5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any regrets not getting 4x4

STI_MECE

Reaction score
Living in Texas there has never been a situation where I wish i had 4x4 because I never put myself in that situation. 4x4 doesn't get you stuck or prevent you from cashing, its 100% driver induced. lol The only exception where I would buy a 4x4 is where its illegal to drive without it. 4x4 also does not mean some idiot driver isn't going to hit you. I tend to focus on what the capabilities of the other drivers are instead of mine, especially here in Houston. You up north folks are probably laughing hysterically at these drivers with this "snow" lol I have seen to many innocent people be killed due to poor driving of others. If I didn't have the expierence I have behind the wheel I can honestly count in one hand on cases where I wouldn't still be alive

I am more comfortable handling the dynamics of a vehicle than others with 10 solid years of participating in SCCA events ranging from autocross, rallycross, and time trials.

I really never understood the argument for the resale value. You PAY for the 4x4 when you buy the vehicle. Your going to get that difference back when you trade it in over a 4x2 of course, but that doesn't mean it is a better buy. You have an increased chance of parts failing, worse gas mileage, insurance is more expensive in houston for a 4x4? I do wonder if insurance companies provider cheaper rates to drivers with 4x4 up north.

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
Out here in California there is rarely a time when anyone needs 4x4 unless they live where it snows or go up to the snow often. I had a 2wd for 19 years and had zero issues. It was cheap no frills F150. Bought it for $15k brand new, automatic with air conditioning. Brand new full size truck for that price, I loved it. Put some big tires on it and made it like a Prerunner. Lasted 19 years with no issues other than having to replace the alternator. Something to be said about the simple vehicles. When I went to snow I just borrowed my dads truck :) Also, best use case I see for 2wd is if you are a gardener or contractor. Most gardeners here are 2wd beat up vehicles. Nothing wrong with the 2wd trucks and they do make a lot of sense for a lot of people. That being said, I love the 4wd because I go up to the snow often, can afford it, and like it for the "just in case" scenarios but the smart money is probably 2wd basic truck. Nobody needs all this stuff unless you tow or are in bad weather a lot but it sure is nice to have :)

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The other cost comes with awd, most makers will tell you that all 4 tires have to match in treadwear and type.

I cut a sidewall and due to the tires being over 50% worn, ended up having to get all 4... 😮🙄👎

Insurance is significantly more on 4x4 trucks as well

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I love reading 2wd owners justify and defend the lack of a need for 4WD. They always start with the nascar theory, “it’s the driver not the truck”!....lol

there’s zero comparison between 2wd and 4 wd as far as capability goes. Then there’s the in icy conditions 4WD doesn’t help at all......laughing

I can’t even pull away from a stop sign or stoplight in 2wd in any wintry mix of weather in 2wd. Traction control going crazy and I’m barely moving, I can’t even pull up my gravel driveway to my house (kind of steep) in 2wd.

If all you do is drive to work abd the grocery store on concrete roads in warm climate locations then 2wd may work, but anywhere else and in any place with multiple weather seasons 2wd is a disadvantage.

And I lived in Texas for 10 years, all 10 driving a 4 wd truck.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
CC, since I own an awd Ferd CUV and the RAM 4x, I can hardly be placed in the “justify 2wd” camp yet can say that it has almost never been absolutely needed.

Have I used it? Yes however when I “needed” 4x it was more due to going out because “I had it and could”. The option would have been to chain or cable up or just wait till the road was plowed or conditions improved.

I lived in Colorado 10 years and Canada for 6. During that time I saw far too many 4x’s in the ditch/median. It wasn’t due to their lack of traction, it was more the speeds the drivers travelled thinking they had 8 wheel brakes or could defy the laws of physics on curves.

There’s no doubt if you have 2 similar trucks one being 4x and one 2x both with the same tires, driver and type of differentials, the 4x will have the traction edge. Yet for decades (and still today) the tradesman, farmer or rancher with a 2x just needed open lug “mud n snows” and some weight in the back to get places and did so just fine. (Oh a locker or similar diff certainly helped too.)

Take a look at the recent YT ice storm videos that are up, you’ll see plenty of hapless 4x’s spun out thus yes, “it’s the driver” as most (edit) seemed to not understand that 4x doesnt help you on ice. (I guess they had to try though.)

The old school idea was to only use 4H/4L to get yourself out of trouble because if you got yourself stuck in 4H or 4L you were really stuck. Today it seems like 4x is supposed to replace good winter tires and common sense. 🙄

If you want 4x then get it, if you don't then use proper tires and maybe cables/chains and that’s fine too. If you enjoy mud bogging or plowing through 12” of fresh snow then yes, it’s needed. But for “normal” times its not necessary cause “its the driver”. 😮

Last edited by a moderator:

BowDown

Reaction score
I love reading 2wd owners justify and defend the lack of a need for 4WD. They always start with the nascar theory, “it’s the driver not the truck”!....lol

there’s zero comparison between 2wd and 4 wd as far as capability goes. Then there’s the in icy conditions 4WD doesn’t help at all......laughing

I can’t even pull away from a stop sign or stoplight in 2wd in any wintry mix of weather in 2wd. Traction control going crazy and I’m barely moving, I can’t even pull up my gravel driveway to my house (kind of steep) in 2wd.

If all you do is drive to work abd the grocery store on concrete roads in warm climate locations then 2wd may work, but anywhere else and in any place with multiple weather seasons 2wd is a disadvantage.

And I lived in Texas for 10 years, all 10 driving a 4 wd truck.

