5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any regrets not getting 4x4

BigD

Reaction score
If it were just me I'd take a mechanical locker rear diff 4x2 over an open diff 4x4. Basically all you have with an open diff 4x is 1 wheel in the front and 1 wheel in the back getting power, sometimes not even that. At least the mechanical locker assures you of both rears pushing.

The less weight and simplicity of the drivetrain, for the few times I'd likely ever need it, makes for that choice.
Now with all of the computerized wheel spin/traction control aids this can be different.

An older post (2013) from an auto forum said: (Begin copied post): "After having 2 different Chevy 4WD trucks running Blizzaks I found 4WD not needed most of the time, although fun. So, I went back to 2WD with 4 Bizzaks, and locking diff that the 4WD trucks didn't have. Sure it would be nice to have 4WD once in a while, but the 2WD works great with 4 winter tires. I would take a 2WD with winter tires over 4WD with regular tires any day in the snow. I can pull away from most 4WD vehicles running all seasons in the snow. Plus 4WD is no advantage for stopping and turning, which is half the battle in the winter. I like 2WD even more when the roads are clear. It mostly comes down to the right tires for the conditions, and after using winter tires every year for 20 years now, it is the ONLY way in winter!" (End copied post)

Like the guy said, a 4x2 equipped with true winter tires can better a 4x with "all-season", (which are mostly crap).

Now due to the wife driving by herself, I buy 4x auto and put weight in the bed (320# of sandbags in front of/over the rear axle, 8 bags x 40#).

BigD

Reaction score
Idk man, I got an open diff & haven't had any problems. Lots of snow in MN. Also I work construction & never a problem getting thru the mud on the jobsite. Honestly I never paid attention to what type of differential I had b4 everyone was talking about it on this forum. I've only been stuck 2 times in my life. Both times I was towing a trailer & on a jobsite during the spring thaw when the ground was saturated & I was on clay soil.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I had a 4x that would get stuck on 3 snowflakes (it seemed), that was a 77' GMC 1 ton CC 8' bed. That thing would spin (when empty) if you looked at it crosswise. Some weird combination of drivetrain/tires I guess. As I remember the 16.5 tires wore like iron so perhaps the rubber compound was formulated for max wear and min grip... Maybe today the rating would be: Treadwear 1,000 Grip : F-

Last edited by a moderator:

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Right on man. I had a company work truck that was 4x2 once. I can't count how many times I got stuck backing into the new construction jobsite. The boss of that company was cheap though. Back in 2006 he was buying brand new chevy 1500 single cab V-6 stick shift work trucks completely stripped down with no A/C & crank down windows for $14,000 brand new !! Nowadays I bet that same truck is $35k
Looks like $27K can get you a stripper now, well it has p/w, keyless entry and a hitch receiver...

2021 Ram 1500 Classic Tradesman Truck Regular Cab

• MSRP $31,225
  • You Save $4,205
  • Internet Price $27,020

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
4x4 makes no difference on ice.

Just stay home.
A comment on an old forum about driving on snow/ice: "I’m not sure where you are, but I was in the middle of IA on I-80 (on my way home the CO) when that ice storm started on saturday morning. It didn’t matter what you were driving, I saw all kinds of vehicles upside-down on the side of the road. I watched a semi slide off at about 2 mph just because the road had a slight crown. I found a hotel room and waited it out."

Here's a Feb 2020 YT, it shows the effects of not great tires with ice just under the snow: (doesn't take long to see the difficulty even an empty bed posi 4x has.

HOW 4x4 Works on Ice (Real world Demonstration)

Actually this next one with 2020 Chevs is interesting (Cdn):

Do you really need winter tires on a 4x4 truck?​

And finally for us RAM fans, no ice but deeper snow:

RAM 1500 Off-Road 4WD Lock Test In Deep Snow (I Was WRONG..) | Real World 4x4 review 2.0​

For a good laugh start it at about 6:10...

Last edited by a moderator:

jkm312

Reaction score
Ice will defeat the best of us eventually, especially the frozen solid wet glaring ice. I've got a lot of time and miles in the big rigs in all kinds of conditions many years ago. The trick I learned to use is watching what the rear wheels on the vehicle ahead of you is throwing up. If you are on ice and its throwing up whitish slush you can still keep going but slowly and don't do anything quick or sudden. Forget about your brakes, stay well back and use your gears. If its clear and watery looking, time to get off the road before you get into trouble or hurt. Even chains don't help that much in this circumstance. In all cases pay attention to the wind, especially the cross winds, that's usually what I call the final factor.

I've had both 2WD and 4WD trucks. You can get anything stuck if you don't watch what you are doing. Never thought much of the older models where you had to get out and lock in the hubs. The way we are set up today is very workable as long as you understand the mechanics and capability of the truck. I prefer 4WD in the slick stuff, it will help to keep you straighter, but it won't stop you any quicker.

