into the sun, it's just a question of when you combust.

pensfan

Reaction score
Yes the modern DOHC 5.0 Coyote as nothing in common with the classic 302s.

That said, the oil leak issue you are referring to was actually a consumption/ burning issue that affected the 2017-2020 generation, although the instances were most associated with the earlier 2017-2018 model years.

2017 is when they changed to dual injection, but also to plasma lines cylinders. This lining would sometimes degrade allowing oil past the rings and thus consumption. There was never a fix other than Ford eventually saying some oil consumption is normal. The rate of issue is probably similar to Hemi lifter failure - eg certainly not widespread or guaranteed to happen.

The port injection Coyote through MY 2016 was probably the most bulletproof modern V8, but so far the 3rd Gen Coyote has been remarkably reliable, though they’re all still young enough that no reputation can be definitive yet IMO. The biggest improvement seems to be to the Cam Phasers, which were a much more worrisome problem vs oil consumption, even if more rare.
I looked this up a month or 2 ago and '17 to '20 were the years affected. I would not be afraid to buy a '24 5.0 now.

vdrsnk04

Reaction score
I looked this up a month or 2 ago and '17 to '20 were the years affected. I would not be afraid to buy a '24 5.0 now.
Same here. The coyote 5.0 has been proven time and time again to be ridiculously reliable, think of it just like Chevy’s LS over the years. Very impressive.

pensfan

Reaction score
A couple of days ago, in the mail I received certificate for $5000 off on any Ram. This is addition to any national incentives.
In the smaller print it states the $5000 off is also good on any Dodge, Jeep, Chrysler, or Alfa. Same deal with the national incentives on these brands.
I can't find what the current incentives are on the '25's. The '24's only are offering $2500 which is awful compared to the 15% they were offering not long ago.

Users who are viewing this thread