5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I wonder if the uConnect software will get even worse on the 2025s, they keep firing people.
This time 400employees in the US that do engineering, technology, and software.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I wonder if the uConnect software will get even worse on the 2025s, they keep firing people.
This time 400employees in the US that do engineering, technology, and software.
Might get better. Lot of idiots skimmed off the top. Every company has them.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
UC5 definitely didn't get better the UC4. At least not initially. And seems there are still quite a few bugs with it

PetePA

Reaction score
If only I went to school for electrical engineering then I just make one
UAW production operators make more than the engineers designing the cars, btw

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If only I went to school for electrical engineering then I just make one

UAW production operators make more than the engineers designing the cars, btw
Pretty common in union shops.

Bsteiner36

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am not sure the Uconnect software is capable of being worse than my 2019 Uconnect software. No software updates, no map updates, randomly there is no sound and I have to go to AM radio to enable sound, Blank screens, I had it where I was driving and the steering wheel heat wouldn't turn off and my steering wheel was a "ring of fiiiirreee". I had to pull over and shut my truck off and back on so I could touch the steering wheel. I had one where my backup camera was on all the time and I couldn't turn off the screen or do anything else. After fighting with Ram for weeks upon weeks they finally released me an update that fixed most of the problems.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am not sure the Uconnect software is capable of being worse than my 2019 Uconnect software. No software updates, no map updates, randomly there is no sound and I have to go to AM radio to enable sound, Blank screens, I had it where I was driving and the steering wheel heat wouldn't turn off and my steering wheel was a "ring of fiiiirreee". I had to pull over and shut my truck off and back on so I could touch the steering wheel. I had one where my backup camera was on all the time and I couldn't turn off the screen or do anything else. After fighting with Ram for weeks upon weeks they finally released me an update that fixed most of the problems.
There are updates available, just have to do them yourself manually, or pay the dealer.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
MDS is worse IMHO. You can disable start/stop with an inexpensive device. MDS is not as easy to deal with.
I understand that, but electronics can be just as bad when issues arise, which they have from ***.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I understand that, but electronics can be just as bad when issues arise, which they have from ***.
Well, you asked the question and I gave an opinion. I don't disagree with you about electronic issues. I was just giving my thoughts on which was the most trouble to permanently disable. Since our current truck doesn't have etorque it's not an issue for us. And MDS is the only one of the two I have to deal with.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, you asked the question and I gave an opinion. I don't disagree with you about electronic issues. I was just giving my thoughts on which was the most trouble to permanently disable. Since our current truck doesn't have etorque it's not an issue for us. And MDS is the only one of the two I have to deal with.
It was more of a rhetorical question

Bsteiner36

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There are updates available, just have to do them yourself manually, or pay the dealer.
How do we do software updates manually? Every software update I've got was over the air when Ram decided to push it to my truck.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone who has ever seen the inside of a higher mileage fuel injected engine (even port injected) can see how a catch can might benefit you. Sure, the backs of the intake valves are clean, but port injection does nothing to prevent build up upstream of the injectors. Does that build up may affect anything that you notice? Probably not. But it has to have some kind of effect on performance and fuel economy, however minor that may be.
Nonsense. There will be not even a minor effect on performance on the 5.7 Hemi. The the intake stroke will draw any microscopic droplets of oil vapor from the PCV system directly to the values where large quantities of gasoline is being injected.

But again, how does someone else's decision about installing a catch can affect you?
It's a fallacy to pretend like the only reason someone should advance an opposing view is because the other person's views impact them directly. The value of most opposing views is on these kinds of forums is to give other people both sides of a story to make an informed decision.

I'm certainly not advising for or against them.
You absolutely are but you are just not very good at supporting your position. If not advising for them, what does your quote "Anyone who has ever seen the inside of a higher mileage fuel injected engine (even port injected) can see how a catch can might benefit you." mean? In reality, anyone who has ever seen the intake manifold or top of the head exposed to air from the intake manifold in a higher mileage 5.7 Hemi realizes a catch can would serve no function whatsoever.

If people are as gullible as you say that's on them. You should always do your own research when considering doing something some mentions in a forum environment.
People use internet forums as part of their research; that's why it's important to provide opposing views.

You in fact are the one advising against them. You have your reasons for not having one, which I am perfectly willing to accept as your choice. See how that works? ;)

I am absolutely advising against them as they serve absolutely no value in the 5.7 Hemi. I have no need to wait and see how it works as I already have. I'm currently driving my 4th Hemi Ram since 2003 and I put over 180,000 miles on the first one. It still ran like a new truck. Also, source after source, unless you read marketing material, says catch cans have no benefit in a normally aspirated port injected engine.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Nonsense. There will be not even a minor effect on performance on the 5.7 Hemi. The the intake stroke will draw any microscopic droplets of oil vapor from the PCV system directly to the values where large quantities of gasoline is being injected.

It's a fallacy to pretend like the only reason someone should advance an opposing view is because the other person's views impact them directly. The value of most opposing views is on these kinds of forums is to give other people both sides of a story to make an informed decision.

You absolutely are but you are just not very good at supporting your position. If not advising for them, what does your quote "Anyone who has ever seen the inside of a higher mileage fuel injected engine (even port injected) can see how a catch can might benefit you." mean? In reality, anyone who has ever seen the intake manifold or top of the head exposed to air from the intake manifold in a higher mileage 5.7 Hemi realizes a catch can would serve no function whatsoever.

People use internet forums as part of their research; that's why it's important to provide opposing views.

I am absolutely advising against them as they serve absolutely no value in the 5.7 Hemi. I have no need to wait and see how it works as I already have. I'm currently driving my 4th Hemi Ram since 2003 and I put over 180,000 miles on the first one. It still ran like a new truck. Also, source after source, unless you read marketing material, says catch cans have no benefit in a normally aspirated port injected engine.
You obviously have more time than most people. Reading your responses is entertaining if nothing else. Thanks for the laughs. :ROFLMAO:
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You obviously have more time than most people. Reading your responses is entertaining if nothing else. Thanks for the laughs. :ROFLMAO:
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Apparently ad hominem fallacies are all you really have to support your position.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

This is exactly why I chose not to engage. You lack the open mindedness needed to see past your opinion.

Have you opened up the engine on any of your Rams? If not, your argument that there is no benefit, because you felt your engine was still running "like a new truck" is invalid. For one, it's impossible for a 180k mile engine to be "like a new truck" without being rebuilt. Don't care how good of oil you used there will be wear that degrades engine efficiency and performance

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is exactly why I chose not to engage. You lack the open mindedness needed to see past your opinion.

Have you opened up the engine on any of your Rams? If not, your argument that there is no benefit, because you felt your engine was still running "like a new truck" is invalid. For one, it's impossible for a 180k mile engine to be "like a new truck" without being rebuilt. Don't care how good of oil you used there will be wear that degrades engine efficiency and performance

I would guess you chose not to engage because you also have nothing to support a view that an oil catch can does anything in the slightest to benefit a 5.7 Hemi motor.

My opinion is based on the reason and logic I have provided and that reason and logic was not established by me. For gods sake do some research.

My 2003 Ram was in fact still running like it was when new after 180,000 miles. There was absolutely no noticeable degradation in performance or economy. I also owned a 2006 Grand Marquis that I drove for 240,000 miles until it was totaled and it also performed like it did when new. Any wear that does not cause a noticeable decline in efficiency or performance by the owner is completely meaningless.

Users who are viewing this thread