BNeal

Reaction score
I posted this in another forum today, so if you have already seen it... sorry, but it speaks to the question from the OP:

So, went to work today (McKinney, TX) and the roads are obviously snow-packed, and will remain so until it melts. Anyway... coming home, this guy pulls up next to me in this super high-lifted F150, and he can't pull away from the stoplight. Dude has a 2-wheel drive truck with all that lift stuff. All show and no go! I was embarrassed for him as I pulled away in my stock FWD Ram.

drew7811

Reaction score
My first full size truck was my 2011 Dodge Ram Laramie. It was 4x2. I had it until last January. I made it through Kentucky winters with no issues. I just put some weight over the rear axle when winter weather was coming. It was not a big deal at all. Granted I do like my 4x4 now. It does alleviate the stress of a few hills around here that made you nervous back in the 4x2 days. I don't "regret" having a 4x2 though.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've seen many posts stating they drive a 2WD because they learned how to drive in a RWD car in the snow. That's great, but that doesn't answer why people want one over the other today. I learned to drive in the 80s. I lived up north and at the top of a mountain. My first car was an '83 Camaro. My second car was an '82 Camaro. I then had an '89 Camaro when I lived in Minnesota. Learning to drive a certain vehicle type probably isn't the main reason some of you stuck with 2WD. I went 4WD when I bought my first full size truck in 1994. I like the stance better, the suspension is tighter and they are just cooler in my mind. So, 4x4 for me, if I buy a truck. The added new cost is recaptured at resale, as used prices are about the same difference as they are new.

BigD

Reaction score
I've seen many posts stating they drive a 2WD because they learned how to drive in a RWD car in the snow. That's great, but that doesn't answer why people want one over the other today. I learned to drive in the 80s. I lived up north and at the top of a mountain. My first car was an '83 Camaro. My second car was an '82 Camaro. I then had an '89 Camaro when I lived in Minnesota. Learning to drive a certain vehicle type probably isn't the main reason some of you stuck with 2WD. I went 4WD when I bought my first full size truck in 1994. I like the stance better, the suspension is tighter and they are just cooler in my mind. So, 4x4 for me, if I buy a truck. The added new cost is recaptured at resale, as used prices are about the same difference as they are new.
Your like me. My 1st car was a '77 Camaro, then a '87 Firebird, then a '78 Trans Am. All while living in Minnesota my whole life ! That's back when I was young & dumb. Now days I not into doing donuts & crap. When I hit the gas I want to go immediately, not tail spin & spin the tires for 2 or 3 minutes!

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had to take my 2WD out twice last night and twice this morning as I’m hauling fuel in 5 gallon jugs from the Exxon station for my neighbors. Everyone throws their jugs in the back of my truck, a couple guys jump in and we go to Exxon.

We have had no power/heat in our neighborhood for the past 14 hours and this may go on until Friday so need the fuel for generators. Ice everywhere and on the second trip one of the guys said the four wheel drive was working well and wished he had one. I explained it was a 2WD and the driver is what makes the difference, not the front differential (or lack thereof).

BigD

Reaction score
I had to take my 2WD out twice last night and twice this morning as I’m hauling fuel in 5 gallon jugs from the Exxon station for my neighbors. Everyone throws their jugs in the back of my truck, a couple guys jump in and we go to Exxon.

We have had no power/heat in our neighborhood for the past 14 hours and this may go on until Friday so need the fuel for generators. Ice everywhere and on the second trip one of the guys said the four wheel drive was working well and wished he had one. I explained it was a 2WD and the driver is what makes the difference, not the front differential (or lack thereof).
No power down there, how u gonna keep your pipes from freezing?

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No power down there, how u gonna keep your pipes from freezing?
1.4 million in Texas with no power. Some of us have generators...others will have a mess with frozen pipes. Who knew! Using hurricane generators to keep the house from freezing in Texas! Global warming my ***! 😉

Scram1500

Reaction score
Frozen windmills, the same ones that get shut down when it's too windy:rolleyes:

jimchi

Reaction score
1.4 million in Texas with no power. Some of us have generators...others will have a mess with frozen pipes. Who knew! Using hurricane generators to keep the house from freezing in Texas! Global warming my ***! 😉
FYI, let your faucets run at a trickle to prevent frozen pipes (and shutoff exterior faucets):

Sherran

Reaction score
2wd in South Texas w/ ice on the roads yesterday - no regrets mostly because I just didn't leave my house. Did just fine in the snow this morning, though. Hopefully I'll never be in a situation where I wish I had 4x4. This is my second 2wd truck. Maybe my next one I'll play around with 4x4.

dearchristopher

Reaction score
working from home in setx, had to get out after work finished yesterday to check on my parents and in-laws. on my way home i slipped around a little, mostly just taking it very slow on the roads and not driving much. 4wd-auto has been a nice peace of mind, but i could manage if i had my old 2wd 4th gen. i’m glad i have 4x4, though

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Vince Shanahan

Reaction score
Hello
I have Driven 2wd cars and trucks love sideways. I live in New England. But it is easier to click 4w Auto. And go it is worth more when you trade them in. But a couple of weeks ago. I received a gift of 19 inches of snow and I feel in love with her again.

Users who are viewing this thread