5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PetePA

Reaction score
It says they did it at 3500 RPMs in the artle linked

Because my 0-60 is only .1 seconds slower then their 5-60 with the 6.4.
Their 5-60 with their HO is the same time I get 0-60 with a 5.7 is my point.

How is the HO such a stronger engine if it's the same speed as a 5.7?
Just goes to show the tests they did aren't under normal conditions imo.
What is your 0-60 on your 5.7?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It says they did it at 3500 RPMs in the artle linked

Because my 0-60 is only .1 seconds slower then their 5-60 with the 6.4.
Their 5-60 with their HO is the same time I get 0-60 with a 5.7 is my point.

How is the HO such a stronger engine if it's the same speed as a 5.7?
Just goes to show the tests they did aren't under normal conditions imo.
I highly doubt they were hitting 3500 RPM doing a brake stall. That torque converter would have to be either set up very loose, or work the F out and slipping

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I highly doubt they were hitting 3500 RPM doing a brake stall. That torque converter would have to be either set up very loose, or work the F out and slipping
I mean i'm just going by what they have in their article.
I have never drove a turbo, or done something dumb like that with my truck. Foot on gas foot off break.
1711675054025.png

PetePA

Reaction score
5.9 seconds
Edit, I was off a second in my numbers lol.
Double edit, no I wasn't. They listed the 5-60 as 5.9 seconds with the HO and 5.8 5-60 with the 6.4.
wtf are these numbers?
View attachment 180056
Hmm yeah all that doesn't make sense if the 0-60 is 4.7 for the HO and there is turbo lag. We probably should just wait for testing once these damn things hit the market.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There were a couple of their other websites (I can't remember what brands) that I used the other day. They all have the same basic layout. Point is, I don't think there are a lot of resources that they need to put into ensuring the build/configurator portion of their sites work considering it's largely the same across their brands.
I actually got it to work today, it built the exact truck I would buy. Maybe they read this and lit a fire under someone's ***.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have never drove a turbo, or done something dumb like that with my truck. Foot on gas foot off break.
View attachment 180057
I know what the article says, But I also know how automatic transmissions work. There is no way they were brake stalling up to 3500 RPM. The Hurricanes max torque rating is at 3500RPM and the brakes would not hold 450 lb/ft of torque, even if the stall converter would allow that to happen

dcchris311

Reaction score
There's now a total of 5 HO Rams being being built. That's a whopping 25% increase in HO Rams, comparing to the past 4 that have been in the same state.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I don't know where you stand on hurricane vs hemi so this isn't directed at you; but the HO getting beaten/tied by a 20 year old 6.4 is pretty pathetic. Well the 6.4 isn't 20 years old but the hemi design is so that's what counts here they just made the bore/stroke a little bigger vs the old 5.7. The HO is supposed to replace the 6.4. Not only is the HO slower off the line from a dead stop (turbo spooling), it can't even beat in passing power either where the RPMs are already higher and probably somewhat in the boost. And of course it's tiny engine getting wrung out.

Not getting the excitement for this engine. In every area save emissions its looking like a dud vs the hemi. Hopefully it doesn't suffer from a hemi tick type of thing as that will nail the coffin shut.

Not putting the 6.4 in the Ram 1500 is one of Rams most stupid mistakes. Guess I'll have to do the job myself some day.

You have to remember that the Hurricane is also doing this with 2 less cylinders
Grand Wagoneer produces 510 horsepower and 500 pound-feet, a useful upgrade over the V-8's 471 hp and 455 pound-feet.

Additionally, it's only 39 more HP and 45lb ft of torque better; the hurricane likely has a better power curve but the differences in power explains the small performance gains. The HP increase over same weighted vehicles would only be about a 3 - 4 tenths advantage in the 1/4 mile for the hurricane and possibly less in a shorter 0-60 if unless the hurricane has a huge under the curve power improvement.

No one should be expecting a massive improvement in 0-60 or 1/4 mile times with the small increase from the hurricane in the Jeep GW.
Now, that engine in a Ram 1500 is going to be demonstrably different with a 30-155 hp improvement and 59-111 lb ft torque improvement over the 5.7 HEMI

The twin-turbocharged 3.0-liter inline-six produces 420 horsepower and 469 pound-feet of torque in its base format, while the high-output version of the engine is rated at 540 horsepower and 521 pound-feet of torque. Ram claims the additional 30 horsepower over the Grand Wagoneer comes by way of a slight increase in engine speed over the Jeep's.

rick619

Reaction score
How is that more apples to apples? The HO is the premium engine offering for 2025, and the hemi you have was the premium engine offering for your 2023 model year. Your posts come off more that you are upset you bought the 23 and then shortly after a new offering came out with more power and you are convincing yourself you made the right decision still.

Which is ok btw I’ve done it as well with my different vehicles haha.

Maybe your reading comprehension isn't so good? Read what I wrote. I'll summarize:

I've know about the '25 with the new I6 Turbo for many months and DON'T WANT IT. Bought one with a 5.7 last Sunday. Did not want to wait until the end of the year when there would be less selection of the 5.7. If I had waited until the end of the year, and there wasn't a decent selection of 5.7 left, I would buy a used Ram or even an F150. Close to a 0% chance I would be willing to buy a '25 Ram 1500.

If you and other feel comfortable buying the new I6, good. Ping me when thousands have put 100K on that engine. I don't care about it being marginally faster or better MPG. I want something that will last me 10+ years. The reliabiltiy numbers don't exist yet. Too early.

