5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

rick619

Reaction score
They make more HP and have better performance overall. Have to look at more than just peak numbers. They beat the Hemi in every metric.

Just barely though. We're not talking night and day numbers here. Also at the cost of more moving parts and generally a more complicated engine. More chance of having 'turbo issues' that get costly. The 5.7 has more than enough power for my needs and can tow my Jeep on a trailer.

As I said above, year 2, fine, I'd consider it. Just not wanting to find out the new problems the hard way in year 1. I always prefer buying vehicles late in their model cycle if possible. Let them work the bugs out.

Last first gen vehicle I bought was a '12 Jeep with the first gen 3.6. I got lucky with mine, but some had heads that needed replacement. That's fine if you catch it while under warranty. If it happens after the warranty period, you're out of luck. I have a friend that still has a '12 and did have to have a head replacement. Even though it was fixed, she's trying to sell it and people are afraid of the '12. Her price is more than reasonable. I figure resale of the '25 might be difficult because it's the first year, regardless if there are any major issues.

FloridaSun

Reaction score
I ordered a 2025 Tungsten Black exterior from Granger. I added the barn doors to eliminate the RAM being spelled out on the tailgate...I didn't like that look. (barn doors come with the old tailgate look...RAM head in the middle...Tungsten on left side 4x4 on right)

Got a good price...$80,863 Doc Fee 180 and transfer fee 35 plus my sales tax. I also plan on shipping v driving it home...that will be another 1500 or so cost for transit.

My local dealer had quoted $100K OTD for the same vehicle...I am saving roughly $10K...but I have to make $15K to clear that $10K difference...so to me saving 15K.

My VON is 3.18.24. I am trading my 2020 Limited black/black with 57K miles. CarMax so far has the highest bid $38600. All the other RAM dealers I visited for my truck only offered 34-35K.

Does anyone have any idea how long this process should take? RAM said builds started 2.5.24 but haven't seen any delivered via their online shop or dealer websites. Thanks.

rick619

Reaction score
Valid concerns I get it, I was nervous about turbo engines as well. we bought a 21 Buick envision new with a turbo in it, our first one and it has been flawless so far.
as for the Ram like you said it's been in the jeep for a little while. I have talked to owners of it, and they love it. I am not going to agree on your horsepower comment though.
the HO version of the 3.0 puts out 540 HP and 520 ft pnds. of torque. I am not sure anyone really needs more HP than that unless they are severe off-roading or Rock climbing, that's several more HP than the Hemi and more torque it also has about the same MPG and weighs less to boot. to me that's a win. but that's my opinion.
the one drawback to me though being fair to the hemi is the 3 liter requires premium fuel. other than that, I am willing to give it a chance. again, my opinion.

I think more apples to apples is the non HO. Sure, the HO would be awesome and clearly more HP. The standard I6 is still going to be a marginal improvement in HP and MPG.

So if somehow my '23 gets stolen or totaled in the next year or so, I'm looking for a used '24 or earlier. If the '26 is out and that happens, I'd consider it. Just not the '25.

Pikeman_66

Reaction score
I ordered a 2025 Tungsten Black exterior from Granger. I added the barn doors to eliminate the RAM being spelled out on the tailgate...I didn't like that look. (barn doors come with the old tailgate look...RAM head in the middle...Tungsten on left side 4x4 on right)

Got a good price...$80,863 Doc Fee 180 and transfer fee 35 plus my sales tax. I also plan on shipping v driving it home...that will be another 1500 or so cost for transit.

My local dealer had quoted $100K OTD for the same vehicle...I am saving roughly $10K...but I have to make $15K to clear that $10K difference...so to me saving 15K.

My VON is 3.18.24. I am trading my 2020 Limited black/black with 57K miles. CarMax so far has the highest bid $38600. All the other RAM dealers I visited for my truck only offered 34-35K.

Does anyone have any idea how long this process should take? RAM said builds started 2.5.24 but haven't seen any delivered via their online shop or dealer websites. Thanks.
they just started building Limited's this week and it seems there may be a slowdown of some kind in production. I am not sure on tungsten's. they started with the lower models to Laramie and built those for about month before starting the first Limited.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just barely though. We're not talking night and day numbers here. Also at the cost of more moving parts and generally a more complicated engine. More chance of having 'turbo issues' that get costly. The 5.7 has more than enough power for my needs and can tow my Jeep on a trailer.

