5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any regrets not getting 4x4

Drewster

Reaction score
No regrets - I've had my DT Ram for about a year, and this ice storm in TX was the only time I just left it in the driveway. It got me home just fine on the 12th when everything was starting to freeze over.. but I also don't drive like a dummy. I would say the only "must have" is either a locker or limited slip to make sure you're not just totally stuck.

My last truck (3rd gen) was also RWD, and the only time it would have been nice was pulling through a muddy ditch. Managed to rock it out going D/R/D/R/D, but 4WD would have just pulled on through.

All in all, that's two events and ~5 days out of the 7 years I've used a truck to haul rocks and construction debris, tow race cars, you name it. I *also* really enjoy not having 4WD for the weight reduction/ efficiency, and super easy driveline maintenance over the course of ownership.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Amazing responses from the 4x4 guys trying to justify their purchase. READ the OP guys...”anyone regret getting 4x2.”

I own a 4x2 - no regrets - damned glad I purchased it. Question answered.

Based upon the question, it is clear the post was never intended for those extolling the virtues of 4WD or trying to prove their truck was superior...

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Amazing responses from the 4x4 guys trying to justify their purchase. READ the OP guys...”anyone regret getting 4x2.”

I own a 4x2 - no regrets - damned glad I purchased it. Question answered.

Based upon the question, it is clear the post was never intended for those extolling the virtues of 4WD or trying to prove their truck was superior...
Welcome to the internet. :alien:

Quint

Reaction score
The OP's post was unnecessary, shaming people for buying the truck that suits their need. Like the OP, I live in Minnesota and actually need 4x4 for the places that I go. However, if I lived somewhere that rarely got snow, there is no way that I would get 4x4. It drags down your fuel economy, is added cost, and added weight. If I only drove in the city, I would just take it easy on snowy days. I grew up driving rear wheel drive cars in the snow and it was a blast. I would enjoy it even in a truck (even more if we had the pull-stick emergency brakes for sliding around corners).

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The OP's post was unnecessary, shaming people for buying the truck that suits their need. Like the OP, I live in Minnesota and actually need 4x4 for the places that I go. However, if I lived somewhere that rarely got snow, there is no way that I would get 4x4. It drags down your fuel economy, is added cost, and added weight. If I only drove in the city, I would just take it easy on snowy days. I grew up driving rear wheel drive cars in the snow and it was a blast. I would enjoy it even in a truck (even more if we had the pull-stick emergency brakes for sliding around corners).

Here in Canada you literally can't buy a 2wd unless you order it yourself. They're just not built that way by the dealers.

As for fuel economy, I suspect that's one of those "you're right in theory, but in practice its immeasurable" kinda deals. I have no issues exceeding 23mpg regularly in my 4x4 (in 2wd mode of course). Highest I've gotten (once) is 8.4 l/100 km (so 28-ish mpg) on a 3 hour all freeway trip as recorded by the lie-o-meter so even correcting for that, 4x4 is not something you need to worry about when it comes to gas usage.

23RAM

Reaction score
I live in Minnesota and actually need 4x4 for the places that I go. However, if I lived somewhere that rarely got snow, there is no way that I would get 4x4.
4x4 isn't just for weather or road conditions. Ever try to pull a boat out of the water on a weed-slicked launch ramp? Some of the ramps around here require 4x4 or AWD to get up the ramp as the rear wheels will simply spin on the weeds.
It drags down your fuel economy, is added cost, and added weight.
All true, but it's a reasonable tradeoff for the added capability. Fuel economy isn't that big of a difference. Probably just skip one beer at the restaurant per fill-up and you break even with 4x4 fuel costs. And what's a few grand to the overall cost of the truck over the life of the truck? Skip a big mac meal once in a while and you're even. Healthier too.
😁
I wouldn't buy any vehicle without 4x4 or AWD because I need it all year round.

Quint

Reaction score
You and I are in the same boat.... Yes, I just pulled my boat out of a eurasion milfoil-infested lake with steep ramps last week. I had to throw it into 4Low. However, you're missing the point of my post above. Not everyone tows a boat or drives in adverse conditions. Those people don't need 4x4 to pick up their kids from soccer practice and to get groceries.

...and shame on you suggesting that I skip a Big Mac once in a while. I am the Hamburglar! :LOL:
1695307146094.png

BowDown

Reaction score
I have no regrets over not getting 4x4, don't need it for the 3 tines in 10 years that we get everything's closed due to Ice weather and even then, I managed with 4x2 just fine

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
You and I are in the same boat.... Yes, I just pulled my boat out of a eurasion milfoil-infested lake with steep ramps last week. I had to throw it into 4Low. However, you're missing the point of my post above. Not everyone tows a boat or drives in adverse conditions. Those people don't need 4x4 to pick up their kids from soccer practice and to get groceries.

...and shame on you suggesting that I skip a Big Mac once in a while. I am the Hamburglar! :LOL:
View attachment 167720
Ohhh, you mean soccer moms in Prius-trucks. I got ya.

BowDown

Reaction score
Ohhh, you mean soccer moms in Prius-trucks. I got ya.

No, those are the dylans driving the lifted 4x4 F250/350's through the mall parking lots looking for the spaces up close so they can go shopping at Express & Forever21.
3.92 4x4 guys aren't "quite" that bad...yet but they're only a pair of truck bawls away.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No, those are the dylans driving the lifted 4x4 F250/350's through the mall parking lots looking for the spaces up close so they can go shopping at Express & Forever21.
3.92 4x4 guys aren't "quite" that bad...yet but they're only a pair of truck bawls away.
You forgot lifted 3.92 mall shoppers. 🤫

BowDown

Reaction score
Cuts deep. But, I only bought a 4x4 to flex on my neighbors 2wd f150.

You could have saved some money and bought one of these for that

2126744.jpg

RAL

Reaction score
Mine is 4x4 but 4x2 is lighter, less expensive to buy, better fuel economy, and there is less to go wrong. I drove a RWD BMW in snow season for many years by mounting up winter wheels and tires and it could handle pretty much anything you would want to be out in. Plus, I don’t consider any pick up truck a true off-roader. So it’s not that I think 4x4 is useless, as I have it on my truck, but the reality is that most of the time (97%) I leave it in 2wd and it is fine.

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
I don't regret my 4x2 because when I bought it I didn't see the need for 4x4 where I live. Except for larger testicle reasons perhaps but nobody really cares. Only times I even come close to regret is when I drive on the beach like we are allowed to do here. I did get mildly stuck in the sand once but was pushed out by a couple of old men easily.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you don't contend with snow I suspect regrets with 2wd are much fewer.

I drove a RWD Sivlerado through 7 Colorado winters... lots of regret, but even more sandbags and white knuckles.

For off roading I went farther with that 2wd truck than I ever have with any 4x4. Part of that was simply it was a POS and I was more willing to throw it around, but part of it was curiosity.

Key to both scenarios is tires, something many 4x4 owners pay for anyway, so its not a factor IMO.

That said the 3 trucks I've had since that one have all been 4wd, and I cant say I've ever regretted having it.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I'm going to whip it around and swing my truck nuts into your window!

Users who are viewing this thread