5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lots of assumptions from folks about what is possible on trading trucks every few years. I financed a 2014 BH CC that I traded on a 19 BH CC lease, traded for a 21 Laramie CC lease and then traded for a 23 Laramie CC lease with substantial upgrades each time. I put money down on the original 2014 loan but every trade since has been no out of pocket (only using equity for down payment) and has resulted in a nicer and newer truck for a lower payment than I had. This wasn't easy and involved lots of negotiation and luck as well as the fact I average less than 10k miles/year. Did the same thing with a 15, 17, 19 and 21 subaru.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Unless you are paying cash, and not doing a loan or lease, you will always be paying out of pocket

When I said hardly any out of pocket, I should have said "not in additional to my trade in" and of course your point in interest fees. This is with low APR finance, 6 yr terms typically, zero down with about $5K - $10K in trade in equity.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Lots of assumptions from folks about what is possible on trading trucks every few years. I financed a 2014 BH CC that I traded on a 19 BH CC lease, traded for a 21 Laramie CC lease and then traded for a 23 Laramie CC lease with substantial upgrades each time. I put money down on the original 2014 loan but every trade since has been no out of pocket (only using equity for down payment) and has resulted in a nicer and newer truck for a lower payment than I had. This wasn't easy and involved lots of negotiation and luck as well as the fact I average less than 10k miles/year. Did the same thing with a 15, 17, 19 and 21 subaru.

Same, been doing this for well over a decade. Essentially no out of pocket (besides loan fees), often with full size trucks and high resale value I don't even use all the equity towards the down. This is of course based on low apr with great credit and getting a good deal on each vehicle to be in the black within a couple of years or so.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
When I said hardly any out of pocket, I should have said "not in additional to my trade in" and of course your point in interest fees. This is with low APR finance, 6 yr terms typically, zero down with about $5K - $10K in trade in equity.
I'm talking you are still making payments and will never actually own the vehicle

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I'm talking you are still making payments and will never actually own the vehicle

Oh gotcha, sure that's correct. I mean I could wait to pay it off and own it after 5 years, but then I'll just go right in and trade it on a new one. I probably do that half the time, but if I get bored, I have the option to do it in 2-3 years due to leverage these discounts and high resale because of it.

As you know, unless you pay cash, you don't own the vehicle until you pay it off. This was fine when the cost of financing was so cheap, but not really worth it at the moment and really don't feel the need to buy a new comparable truck at $70K now.

I recently bought a new Toyota Fortuner in another country, due to resale values there, practically no discounts and high interest rates, I purchased it in cash.

Last edited:

dcchris311

Reaction score
4.7sec 0-60 on the Tungsten!! Add a bit of ethanol, high flow cats, full cat-back, a tune and you'll be in the low 4s high 3s!!!!

Ram1500OwnerMaybe

Reaction score
I don't think trading truck in every 2-3 years it keeping up with anything it's not like a computer. If it has the right features that work for you there's no reason to buy another except to lose money.

What is that saying with regards to a fool and their money????:unsure::ROFLMAO:

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In a normal market, it was actually quite easy to move between vehicles with little out of pocket every 3-4 years, especially with full size trucks. This is assuming at least 15% or more off MSPR of your previous purchase and strong credit rating.

Typically your trucks resale value is based on MSRP, so by the time you are on your 3rd year of the loan, your vehicle is already worth more than that you owe even with zero down. Then you get into another full size truck that has 15% or more off MSRP.

The Covid market screwed this up with higher prices and higher interest rates.

Exactly this.

Funny, I read right here no one trades that often.

It seems many do and it can work financially.

I paid cash for my Limited...

Not sure how driving the truck makes a difference. I didn't buy it to sell in a couple years. I buy my vehicles to drive and enjoy for long times. I put 120k miles in less than three years on my 99 Dakota R/T I special orders from factory. I'd still have that truck if I didn't total it. Have had the replacement 2000 Dakota R/T for over 20 years and 120k miles.

It makes ALL the difference. Wear and tear, 120k miles in three years, to me that's replacement time. Unless you're attached to the vehicle, there's no reason to keep it, swap it for a new one...

What is that saying with regards to a fool and their money????:unsure:

You know what they say about assuming...

I'm 100% debt free and paid cash for my Limited. After reading some recent replies, it seems many others do what I do.. heck in another thread someone posted their '23 that they traded in for a '24.

Life is short. Enjoy it.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Exactly this.

Funny, I read right here no one trades that often.

It seems many do and it can work financially.

I paid cash for my Limited...

It makes ALL the difference. Wear and tear, 120k miles in three years, to me that's replacement time. Unless you're attached to the vehicle, there's no reason to keep it, swap it for a new one...

Life is short. Enjoy it.
Seez that's the difference. I modify my vehicles to make them my own. I do enjoy them, and like to keep them long term because they are enjoyable. I don't need to always have the newest vehicle around when I can have a vehicle that is mine and made to fit my style. People thought I was crazy for modifying my truck when I was just leasing it, taking about getting dinged when turning it in, but there was never any intention to turn it in at end of lease. The lease was just a way to save money long term. Unfortunately, interest rates jumped up, so taking a bigger hit on financing the residual, but still saved $1k on sales tax

lonepeak

Reaction score
Builder link still pretty buggy at least on my end. Wondering the difference between the Big Horn Limited and the Limited. 1K more for the BH Limited.

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Builder link still pretty buggy at least on my end. Wondering the difference between the Big Horn Limited and the Limited. 1K more for the BH Limited.
Big Horn Limited? Do you mean Limited Longhorn. If so, the biggest difference is the interior, though the grilles are also different.

Edit: oops, looks like the grilles are the same for 2025.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Wow ths Tungsten rear end with mft is ugly. Guess they don't match the body color and seemingly only give half a tailgate (can see the side of the driver side taillight).
What can we expect from a small indie company like Ram they are working their hardest.
Screenshot_20240222-104524323 (1).jpg

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Unless you do it right, you don't really part with a lot of money, often none. You get to enjoy a new vehicle every few years, and if bored, you can easily get out of them without the typical limitation of leases.
Yes, like renting an apartment instead of buying a house. You will never own your truck and payments never stop. It depends on your lifestyle if you always want to be tied to payments, or own something and need to upkeep it. Neither are "wrong" options but are very different ways to live life.
I have the title for my Acadia Denali in my safe and no one can take it away from me, in a few years I will also have my Ram in there.

Users who are viewing this thread