As I said above, year 2, fine, I'd consider it. Just not wanting to find out the new problems the hard way in year 1. I always prefer buying vehicles late in their model cycle if possible. Let them work the bugs out.

Last first gen vehicle I bought was a '12 Jeep with the first gen 3.6. I got lucky with mine, but some had heads that needed replacement. That's fine if you catch it while under warranty. If it happens after the warranty period, you're out of luck. I have a friend that still has a '12 and did have to have a head replacement. Even though it was fixed, she's trying to sell it and people are afraid of the '12. Her price is more than reasonable. I figure resale of the '25 might be difficult because it's the first year, regardless if there are any major issues.
Once again have to look at more than just the quote "peak" numbers for HP and torque. The Hurricane makes its power lower in the RPM band. Peak numbers for both HP and TQ are both 400 rpm lower than the Hemi. And with the turbo, that torque curve is flatter meaning you make more torque longer. This is ideal for accelerating, unloaded, or while towing. Which is why the performance numbers(0-60 and 1/4 mile) are significantly better than the peak numbers would indicate.

And they have been using the Hurricane in the Jeep Wagoneers for over a year. So technically not a 1st year engine.

I like when people make up issues that don't exist to justify their opinion. And that's a lot of what you get from the people who don't like the Hurricane. "More complicated", turbos wil fail, costs more to maintain........

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Valid concerns I get it, I was nervous about turbo engines as well. we bought a 21 Buick envision new with a turbo in it, our first one and it has been flawless so far.
as for the Ram like you said it's been in the jeep for a little while. I have talked to owners of it, and they love it. I am not going to agree on your horsepower comment though.
the HO version of the 3.0 puts out 540 HP and 520 ft pnds. of torque. I am not sure anyone really needs more HP than that unless they are severe off-roading or Rock climbing
Funny you are comparing a 500 HP setup to a 200HP setup with turbo. Completely differnet things

"I am not sure anyone really needs more HP than that unless they are severe off-roading or Rock climbing"
Wow, I could say the same thing about the current 5.7
You don't need more horsepower or torque, even for towing you are capped at the weight the physical frame of that truck can tank not the engine.
Hell you can't even tow more with the HO then the SO, if that isn't a sign I don't know what is.
There are no true benefits going from a v8 to smaller engine with twin turbs let alone a first gen setup, just a bunch of tradeoffs at best.

And they have been using the Hurricane in the Jeep Wagoneers for over a year. So technically not a 1st year engine.
This is a first gen engine, there is no second gen twin turbo I6 from Stellantis. He did not say "first year" and it may as well be a first year anyways into a mainstream truck, who even buys those crazy expensive Jeep things. Not even close a common vehicle to get any good testing from real people.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Funny you are comparing a 500 HP setup to a 200HP setup with turbo. Completely differnet things

"I am not sure anyone really needs more HP than that unless they are severe off-roading or Rock climbing"
You don't need more horsepower or torque, even for towing you are capped at the weight the physical frame of that truck can tank not the engine.
Hell you can't even tow more with the HO then the SO, if that isn't a sign I don't know what is.
There are no true benefits going from a v8 to smaller engine with twin turbs let alone a first gen setup, just a bunch of tradeoffs at best.

This is a first gen engine, there is no second gen twin turbo I6 from Stellantis. He did not say "first year" and it may as well be a first year anyways into a mainstream truck, who even buys those crazy expensive Jeep things. Not even close a common vehicle to get any good testing from real people.
If you actually read his post, he said "year two" he would consider it, not Gen two.

jonusko

Reaction score
Finally, a VIN has been assigned to my 2025 Laramie order. The dealer says they hope to have a ship date in the next few weeks. The order has the Level 2 and ASG packages, which they haven't started building yet.

