5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any regrets not getting 4x4

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
With my 1997 and 2008 rams, even with 4WD, I would put 10
cinder blocks in the bed for extra weight. I started doing that
when I had no traction with my '94 Dakota and spun out. Drove
strait to Home Depot and purchased my first set.

I think I can get enough weight in the '21 Laramie with the Cap and
the AUX fuel tank in the bed.

Malodave

Last edited:

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Never owned a 2wd truck and have never understood why anyone would buy one. A front wheel drive car has better traction that a rear wheel drive truck. Snow, ice, mud, sand, wet roads, boat ramps, etc....2 wd trucks are horrible for traction! A tip....If you have one you need to put 400 + Lbs of sand bags in the bed to get any traction in winter conditions.

Glenn54

Reaction score
I have owned nothing but 2WD pickups. Recently we purchased a small travel trailer and I wish I would have got 4WD. From what I understand I would rarely need 4WD but I'd like to have it if I need it.

Granite2WD

Reaction score
I had a couple of 2wd trucks here in Ohio, I took them through all kinds of winter weather and never got stuck, just need to keep good tires and put some weight over the rear axle. That said I wouldn't go back to a 4x2 truck after have several 4x4 trucks. It's nice to be able to just accelerate in ice/snow without having to constantly feather the throttle to get going.
I currently have a 2wd Ram in Cleveland, Ohio and glad I have it. This truck stretched my budget enough and I enjoy the lower payment, better MPG, reduced maintenance and higher payload.

I have a short drive to work on main roads the are quickly plowed and I find that 2wd is just fine for me. I see just as many 4wds stuck off of the highway as I do Fwds and 2wds.

I enjoy the 2wd accurately telling me to slow down rather than a 4wd accelerating like normal and then when you try and stop or turn you find out the road conditions are worse than you expected.

With all of the electronic aids on modern trucks, I think a 4wd is only necessary if you live somewhere very hilly or in the mountains, or if you want to go off-road. Other than that, it's fine if you want it, but I don't think 2wd trucks are as terrible as many people think.

Bcryan

Reaction score
1) You only save just over $3000 for not getting a 4X4 and at the price we pay for these vehicles $30 extra a month is peanuts..

2) Yes a 2 wheel drive can get around if need be. I live in the snow belt, went to college where we talked about snow in feet not inches, and drove a 78 montecarlo 60 plus miles round trip every other day. Heavy a$$ car but it made it...When I got my 4X4 and didn’t worry about the a$$ kicking out I was hooked.

3) My neighbor has a 454 SS and it would make no sense to have it as a 4X4. Its a street truck, fast as hell and sits in a pole barn all winter.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have a 4x2 Limited and specifically sought out 4x2, passed on many 4x4 trucks because I simply didn't need it.
I've lived in North Texas all my life and never had a problem with FWD or RWD in any weather, its not the vehicle, its the driver. Don't drive like a moron in snow and ice and 4x2 vs 4x4 is pointless. Yeah there's situations where 4x4 could be more useful but its never prevented me from going anywhere in bad weather. IMO, the 4x4 is better in bad weather is a crutch for poor driving ability, like ABS, traction control and launch control

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 4x2 Limited and specifically sought out 4x2, passed on many 4x4 trucks because I simply didn't need it.
I've lived in North Texas all my life and never had a problem with FWD or RWD in any weather, its not the vehicle, its the driver. Don't drive like a moron in snow and ice and 4x2 vs 4x4 is pointless. Yeah there's situations where 4x4 could be more useful but its never prevented me from going anywhere in bad weather. IMO, the 4x4 is better in bad weather is a crutch for poor driving ability, like ABS, traction control and launch control
Live in the snow belt, went in a turn 2 days ago at about 5 mph, the truck started to slide, switched it to 4Hi, and immediately sorted it. I'd have to disagree to it being a crutch. We get about 107 inches of snow annually and 4WD is a must. Tires help more so of course obvi.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I currently have a 2wd Ram in Cleveland, Ohio and glad I have it. This truck stretched my budget enough and I enjoy the lower payment, better MPG, reduced maintenance and higher payload.

I have a short drive to work on main roads the are quickly plowed and I find that 2wd is just fine for me. I see just as many 4wds stuck off of the highway as I do Fwds and 2wds.

I enjoy the 2wd accurately telling me to slow down rather than a 4wd accelerating like normal and then when you try and stop or turn you find out the road conditions are worse than you expected.

With all of the electronic aids on modern trucks, I think a 4wd is only necessary if you live somewhere very hilly or in the mountains, or if you want to go off-road. Other than that, it's fine if you want it, but I don't think 2wd trucks are as terrible as many people think.
Your middle statement is very accurate. The issue with 4x systems is that you can keep going until you are stuck, then you have little to no recourse to get out.

Decades ago when there were manual hubs, a driver would go along until he lost traction/got stuck then engage the hubs and get out. Now I‘m not saying its not useful or helpful, just saying that it isnt the cure-all that clueless younger drivers think it is.

Just like living without microwaves and cell phones, it’s a wonder civilization ever advanced. Same with auto 4x or awd.

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Your middle statement is very accurate. The issue with 4x systems is that you can keep going until you are stuck, then you have little to no recourse to get out.

Decades ago when there were manual hubs, a driver would go along until he lost traction/got stuck then engage the hubs and get out. Now I‘m not saying its not useful or helpful, just saying that it isnt the cure-all that clueless younger drivers think it is.

