5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any regrets not getting 4x4

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
4 wheel drive is effectively a free option unless you drive your vehicle until the wheels fall off. The resale/trade in value difference between a 4x4 and 4x2 nearly always covers the cost of buying a 4x4 over a 4x2. Also a 4x4 will sell much faster as there is a much bigger market for them.

I almost never use my 4x4 but I have had several times where I would have been stranded without it. I've also encountered boat ramps so steep and slick a 4x2 would not pull the boat out.

Wirerat

Reaction score
You could have saved some money and bought one of these for that

2126744.jpg
D*mn. Come to think of it. Anything that doesn't need a new transmission and cam phasers flex's on his f150.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Don't need 4x4, but used to have one. Now I still drive in the snow/ice, and still have no need. These trucks with all the traction control do just fine.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'm going to whip it around and swing my truck nuts into your window!

You really wanna let go of what's left of your truck "perceived manliness"? You do that and your truck will have the carolina squat, those nuts may be the only thing keeping your truck from dragging its donkey like a dog.

dog-butt.gif

BowDown

Reaction score
4 wheel drive is effectively a free option unless you drive your vehicle until the wheels fall off. The resale/trade in value difference between a 4x4 and 4x2 nearly always covers the cost of buying a 4x4 over a 4x2. Also a 4x4 will sell much faster as there is a much bigger market for them.

I almost never use my 4x4 but I have had several times where I would have been stranded without it. I've also encountered boat ramps so steep and slick a 4x2 would not pull the boat out.

4x4 isn't a free option, you pay for it when you buy the truck and you're re-paid for it when you sell the truck.
You don't pay for it on a 4x2 and when you sell the 4x2, you're paid as one would expect for a none 4x4 truck. I sold my previous 4x2 truck in a week. Now, if they'd hurry up with my Midnight Express 43' Quint, I'd trade for a 4x4

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
4x4 isn't a free option, you pay for it when you buy the truck and you're re-paid for it when you sell the truck.
You don't pay for it on a 4x2 and when you sell the 4x2, you're paid as one would expect for a none 4x4 truck. I sold my previous 4x2 truck in a week. Now, if they'd hurry up with my Midnight Express 43' Quint, I'd trade for a 4x4
Except cash for clunkers is over so now a used 2x4 is just worth the weight in scrap minus the tow fee.

Nice one with the dog by the way. What's he doing? Getting g the 2x4 smell off his butt? 😆

BowDown

Reaction score
Except cash for clunkers is over so now a used 2x4 is just worth the weight in scrap minus the tow fee.

Nice one with the dog by the way. What's he doing? Getting g the 2x4 smell off his butt? 😆

Nah, he's 4x4 but with 3.92 short legged syndrome so he Carolina squats everywhere he goes. It's just normalized behavior with the 4x4/3.92 crowd so you don't recognize it anymore although I don't see how you guys ignore your baboon butt.

Us regular folks that don't need those "enhancements" can more easily recognize the syndrome in you guys but you now seening and acknowledge it is half the battle and you're on the road to self help.
One foot out of the closet at a time and switch to Dos Equis 🤣

Rebond

Reaction score
I owned 5 different 4wd trucks while living in MI for 20 years.

Used 4wd about 8 times and only actually needed it a few of those times on snow/muddy construction sites. Mostly used it to go play in the fresh snow backroads.

I also had a couple trucks and vans with 2wd, just make sure to have an LSD rear end and good tires = no issues.

My current Ram is 2wd 3.92 LSD and I love it. Rides nice, less maintenance, better fuel economy, less weight and pretty fast with a few mods.

If I need 4wd, I'll drive the wife's Jeep JK.

killerformula

Reaction score
This is it 💯. I grew up in MI too, and most of the vehicles my family owned were not 4wd. I always chuckle at people showing some picture where there is an inch of snow on the ground and saying “oh man so glad I have my 4wd today!” I used to plow my 2wd cars through snow up to the bumper and we always figured out how to get them down the road. Don’t get me wrong I own a 4wd truck now and it’s nice to have. But the number of times you actually NEED 4wd vs it just being a nice to have option are really rare, even in a state that has actual weather. If you live someplace that has weather you just figure out how to make cars get down the road and it’s not a huge deal.

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got 4x2 because I live in Southern California. I have no regrets aside from hearing about it from coworkers.

U

User_133361

No regret here. Didn't need the 4x4 and didn't want to have a maintenance item for something I'm not going to use. Just depends on what you're going to use your truck for I'd say.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
The 4x2s seem to have forgotten about or probably never knew about the cool factor too. 😎

BowDown

Reaction score
Is that what you put on your chopped and lowered Prius? Put 3.92 tag on the axle and you can pretend to be cool all the way to the HomeGoods store. 😂

No, I put a 3.92 and 4x4 emblems on then post pics of me getting 23 mpg @ 70+ mph for 300+ miles to twist other 4x4 3.92 people into knots when they cant do the same.

giphy.gif

Users who are viewing this thread