5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any Drawbacks to 33 Gallon Tank?

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Ok, let's say it's 70 pounds. Heck, a whopping 100 pounds. OK pretend you haul the absolute max payload everywhere you go every time you step in the truck. Yea, right. Now you're just being a specification nutball. Do you wear slippers instead of boots to lighten the load too?

If you did weigh every ounce and were petrified your sissy truck could not handle an extra Franklin of weight, just drive a couple miles. Loaded to the gills, you'll burn those gallons quick.

Hey, here's a tip, let that extra 50 pounds of air out of your spare tire to make up the difference! 😆🤣😂😅

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, let's say it's 70 pounds. Heck, a whopping 100 pounds. OK pretend you haul the absolute max payload everywhere you go every time you step in the truck. Yea, right. Now you're just being a specification nutball. Do you wear slippers instead of boots to lighten the load too?

If you did weigh every ounce and were petrified your sissy truck could not handle an extra Franklin of weight, just drive a couple miles. Loaded to the gills, you'll burn those gallons quick.

Hey, here's a tip, let that extra 50 pounds of air out of your spare tire to make up the difference! 😆🤣😂😅
We don't need to assume anything. It's 70 lbs. Not 60. Not 100. If you don't know, just say you don't know and move on.

Someday when your pops teaches you how to tow, you'll know why payload matters. 🍻

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Here's my drawback: It takes forever to fill, especially when you are at a busy gas station and the pumps slow down because they are all being used.
😵‍💫🥴😵‍💫 Really? Pssst.... (creepy Joe whisper) if you don't have time to fill it up, you don't have to....🤪

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
We don't need to assume anything. It's 70 lbs. Not 60. Not 100. If you don't know, just say you don't know and move on.

Someday when your pops teaches you how to tow, you'll know why payload matters. 🍻
Have you weighed a 23 gallon tank? Have you weighed a 33 gallon tank? They are irregular in shape. How do you know how much they weigh? Guessing?
You think you know how much the gas weighs. Are you using winter blend fuel? Summer? Ethanol or non? What temperature is the gas when you are weighing it? Any different additives? What?!? You don't know? You could be pounds off! Ounces! EVEN GRAMS! What will your "truck" do? Think of it. The horrors!

Did you drink a 12 ounce coffee before climbing in the cab? 20? Did you get a good drain on the bladder or did you still leave a bit in there? Careful!

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Have you weighed a 23 gallon tank? Have you weighed a 33 gallon tank? They are irregular in shape. How do you know how much they weigh? Guessing?
You think you know how much the gas weighs. Are you using winter blend fuel? Summer? Ethanol or non? Any different additives? What?!? You don't know? You could be pounds off! Ounces! EVEN GRAMS! What will your "truck" do? Think of it. The horrors!

Did you drink a 12 ounce coffee before climbing in the cab? 20? Did you get a good drain on the bladder or did you still leave a bit in there? Careful!
It's relatively simple math.

The only thing I don't know is why 23 gallon fuel tanks are a trigger for you. ;)

snowflake.png

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
It's relatively simple math.

The only thing I don't know is why 23 gallon fuel tanks are a trigger for you. ;)

View attachment 120003
I like the snowflake reference! Good one! 👍

Let's see that math. Work out all those variables to get to 70. For me it is 60 because that would be about what the gas weighs. I figured 100 for you for the "full factor". But lay out the numbers professor. 🤓

Maryland bowhunter

Reaction score
I wound up getting the 26 gallon tank after much deliberation of going with the upgraded 33 gallon tank (7 more gallons). I was on the fence for some time until I was speaking with my son who shared some of his 25 year old wisdom with me. He said Dad, how many times have you ever gone to the gas station and filled the tank all the way up? Suddenly, I realized I didn't need the extra 7 gallons with an upgraded 33 gallon tank. I am not prone to go on long trips with the new truck so my advise is to look at your past/current/and future use of the truck and if not getting the 33 gallon upgrade is within your driving habits you will know which way to go. Good luck.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I like the snowflake reference! Good one! 👍

Let's see that math. Work out all those variables to get to 70. For me it is 60 because that would be about what the gas weighs. I figured 100 for you for the "full factor". But lay out the numbers professor. 🤓
Thought you'd enjoy that. 🍻

I'm assuming that you (like Stellantis) use 89 like a woman, which weighs 6.2 lb/gal. The larger tank, supports, and hardware weigh about 8 lbs.

6.2 * 10 + 8 = 70

72 if you're using the Lord's octane rating.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I agree that you should get what works and not make silly excuses. But, you don't fill your tank up when you fuel up?

That needs to be a poll. I haven't done the $5 in the tank since high school.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Thought you'd enjoy that. 🍻

I'm assuming that you (like Stellantis) use 89 like a woman, which weighs 6.2 lb/gal. The larger tank, supports, and hardware weigh about 8 lbs.

6.2 * 10 + 8 = 70

72 if you're using the Lord's octane rating.
No, men use 87 like the engine was designed for. How do you get 8 pounds for the tank?

Lpsouth1978

Reaction score
SnowBLaZR2, I think you are putting WAY too much weight (pun intended) into the impact of a few extra pounds (yes 70 is a Minimal amount even when towing). That 70lbs can easily be made up with a few unneeded items being removed from the truck and/or trailer. do you really need that griddle plate or every pot in the trailer? How about all of the frozen foods? Could you replace some with freeze dried? Did you poop before getting in the truck? The list could go on for a LONG time!!

It is fine to say that you don't want the 33g tank, but to be so concerned about 70lbs is crazy! For many, myself included, having the extra 7 gallons is well worth the negligible loss in payload, and before you make any comments like "Someday when your pops teaches you how to tow, you'll know why payload matters" I would suggest you know your audience. You are FAR from the only one towing a TT, and I would bet MANY that do, chose to go for the larger tank for the many benefits it provides.

You do you, and let other do them, without acting like your way is the only way!

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
SnowBLaZR2, I think you are putting WAY too much weight (pun intended) into the impact of a few extra pounds (yes 70 is a Minimal amount even when towing). That 70lbs can easily be made up with a few unneeded items being removed from the truck and/or trailer. do you really need that griddle plate or every pot in the trailer? How about all of the frozen foods? Could you replace some with freeze dried? Did you poop before getting in the truck? The list could go on for a LONG time!!

It is fine to say that you don't want the 33g tank, but to be so concerned about 70lbs is crazy! For many, myself included, having the extra 7 gallons is well worth the negligible loss in payload, and before you make any comments like "Someday when your pops teaches you how to tow, you'll know why payload matters" I would suggest you know your audience. You are FAR from the only one towing a TT, and I would bet MANY that do, chose to go for the larger tank for the many benefits it provides.

You do you, and let other do them, without acting like your way is the only way!
My wife will be happy to find out that we don't need to go up to a 2500 if we decide to get a bigger 5th wheel someday.

As for me doing me, that's exactly what I was doing when I said the 23 gallon tank works for me. I haven't once even suggested anyone should do as I do.

Users who are viewing this thread