I put about 10K miles on my vehicles per year. So hoping by the time I hit 100K (or need a new truck), the I6 turbo will be solid, in it's 2nd or 3rd gen.

vdrsnk04

Reaction score
Maybe your reading comprehension isn't so good? Read what I wrote. I'll summarize:

I've know about the '25 with the new I6 Turbo for many months and DON'T WANT IT. Bought one with a 5.7 last Sunday. Did not want to wait until the end of the year when there would be less selection of the 5.7. If I had waited until the end of the year, and there wasn't a decent selection of 5.7 left, I would buy a used Ram or even an F150. Close to a 0% chance I would be willing to buy a '25 Ram 1500.

If you and other feel comfortable buying the new I6, good. Ping me when thousands have put 100K on that engine. I don't care about it being marginally faster or better MPG. I want something that will last me 10+ years. The reliabiltiy numbers don't exist yet. Too early.

I put about 10K miles on my vehicles per year. So hoping by the time I hit 100K (or need a new truck), the I6 turbo will be solid, in it's 2nd or 3rd gen.
My reading comprehension is great. Your last post wasn’t comparing the correct engine models. But, this post you changed what your main reason was, this reason does make sense.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

I mean, if all you ever read are Facebook posts or internet forums, the reliability of the Hemi isn't very good. But that's obviously a small cross section of actual vehicles in the road.

rick619

Reaction score
My reading comprehension is great. Your last post wasn’t comparing the correct engine models. But, this post you changed what your main reason was, this reason does make sense.

My point is you completely missed my point. I'm not interested in something that is marginally faster than the 5.7 (or the HO which I wouldn't get anyway). All I really care about is reliability. How many generations of the 5.7 were there? It's been around a while. Plus my '23 is near the end of the 5th gen cycle. That is what I look for. Where are the reliability numbers on the brand new '25 that isn't out yet? Those numbers don't exist. I am a gambler, but not going to gamble on a 1st gen motor in a new model year 1500. Hard pass!

Also, finance wise, similar to buying a '23 when when the '24 are near the end of their production year, I like to wait and try to save money. So if I had waited until the end of the year, I would be looking for a '24 that the dealers are trying to get rid of because the '25 would be out. Clearly not rushing to buy the first '25 that makes it to the lot.

I do wish the early adopters luck and hope it proves to be more reliable than the 5.7. Until thousands have put on the miles, we just don't know those metrics.

Last edited:

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
View attachment 180057

Car and Driver has provided THE most reliable acceleration and technical data for decades.

However like dyno results, the data is not relevant or comparable to your results with a stopwatch or tuner - not to any other results than their own. It’s an index.

A break torque launch from still will almost always be faster than a 5-60. They do both so that you know what the best possible performance is (0-60 with brake torque or clutch dump) and also real world (5-60 and passing times).

I prefer the 5-60 times to convey how fast a car “feels” in the real world.

I have run 2,500 - 2,750 rpm boosted launches at the strip for many summer Wednesday nights for a few years. No transmission issues to speak of.

trmc47

Reaction score
I ordered a 2025 Tungsten Black exterior from Granger. I added the barn doors to eliminate the RAM being spelled out on the tailgate...I didn't like that look. (barn doors come with the old tailgate look...RAM head in the middle...Tungsten on left side 4x4 on right)

Got a good price...$80,863 Doc Fee 180 and transfer fee 35 plus my sales tax. I also plan on shipping v driving it home...that will be another 1500 or so cost for transit.

My local dealer had quoted $100K OTD for the same vehicle...I am saving roughly $10K...but I have to make $15K to clear that $10K difference...so to me saving 15K.

My VON is 3.18.24. I am trading my 2020 Limited black/black with 57K miles. CarMax so far has the highest bid $38600. All the other RAM dealers I visited for my truck only offered 34-35K.

Does anyone have any idea how long this process should take? RAM said builds started 2.5.24 but haven't seen any delivered via their online shop or dealer websites. Thanks.
As of today Ram has built 17,637 Ram 1500s and only 4 have been limited. They list one as a Tungsten but when you try to look for it, it does not show up as built.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
How's that relevant here? They're not installing HC engines in 25 Ram 1500's, they can't meet CAFE requirements with a NA 5.7.

We're comparing engines in the 1500. I said its pretty said that Ram never put the 6.4 into the 1500, the 6.4 is the "competitor" to the HO and by all accounts it's still the stronger engine and gets better MPG (they compared the 6.4 to the hurricane in the Grand Wagoneer a while ago).

Then I said it's pathetic that a new engine can't beat the 6.4, only in emissions does the Hurricane do better. For guys who want a great experience, the hemi is still the better option.

So then you said "well remember the 3.0 is down 2 cylinders" as if that is some excuse, it's not, the 6.4 is N/A and the hemi when using forced induction puts out more power than any other production engine from the factory.

We all know CAFE is troublesome, but we're talking minuscule differences here. The second you start dipping into the throttle you're going to get worse MPG. Only reason the hurricane appears to get better scores is because of how these engines are tested on the bench but start working them hard like towing or whatever and you'll quickly see why us N/A fans aren't letting go of our v8's.

Pikeman_66

Reaction score
As of today Ram has built 17,637 Ram 1500s and only 4 have been limited. They list one as a Tungsten but when you try to look for it, it does not show up as built.
I was able to find the 5th one, 3 silver and 2 black limiteds and limited longhorns.

Users who are viewing this thread