5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I remember when the new looking Ram first came out. All one read about is how ugly it looked with the new front end. No one really came out saying how much it looked better.
Anyone else remember that. :unsure:

Nope, because I wasn't interested in Ram trucks before the DT model came out. When the 5th Gens came out, I thought it was the best looking truck available.

I agree. In my opinion the crosshair grill was what set RAM apart from all the other trucks out there. You could easily identify one from a long distance.

My biggest gripe now is the 5th Gen looks like any other truck from a distance. Especially with the smoother body lines compared to previous generations.

I’m not a big fan of the large letters on the front or back. I always hated GMC’s for plastering that big ugly lettering on their grills for so many years so wasn’t real thrilled when RAM did it. Chevy really ruined the front end with the big CHEVROLET across the front. The basic Bowtie was perfect. Simple emblems are much more appealing to me.

I disagree. The smoother body lines are what makes the Ram DT unique in this era of square, boxy trucks. I've never been a fan of brands with the gigantic grilles and even though the 2025 Rams have a bigger grille, it's still not disproportionate like the GMC or Tundra.

GMC has no choice because they don't have a emblem, but it's only three letters and they don't span the entire grille or tailgate. Even though Ram has an emblem, 3 letters in the grille and on the tailgate just looks cleaner. Yes, the CHEVROLET and TOYOTA letters that span the entire width of the grille looks ridiculous.

Bsteiner36

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No oil here:) But I do have a question on the towing groups for the '25 Limited. If I mainly tow a light utility trailer rarely and sometimes with an ATV or a Z-turn mower should I get the Towing Tech Group or the Trailer Tow Group? I am good at backing up so no issue there. I suppose an outside chance I would pull a small rental travel trailer one time or so. The other consideration would be resale value. Is the $600 increase for the Trailer Tow Group worth it and the added electronic complexity?

I used to pull a 6,000# boat with the '15 Laramie with no problem. It had the Trailer Brake Control.
I ordered mine with the TTG but not the tech group. I didn't see the benefit of the Tech group so i skipped it. This video might help.

lonepeak

Reaction score
I think you are saying you didn't get the Trailer Tow Group but got the Towing Tech Group. These are the two listed on the build page. The former has the self backing guide and the extra knob on the dash. I think the normal back up camera and surround view are adequate enough. The Trailer Tow Group has the backup assist and is $1200, the Towing Tech Group is $600. Am I correct in your decision? Its confusing as both can be read as TTG.

Pikeman_66

Reaction score
No oil here:) But I do have a question on the towing groups for the '25 Limited. If I mainly tow a light utility trailer rarely and sometimes with an ATV or a Z-turn mower should I get the Towing Tech Group or the Trailer Tow Group? I am good at backing up so no issue there. I suppose an outside chance I would pull a small rental travel trailer one time or so. The other consideration would be resale value. Is the $600 increase for the Trailer Tow Group worth it and the added electronic complexity?

I used to pull a 6,000# boat with the '15 Laramie with no problem. It had the Trailer Brake Control.
the trailer tech group will require you to select the upcharged towing mirrors as well. the towing group will not. been down that road already. ichose to just go with the regular towing group.

ChrisID

Reaction score

Hi Lonepeak, IMO you don't need either of the groups to do what you do. I do have the brake controller in both my 20 Laramie and 21 Limited and use it often for loads 4-5Klbs. My 21 has the tow-group but I never use it. You can just buy the brake controller by itself for $295. I haven't been able to confirm if the bumper comes with the trailer connector, but I would guess it comes std. on all model trucks?
Tech group pulls in Tow group for $1800. Tow group by itself is 1200.

lonepeak

Reaction score
the trailer tech group will require you to select the upcharged towing mirrors as well. the towing group will not. been down that road already. ichose to just go with the regular towing group.
I agree and I do not want the towing mirrors. That's another thing that sets the two option apart I think. As ChrisID says a brake controller for $295 would do the job for me.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You can get the brake controller cheaper than $295 as well. Just make sure you get the actual class IV hitch receiver, and not the now "standard" bumper hitch. The 4-pin and 7-pin plugs will be there on any RAM AFAIK

lonepeak

Reaction score
Would think a class IV would be standard on the upper trims but I don't see it referenced on the build page IDK. Good reminder.

Bsteiner36

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I thought for sure this was the case when I went to the dealer, because I remember it selected tow mirrors and I didn't want them so we removed the Technology TG. However, On the public site it doesn't selected the Tow mirrors and I thought I was going crazy. I almost reordered my truck to get the Technology TG since it didn't look to include Tow Mirrors anymore. I am so confused with the builder now. Thanks for confirming I am not completely insane.

Last edited:

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
The ramtrucks.com configurator is know to have problems/inconsistencies. Never fully trust that. It's a good tool to get an idea of what you might want, but only the dealer configurator can be trusted to be accurate.

U

User_3336

GMC has no choice because they don't have a emblem, but it's only three letters and they don't span the entire grille or tailgate. Even though Ram has an emblem, 3 letters in the grille and on the tailgate just looks cleaner. Yes, the CHEVROLET and TOYOTA letters that span the entire width of the grille looks ridiculous.

On Chevrolet, depends on what trim level you might have chosen.

s1.jpg s2.jpg

Jamesalan98

Reaction score
Would think a class IV would be standard on the upper trims but I don't see it referenced on the build page IDK. Good reminder.
I believe the class IV hitch is standard on all new 2025 rams. Those other tow packages refer to the other tow goodies.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You can just buy the brake controller by itself for $295.

You can get the brake controller cheaper than $295 as well.
Adding things to the 2025 rams after the fact is going to be extremely tricky for most, compared to previous model years. Different parts, different wiring, different canbus structure, and mainly a completely different security gateway that pretty much everything runs through now. Instead of just making a change with alfaobd or tazer to add the brake controller, now a proxi alignment needs to be performed after the change so all of the other modules are “aligned” with the newly added parts and settings.

So, in a nutshell, I would definitely get the 2025 truck equipped with everything you think you’ll want, and not bank on adding features after the fact for now.

lonepeak

Reaction score
For now at least even the dealers don't have the updated option lists or some items blacked out temporarily. I think when the upper trims begin to ship the dealers will have all the details. And we're all waiting for that to happen!

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
For now at least even the dealers don't have the updated option lists or some items blacked out temporarily. I think when the upper trims begin to ship the dealers will have all the details. And we're all waiting for that to happen!
Dealerships have been taking orders for the upper trim level for a few weeks now. Which would lead me to believe they already have the details on available options/features. I haven't looked into it myself but I know a couple people who placed orders for Limited and Tungsten models a couple weeks ago.

lonepeak

Reaction score
Dealerships have been taking orders for the upper trim level for a few weeks now. Which would lead me to believe they already have the details on available options/features. I haven't looked into it myself but I know a couple people who placed orders for a Limited and Tungsten model a couple weeks ago.
My dealer 2 weeks ago still couldn't order certain items like level 1 package but I'm sure I could have told him all I wanted. I'll wait.

Bsteiner36

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I think you are saying you didn't get the Trailer Tow Group but got the Towing Tech Group. These are the two listed on the build page. The former has the self backing guide and the extra knob on the dash. I think the normal back up camera and surround view are adequate enough. The Trailer Tow Group has the backup assist and is $1200, the Towing Tech Group is $600. Am I correct in your decision? Its confusing as both can be read as TTG.
You can not add the tow tech group unless you add the trailer tow group as well. You can just get the trailer tow group.

Users who are viewing this thread