Lol, wrong.
If you think 4x4 is going to be the sole reason you're not in a ditch stuck vs a 4x2 truck, you're likely one of the types I've seen in a ditch wrecked. I've driven past more wrecked or stranded 4x4s with false 4x4 bravado than I can remember and strangely, the bulk of the vehicles navigating Texas roads right now are 2wd cars and trucks and minivans, strange.
Can't pull away from the stop sign in wintery mix? I can in my 2wd, must be the driver. I highly doubt the bulk of people buying 2wd trucks couldn't have bought 4x4 if they wanted it but you go on thinking "the driver" doesn't matter

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lottsa chest-thumping...LOL.

Given EQUAL drivers, and EQUAL tires, 4wd will give you more capability. Then, of course, you can opine on whether you (or they?) need that capability.

If you want to debate which factor is most important, well, I'd say the driver is always the determining factor in whether a vehicle gets stuck or not. The tires and driveline just let that driver go more or less far to that point.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lol, wrong.
If you think 4x4 is going to be the sole reason you're not in a ditch stuck vs a 4x2 truck, you're likely one of the types I've seen in a ditch wrecked. I've driven past more wrecked or stranded 4x4s with false 4x4 bravado than I can remember and strangely, the bulk of the vehicles navigating Texas roads right now are 2wd cars and trucks and minivans, strange.
Can't pull away from the stop sign in wintery mix? I can in my 2wd, must be the driver. I highly doubt the bulk of people buying 2wd trucks couldn't have bought 4x4 if they wanted it but you go on thinking "the driver" doesn't matter
The driver is absolutely a big part of it, the last snow storm I saw two vehicles in the ditch, one was a Range Rover and the other was a Subaru both regarded as highly capable winter vehicles but in the end the reason they were in the ditch was driver error as their were plenty of 2wd cars and trucks that did not go off the road.

BowDown

Reaction score
Lottsa chest-thumping...LOL.

Given EQUAL drivers, and EQUAL tires, 4wd will give you more capability. Then, of course, you can opine on whether you (or they?) need that capability.

If you want to debate which factor is most important, well, I'd say the driver is always the determining factor in whether a vehicle gets stuck or not. The tires and driveline just let that driver go more or less far to that point.

But drivers aren't equal, period so that doesnt work.
There are people that only know how to mash a throttle and there are people that can actually drive.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Did u guys see grimreefers signature?
Ha ha karaoke...

PS - Thanks for your service, nobody remembers that the Merchant Marine were the undecorated and unsung heroes in WW2. Many died in the freezing N Atlantic.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I think we have strayed off topic.
The question was:
“Any regrets not getting 4x4”

Thus posters like me who bought 4x, well, need not have responded I suppose. 🤔

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There are people that only know how to mash a throttle and there are people that can actually drive.
Great. Sounds like you're the best at 2WD and you're unable to get a 4WD to perform better for you than a 2WD. Gotcha.

You stick with 2WD. The others, not your equal, will use 4WD.

Or did you completely misunderstand "equal"?

I'll make it simple: for the rest of this thread, I'll postulate that you're THE BEST 2WD DRIVER...EVA. Galaxy-wide.

You seem to be saying that, despite that sobriquet, that you'd be unable to do better in a 4WD vehicle. Okay. That's you.

ETA: Yes, I purchased a 4WD. Reasons.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Great. Sounds like you're the best at 2WD and you're unable to get a 4WD to perform better for you than a 2WD. Gotcha.

I'll make it simple: for the rest of this thread, I'll postulate that you're THE BEST 2WD DRIVER...EVA. Galaxy-wide.

You seem to be saying that, despite that sobriquet, that you'd be unable to do better in a 4WD vehicle. Okay. That's you.

^^^^This

it’s amazing that some will argue against that logic!

silver billet

Reaction score

I think the point is though, that you (personally) will do better in many situations with a 4x4 than you would with 2wd, all else being equal.

I'm neither horrible nor best in class when it comes to driving. But I've backed a small-ish boat up a wet grassy slope and the truck simply would not do it in 2wd. Tires were stock, so yeah I get it. But the simple fact is, just dropping to 4 auto and the truck backed it up without a single slip of the wheels.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Ok now that we've beat that to topic death and been “less than gracious” to others, guess there isn't anything much else to say about 4x. Get it if you want to.

We could shift to “Any regrets not getting a manual transmission” and that would be a lively topic as well except there's no more manuals in our trucks.

BowDown

Reaction score

No, sounds like my limits are higher than yours and you need the crutch of 4WD to do what I can with 2WD.
Secondly, I've already said there's situations where 4x4 would be beneficial, you should try reading

BowDown

Reaction score
I think the point is though, that you (personally) will do better in many situations with a 4x4 than you would with 2wd, all else being equal.

I'm neither horrible nor best in class when it comes to driving. But I've backed a small-ish boat up a wet grassy slope and the truck simply would not do it in 2wd. Tires were stock, so yeah I get it. But the simple fact is, just dropping to 4 auto and the truck backed it up without a single slip of the wheels.

Again, I've already said there's situations where 4x4 would have been a benefit to me, living in Texas, with the exception of boat ramps, there are none though.

BowDown

Reaction score
Ok now that we've beat that to topic death and been “less than gracious” to others, guess there isn't anything much else to say about 4x. Get it if you want to.

We could shift to “Any regrets not getting a manual transmission” and that would be a lively topic as well except there's no more manuals in our trucks.

No S or the logic with some, why not get the truck fully loaded as it will resell for more than a stripper truck

Users who are viewing this thread