Just like living without microwaves and cell phones, it’s a wonder civilization ever advanced. Same with auto 4x or awd.
Exactly ^^^

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Another reason I got my 2wd in Cleveland is they often sit on the lot forever and dealers are more willing to negotiate on them.
Yeah where the hell did you find a 2wd truck in Cleveland? :LOL: Of the almost 17,000 new Trucks in a 150 mile radius of me, only 210 are RWD...That's about 1%.

xspeedy

Reaction score
Never owned a 2wd truck and have never understood why anyone would buy one. A front wheel drive car has better traction that a rear wheel drive truck. Snow, ice, mud, sand, wet roads, boat ramps, etc....2 wd trucks are horrible for traction! A tip....If you have one you need to put 400 + Lbs of sand bags in the bed to get any traction in winter conditions.

It shouldn’t be that complicated to understand. It is around need. I’m in TX and I have no plans to take my truck off pavement - it is a street truck. Outside of the last couple of days, we don’t know what snow is. When it is wet, I just have to feather the throttle a bit but that isn’t a big deal. Proper trucks lack 4WD, the ones that deliver produce to your grocery store or move furniture.

Plus, I change my oil more than I need 4WD and I prefer easier access to my filter.

Sherran

Reaction score
It shouldn’t be that complicated to understand. It is around need. I’m in TX and I have no plans to take my truck off pavement - it is a street truck. Outside of the last couple of days, we don’t know what snow is. When it is wet, I just have to feather the throttle a bit but that isn’t a big deal. Proper trucks lack 4WD, the ones that deliver produce to your grocery store or move furniture.

Plus, I change my oil more than I need 4WD and I prefer easier access to my filter.

Exactly. In south Texas we get weather like this, what? Every 10 years? Lol

BowDown

Reaction score
Live in the snow belt, went in a turn 2 days ago at about 5 mph, the truck started to slide, switched it to 4Hi, and immediately sorted it. I'd have to disagree to it being a crutch. We get about 107 inches of snow annually and 4WD is a must. Tires help more so of course obvi.

What did the road tell you prior to the slide? That's part of knowing how to drive, being able to read the road and knowing what's going to happen prior to it happening, for instance, on ice when I need to make a turn. I'm looking at the crown of the road, previous tire tracks and where fresh snow/ice is. I'll enter the turn on the opposite side of the crown so I minimize sliding, I'll also drive in the fresh snow with no tire tracks which helps to eliminate sliding. I've survived every ice and snow storm Dallas has had in 2WD, remember the Jerry World Ice SuperBowl of 2011, I had no issues driving around Dallas and that was ice.
4WD can help but I don't find it necessary and I do find it and other driving aids a crutch for bad driving and bad decision making

Last edited:

BowDown

Reaction score

This comment proves my point that 4WD can be a crutch for poor driving or bad decisions

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What did the road tell you prior to the slide?
My point is the truck would not have slid if it was in 4HI prior to the turn. I had just got off the off-ramp from the interstate and was entering the first street. On the 2020 HD we have, it doesn't have 4Auto. The Highway was clear enough to be in 2WD. So I was getting ready to switch the transfer case as I entered the street anyway. Light was already green and I don't like switching the case at anything above 0 mph. Went and turned from a stop, no more than 5mph and its sliding. It's not ice, its snow. Ice will provide little to no traction, where as snow, usually wet snow, will cause fishtailing in turns like that. 4WD is not an end all be all, but ask anyone up North; and then tell you it stabilizes the vehicle much better. That's just how its designed.

BowDown

Reaction score
My point is the truck would not have slid if it was in 4HI prior to the turn. I had just got off the off-ramp from the interstate and was entering the first street. On the 2020 HD we have, it doesn't have 4Auto. The Highway was clear enough to be in 2WD. So I was getting ready to switch the transfer case as I entered the street anyway. Light was already green and I don't like switching the case at anything above 0 mph. Went and turned from a stop, no more than 5mph and its sliding. It's not ice, its snow. Ice will provide little to no traction, where as snow, usually wet snow, will cause fishtailing in turns like that. 4WD is not an end all be all, but ask anyone up North; and then tell you it stabilizes the vehicle much better. That's just how its designed.

If I lived in a climate that had more snow like Northern NM, CO or anywhere further north, no question, I'd have bought 4x4 just for the extra insurance. Here in North Texas, no need at all and no regrets. I have a 700hp Z06, a 90 degree day with tire temps in the 160's is like driving on ice in that car, this snow we're getting now aint nothing, slow walk through the park.
Honestly, this truck is too expensive and I had no intention of taking a 65-70k truck off-roading or anywhere 4x4 would be needed. If I had to drive in this consistently, I'd buy a beater because no matter how good a driver you are, you're gonna be involved in an accident at some point

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What did the road tell you prior to the slide? That's part of knowing how to drive, being able to read the road and knowing what's going to happen prior to it happening, for instance, on ice when I need to make a turn. I'm looking at the crown of the road, previous tire tracks and where fresh snow/ice is. I'll enter the turn on the opposite side of the crown so I minimize sliding, I'll also drive in the fresh snow with no tire tracks which helps to eliminate sliding. I've survived every ice and snow storm Dallas has had in 2WD, remember the Jerry World Ice SuperBowl of 2011, I had no issues driving around Dallas and that was ice.
4WD can help but I don't find it necessary and I do find it and other driving aids a crutch for bad driving and bad decision making

If I lived in a climate that had more snow like Northern NM, CO or anywhere further north, no question, I'd have bought 4x4 just for the extra insurance. Here in North Texas, no need at all and no regrets. I have a 700hp Z06, a 90 degree day with tire temps in the 160's is like driving on ice in that car, this snow we're getting now aint nothing, slow walk through the park

4WD does little to nothing with icey conditions. I'm talking about snow. As I said prior I knew it was gonna slide prior to me even turning, my hand was literally on the switches for the TC. And well yeah obvi, you will rarely if ever need it in Texas. But to say it's a crutch is just a blanket statement for people who get 100 more inches of snow compared to you guys down south.

Users who are viewing this thread