5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any regrets not getting 4x4

BigD

Reaction score
With a winter weather advisory in Texas & snow in Louisiana, anyone regret getting 4x2 ? Here in Minnesota a truck is not a truck if it's not 4x4. I'm always shocked at the amount of people buying Ram trucks with 4x2 on this forum.

BigD

Reaction score
Also just thinking even if u live down south don't people want to take their truck in the dirt, mud or the woods ? Go hunting, find that fishing spot ? Seems 4x4 is pretty damn useful. Here in Minnesota the only Rams that are 4x2 is maybe 1 or 2 on the lot that are completely stripped down Tradesmen.

SB09

Reaction score
I don’t regret not getting 4x4 because I do actually have 4x4 and am from Texas. Most people here that have trucks are 4x4. I’ve personally never purchased a 2x4 truck.

Same here... Most 2x4 trucks are stripped work vehicles that don’t get driven in this type weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BigD

Reaction score
I don’t regret not getting 4x4 because I do actually have 4x4 and am from Texas. Most people here that have trucks are 4x4. I’ve personally never purchased a 2x4 truck.

Right on man. I had a company work truck that was 4x2 once. I can't count how many times I got stuck backing into the new construction jobsite. The boss of that company was cheap though. Back in 2006 he was buying brand new chevy 1500 single cab V-6 stick shift work trucks completely stripped down with no A/C & crank down windows for $14,000 brand new !! Nowadays I bet that same truck is $35k

SB09

Reaction score
Right on man. I had a company work truck that was 4x2 once. I can't count how many times I got stuck backing into the new construction jobsite. The boss of that company was cheap though. Back in 2006 he was buying brand new chevy 1500 single cab V-6 stick shift work trucks completely stripped down with no A/C & crank down windows for $14,000 brand new !! Nowadays I bet that same truck is $35k

A 4x2 truck is almost worse than a car or suv that is rear wheel drive. No weight back there over the drive axle.

You’re exactly right. These days you’d definitely be looking at the 30s.

Bad thing about Texas is the severe ice storms we get periodically. I can go anywhere today, in any of my vehicles, because it’s snow. Those days when it sleets and ices over are no fun traveling.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had a couple of 2wd trucks here in Ohio, I took them through all kinds of winter weather and never got stuck, just need to keep good tires and put some weight over the rear axle. That said I wouldn't go back to a 4x2 truck after have several 4x4 trucks. It's nice to be able to just accelerate in ice/snow without having to constantly feather the throttle to get going.

Last edited:

silverWS6

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm from far west Texas and I used to own a 2014 Silverado 4x2. I liked that truck but really wanted a Z71. However, that was out of price range at the time.

I was also having this exact conversation with my wife today as we drove back from Ruidoso, NM. We got some pretty good snow there and I can tell you that a 2wd truck, or any vehicle would not have been able to even get out of the driveway of our Airbnb.

I tried in 2wd just for fun and it was spin city. Could a couple sandbags and some tricks make it work? Probably. Was it easy for me push the 4high button and send it? Absolutely!

Would we have made the trip if we knew the snow was coming and we had a 2wd truck, probably not. Was I hella glad that we had a 4x4 truck? Yes sir!!!

Long story short, I'll never own a 4x2 truck again!

A picture from the drive.

20210214_113931.jpg Snapchat-277779559.jpg

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In 2005, I bought a new 2006 Silverado Z71 4x4. So many of my Florida friends and neighbors asked me why I bought a 4x4 living in Florida. I told them that you never know when you might need that 4x4 and resale gets you the money back. In 2010, I was in Minnesota from January to June. In 2012, I was back in Minnesota in December. I was having a good ol time in the snow.

Now, it's 2021 and I have a Rebel 4x4. Still in Florida, but I don't see the point of a 4x2 when I could be back up north next year!

KCViper

Reaction score
Living in Texas and don't expect to be off-road that much.....still ordered a 4x4. Following the adage of I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it!

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've only owned 4X2 trucks. In all those years I might have gotten stuck twice. I'll take the great fuel mileage to dragging around all the dead weight. If it was bad weather, I used my car.
Grew up and worked in Alaska until I was in my 40’s...never have had a 4x4 until I got to Texas. Sandbags in the rear of my 2WD and studded snow tires were always the trick to getting around on ice and snow. I was always amazed with folks from the lower 48 who moved to Alaska and purchased a brand new 4WD only to end up in the ditch after learning the 4WD rule - four wheel drive does not equal 4 wheel stop. I’m not knocking 4WDs but a 2WD can get around fine with common sense...in a night like this I don’t even venture out as I’m not worried about my 2WD driving as it is the other guy hitting me in his 2WD or 4WD that is more of a concern.

mikestoys

Reaction score

Same here... Most 2x4 trucks are stripped work vehicles that don’t get driven in this type weather.

mikestoys

Reaction score
I have a 2021 limited 1500 with every option available except 4 x 4 and the dreaded sunroof and don't have any regrets . I live in south Florida , tow a grand design 2800bh TT , or a 17' boat, and love my new ride. Works for Me

HeavyMetalHauler

Reaction score
Here’s the thing… I love my 2021 1500 4x4, my first ever truck and first ever 4x4. But realistically none of that matters all that much.

I live in Canada and get snow half of the year.

Prior to my truck I had a 2012 Honda Civic with snow tires during winter months and never once did I get stuck. With a little bit of common sense and knowing how to drive per conditions it’s not hard to navigate winter weather

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

broken_vet

Reaction score
Grew up and worked in Alaska until I was in my 40’s...never have had a 4x4 until I got to Texas. Sandbags in the rear of my 2WD and studded snow tires were always the trick to getting around on ice and snow. I was always amazed with folks from the lower 48 who moved to Alaska and purchased a brand new 4WD only to end up in the ditch after learning the 4WD rule - four wheel drive does not equal 4 wheel stop. I’m not knocking 4WDs but a 2WD can get around fine with common sense...in a night like this I don’t even venture out as I’m not worried about my 2WD driving as it is the other guy hitting me in his 2WD or 4WD that is more of a concern.
You said it perfectly. Most of the time it's not the number of wheels that have power to them, it's the driver, especially on ice and snow. I'm guilty of having done some really really stupid things because I thought that 4x4 made me invincible. I'm not exaggerating when I say that during storms, I see more 4x4's on the side of the road then I do 2 wheel drive vehicles. Not that I'm opinionated about this subject...lol

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
4x4 here. If your buying a truck you might as well buy a 4wd. It’s better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it IMO.

Living in NW Florida 4x4 trucks aren’t commonly sitting on car lots most dealers order 2wd since 4wd isn’t necessary here for the majority of people. When I was shopping for both my old 4th gen and new 5th gen first thing I told the salesman.. 4wd only don’t bother showing me a 4x2 pick up truck no matter how much cheaper it is. He said why you live in Florida. I said yes I live here doesn’t mean that I’m only driving here. I work out of state most of the year there’s no telling where the next job is located and which part of the season I’ll land in. Better to be prepared plus I frequent up north during downtime to visit family during the snowy season. Jobsites aren’t always in the best location so having that extra comfort from being stuck is well worth the extra cost IMO but I understand some guys having a budget and the extra cost of 4wd sometimes puts over that.

Users who are viewing this thread