5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone else annoyed by the "side pockets" on the center console? Ideas for them?

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I can't find a comfortable place to carry and drive, unless I remove and put it somewhere else. Same thing for phone.
What are you carrying and what are you carrying it in?

I've had the best luck with short barreled single stacks carrying in an OWB holster that rides high.

TNRamGuy

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I've had the best luck with short barreled single stacks carrying in an OWB holster that rides high.
Couple of options, usually a Walther or an M&P, both 380, so tiny. And I don't have any comfortable 'driving holster ', every thing I try seems to "dig in" somewhere. I can't just throw it in the door. Too cumbersome if I need it.

Vinnie.

Ram Guru
Reaction score

does a lot of it have to do with body type? I would assume a heavier/bigger person would have a tougher time with it digging it.

i am very uneducated on this topic so i figured i would ask you since you are experienced.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Couple of options, usually a Walther or an M&P, both 380, so tiny. And I don't have any comfortable 'driving holster ', every thing I try seems to "dig in" somewhere. I can't just throw it in the door. Too cumbersome if I need it.
I'm currently carrying a 43X in an Alien Gear Cloak OWB.

Heck of a lot better than my M9 in whatever garbage Blackhawk gear our battalion bought in bulk. :LOL:

TNRamGuy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
does a lot of it have to do with body type? I would assume a heavier/bigger person would have a tougher time with it digging it.

i am very uneducated on this topic so i figured i would ask you since you are experienced.
I am kinda 'a skinny dude ', 6'3" 195#, $&!t just seems to always be in the way.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Absolutely. Bigger guys are always going to have more trouble carrying comfortably.

I wasn't in the Navy, so I'm less experienced with that. 🤣

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This is my little dude, not my image, but, very small edc piece (if it wasn't for hydro, it would have to be much bigger)
That's the 3.21 gears of carry pistols. 🤣

If you aren't carrying it on you while driving because of comfort, I get that. No matter what, you have to be comfortable. Your firearm in the side pocket, door, center console, back seat, or duct taped to the frame is better than your firearm sitting back at home on your nightstand because it's not comfortable to carry.

But, there's no uncorrectable reason someone should have a problem accessing their firearm while it's on their hip. That's a problem of training, more than anything else. And the center console is a perfectly fine place to keep your firearm while you're traveling at 65-75 MPH for hours at a time on the Interstate. More than that, some states even require it to be locked away if you're going to make stops.

That was the original point I was making.

TNRamGuy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
But, there's no uncorrectable reason someone should have a problem accessing their firearm while it's on their hip. That's a problem of training, more than anything else.
Totally agree, training and practice. Just sayin for me to "little tray" is a great spot to clip my edc when cruising, I can't tolerate it still on my 'belt"

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Totally agree, training and practice. Just sayin for me to "little tray" is a great spot to clip my edc when cruising, I can't tolerate it still on my 'belt"
Yeah, I get it. Not trying to tell anyone that my way is the only way. We're not talking about gears here. There are legitimately other options that can be useful. :cool:

I don't like the firearm there for a couple reasons. First, my holster uses belt loops instead of clips, so it wouldn't work anyway. Even if it did, I wouldn't want that wear there over time. Another reason I would hate it is because the slide would dig into my worse knee (they're both bad).

TNRamGuy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, I get it. Not trying to tell anyone that my way is the only way. We're not talking about gears here. There are legitimately other options that can be useful. :cool:

I don't like the firearm there for a couple reasons. First, my holster uses belt loops instead of clips, so it wouldn't work anyway. Even if it did, I wouldn't want that wear there over time. Another reason I would hate it is because the slide would dig into my worse knee (they're both bad).
Gotcha brother, and thanks btw

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It doesn't take training to sit in a pickup truck. Some people aren't tiny. If you are a big guy, you fill the space. Yep, in the console is fine at 75 but occasionally I stop for things along the way. Sometimes I even sit in stop and go City traffic. It happens. Unbelievable, I know.

Just accept that some people might want to clip thier gun by their knee and feel comfortable. No one has to. If you are comfortable on your side under your seat belt, You're good too. Just a preference. Heck. Someone might have ape arms and just keep it under the seat. Never know.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It doesn't take training to sit in a pickup truck. Some people aren't tiny. If you are a big guy, you fill the space. Yep, in the console is fine at 75 but occasionally I stop for things along the way. Sometimes I even sit in stop and go City traffic. It happens. Unbelievable, I know.

Apparently it takes more training to accomplish something as complex as removing your firearm from its holster while sitting in a pickup truck.

Generally, I'm not surprised that my truck is suddenly stopped at a gas station or that I've wandered into a city, but maybe I have an unnatural awareness of my surroundings.

Just accept that some people might want to clip thier gun by their knee and feel comfortable. No one has to. If you are comfortable on your side under your seat belt, You're good too. Just a preference. Heck. Someone might have ape arms and just keep it under the seat. Never know.

Do whatever you want. Just pointing out that it's nonsense to act like there's an insurmountable obstacle to accessing your firearm if you leave it on you or put it in the center console, safe or not.

TNRamGuy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Apparently it takes more training to accomplish something as complex as removing your firearm from its holster while sitting in a pickup truck.

Generally, I'm not surprised that my truck is suddenly stopped at a gas station or that I've wandered into a city, but maybe I have an unnatural awareness of my surroundings.

Do whatever you want. Just pointing out that it's nonsense to act like there's an insurmountable obstacle to accessing your firearm if you leave it on you or put it in the center console, safe or not.
Oh, eow, you mad pal?

Users who are viewing this thread