5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any Drawbacks to 33 Gallon Tank?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
My philosophy for going with a 33 gallon tank was this; I don't have to fill it up full every time I go to the station, but if I have to do a long trip, it is that much more convenient for reducing the stops for fill ups, hence the overall time it takes to get to my destination.

Weight addition for me was a wash as time saved on trips was more important
This ^^. My beef with the 23 gallon tank I had in my previous truck was that I couldn’t even drive to work for more than 3 days before I needed to fill up. With the 33 gallon tank I can drive to work all 5 days, and fill up on the weekend. Which is much more convenient for me. And when I go on a long trip I don’t have to stop as often for fuel. Which makes for a faster trip. I’m also not eating as many snacks lol

It amuses me that anyone is so concerned about payload that they feel the need to argue about 6 pounds (64 vs 70 lbs.). I couldn’t care less about payload since I never tow or haul anything even close to what my truck is rated for. If I did I sure as heII wouldn’t have bought the fully loaded Limited I bought. Instead I probably would have been looking at quad cab 2wd Big Horns.

Last edited:

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This ^^. My beef with the 23 gallon tank I had in my previous truck was that I couldn’t even drive to work for more than 3 days before I needed to fill up. With the 33 gallon tank I can drive to work all 5 days, and fill up on the weekend. Which is much more convenient for me. And when I go on a long trip I don’t have to stop as often for fuel. Which makes for a faster trip. I’m also not eating as many snacks lol

It amuses me that anyone is so concerned about payload that they feel the need to argue about 6 pounds (64 vs 70 lbs.). I couldn’t care less about payload since I never tow or haul anything even close to what my truck is rated for. If I did I sure as heII wouldn’t have bought the fully loaded Limited I bought. Instead I probably would have been looking at quad cab 2wd Big Horns.
They have to sell 3.21s to someone, I suppose.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Technically the 23g tank (+21 lbs) actually reduces payload by 57 lbs since it is only paired with eTorque (-78 lbs)
"33 gallon fuel tank - 73 (91 if eTorque equipped)"

Do you know where these numbers came from? They're in the payload thread and a spreadsheet is referenced. Would be interested in seeing that data.

Mr.Grid

Reaction score
70 lbs isn't a non-factor.
Curious, have you had that new truck / trailer loaded and on a CAT scale? If so post the results.

CAT_Scale.jpg My truck is very similar to yours. Here it is fully loaded with a 6920# trailer and filled with fuel.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Curious, have you had that new truck / trailer loaded and on a CAT scale? If so post the results.

View attachment 120042 My truck is very similar to yours. Here it is fully loaded with a 6920# trailer and filled with fuel.
Only a quick baseline so far.

Weights:
Steer Axle: 3420
Drive Axle: 3420
Trailer Axle: 3720
Gross Weight: 10560

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
"33 gallon fuel tank - 73 (91 if eTorque equipped)"

Do you know where these numbers came from? They're in the payload thread and a spreadsheet is referenced. Would be interested in seeing that data.
Not sure, not my numbers.

That’s a problem when spreadsheets get posted, it’s easy for people take the numbers at face value and run

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure, not my numbers.

That’s a problem when spreadsheets get posted, it’s easy for people take the numbers at face value and run
Fair enough. The numbers are pretty close to what I found repeatedly, so was curious.

Either way, eTorque to eTorque should still be about a 70 lb hit going from 23 gallon to 33 gallon. Correct me if I'm wrong. It's getting late and my brain is starting to feel like tater salad.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If there are ANY drawbacks to the 33 gallon tank they come down to the weight of the fuel and the cost to fill the tank.

The solution is simple: just don't fuel all the way to full.

Like others, if they'd sold a matching additional 33 gallon tank for the other side of the truck, I'd have bought it.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I love the cost of fuel argument, because everyone knows that it's cheaper to buy 10 gallons twice than 20 gallons once, even after the fuel to pull into the station is factored in, doncha know!

BigD

Reaction score
My previous truck had the 23 gallon tank, and I hated it. It's a big part of why I upgraded my truck, and definitely wouldn't buy a truck with anything less than 33 gallons. And if you don't like filling the tank from empty, just fill it up before it gets to 1/4 tank. I have zero regrets about getting the 33 gallon tank, and love having 500 miles range with a Hemi.
Can u drive 500 miles without stopping to take a **** ?

BigD

Reaction score
I'd buy the truck with or without the big tank. Makes no difference to me. I buy whatever I can get a good deal on that's sitting on the lot ready to go. Just like the Ram boxes would've been cool to try out, but not too many BH with them on the lot. I'm not that picky. My biggest concern is getting the best price possible. I still can't believe how much these trucks are selling for now & people are still buying them ! I can't imagine paying MSRP for anything!!

Users who are viewing this thread