Just my hunch... I can't see them shipping 2025s until they unload the 2023s and 2024s with the "Truck Month(s)". Also, all TV ads are for Truck Month. With such a fundamental change to the engine, I would expect a big marketing campaign for the 2025s. I bet at least one commercial has "Rock You Like a Hurricane" playing in the background.

Pikeman_66

Reaction score

I realize that, in that statement I was insinuating that I was scared of the turbos at first until we got our Buick. after having it for a while I am not scared of the turbos as much anymore. the 3 liter could be a lemon but I am not scared to try it out.
I was mainly comparing a 540 horse 3 liter to the hemi in the gentleman's original statement is all. where he was comparing the differences in his mind. thats all nothing more nothing less.

Bsteiner36

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You used to be able to view the specific models for the 2025 ram builds but
Finally, a VIN has been assigned to my 2025 Laramie order. The dealer says they hope to have a ship date in the next few weeks. The order has the Level 2 and ASG packages, which they haven't started building yet.

Just my hunch... I can't see them shipping 2025s until they unload the 2023s and 2024s with the "Truck Month(s)". Also, all TV ads are for Truck Month. With such a fundamental change to the engine, I would expect a big marketing campaign for the 2025s. I bet at least one commercial has "Rock You Like a Hurricane" playing in the background.
Awesome we are seeing some Custom Orders get VINs! I think they're waiting to push everything at the end of Q1 for some reason. I assume April the flood gates will open. Congrats.

Pikeman_66

Reaction score
You used to be able to view the specific models for the 2025 ram builds but

Awesome we are seeing some Custom Orders get VINs! I think they're waiting to push everything at the end of Q1 for some reason. I assume April the flood gates will open. Congrats.
Boy I hope your right, I don't have much time left on my chevy as it's a lease.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I did read it.
This 2025 is the first year being in a full size work pickup for that engine choice.
So now you are back tracking on the "generation" comment with regards to the engine?

Just to refresh your memory Screenshot_20240327-150238~2.png

Bsteiner36

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Boy I hope your right, I don't have much time left on my chevy as it's a lease.
Their social media (RamTrucks) keeps saying available Q1 on X.com. I keep giving them grief and telling them that they better start shipping trucks out because according to their own website they don't have any trucks AVAILABLE at the dealers. It seems like they're waiting for something and Maybe the end of Q1 is that thing. If not then who the F___ knows what they're doing.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
So now you are back tracking on the "generation" comment with regards to the engine?

Just to refresh your memory View attachment 179932
I still don't see where he said it was a "first year" engine, he said he knows it was in the Wagoneer for a year.

This is what I see.
II would consider the I6 maybe once it's in it's second year in the 1500. I do realize it's been in the Wagoneer for a year. Just not enough time for me to feel like it would be a safe purchase.

1711577928308.png
He wanted to wait for the second year in the 1500, just as I said in my post.
It's a first gen engine, and has not been used in a full size pickup truck ever.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I still don't see where he said it was a "first year" engine, he said he knows it was in the Wagoneer for a year.

This is what I see.

View attachment 179937
He wanted to wait for the second year in the 1500, just as I said in my post.
It's a first gen engine, and has not been used in a full size pickup truck ever.
So now you are just deflecting. I get it. Can't admit you were wrong.

The comment I was replying to wasn't the one you took a screen shot of. Easy to misunderstand the 2nd year comment when it's not used in the same post as his previous statement I overlooked.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think some of you guys are either part of the Engineering team that developed this motor or spent their life savings on stock w/ Stellantis and can’t see or understand anyones else's view. The saying “agree to disagree” has been missing from this forum for quite some time and we wonder why members choose not to stick around….hmm.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I think some of you guys are either part of the Engineering team that developed this motor or spent their life savings on stock w/ Stellantis and can’t see or understand anyones else's view. The saying “agree to disagree” has been missing from this forum for quite some time and we wonder why members choose not to stick around….hmm.
Agree to disagree. :p pointing out flaws in ones opinions doesn't mean I agree with anything

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Agree

Far too much "I'm right and you're wrong"crap here lately.🙄

Easy enough to filter through the nonsense and move on.

Gotta be exhausting always being right all the time. Sure glad I'm not an expert on everything.

Users who are viewing this thread