5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any Drawbacks to 33 Gallon Tank?

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The circular reference math does not exp.ain how you come up with the mystery 8 pounds for the tank......
It isn't circular. 70 is the anchor point. 70 lbs is the payload difference between a 23 gallon tank and a 33 gallon tank.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Huh.... you missed the range of part above that. I understand. Many here have comprehension issues and like burning cash. Literally since it is burning in the cylinders.
More likely, merely "satisfactory" isn't something that interests him.

Speaking of comprehension...

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It isn't circular. 70 is the anchor point. 70 lbs is the payload difference between a 23 gallon tank and a 33 gallon tank.
How do you get to 70 though? You said it is simple math. It is when the base point of 70 is just a made up number pulled from the backside! The only actual number you have is the weight of the gasoline.

It's not like you have 3:21 gears that will get bogged down by 60 pounds. I seriously doubt you count your payload down to the pound. If you do, get a life. It's not a Ford, it can handle it.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
How do you get to 70 though? You said it is simple math. It is when the base point of 70 is just a made up number pulled from the backside! The only actual number you have is the weight of the gasoline.

It's not like you have 3:21 gears that will get bogged down by 60 pounds. I seriously doubt you count your payload down to the pound. If you do, get a life. It's not a Ford, it can handle it.
The difference in payload between two trucks with the same options where one has a 33 gallon tank and one has a 23 gallon tank. Simple math. I suppose you also have to be able to do some basic research, too, so you got me there.

I don't count anything. I pull onto a scale, then...you guessed it, do some math.

Last edited:

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
The difference in payload between two trucks with the same options where one has a 33 gallon tank and one has a 23 gallon tank. Simple math. I suppose you also have to be able to do some basic research, too, so you got me there.

I don't count anything. I pull onto a scale, then...you guessed it, do some math.
So, pulled it out of the backside. Got it. Whatever you need to do to convince you. Its all good. 😏

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So, pulled it out of the backside. Got it. Whatever you need to do to convince you. Its all good. 😏
It's just finding numbers and doing stuff with those numbers. It might seem like magic, but it isn't.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s a known figure of +42.8 lbs for the old 32 gallon tank (6g * 6.3 = 37.8 lbs which means the tank itself is ~5 lbs)

42.8 + 6.3lbs (1g) = +49.1 lbs for the 33g (from 26g)

3g * 6.3 lbs = 18.9 lbs (for 23g)

49.1 lbs + 18.9 lbs = 68 lbs

So potentially it’s +2 lbs for 23g to 26g tank weight itself

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
It’s a known figure of +42.8 lbs for the old 32 gallon tank (6g * 6.3 = 37.8 lbs which means the tank itself is ~5 lbs)

42.8 + 6.3lbs (1g) = +49.1 lbs for the 33g (from 26g)

3g * 6.3 lbs = 18.9 lbs (for 23g)

49.1 lbs + 18.9 lbs = 68 lbs

So potentially it’s +2 lbs for 23g to 26g tank weight itself
Yea, you pulled the tanks and weighed them..
ive-noticed-you-pull-random-percentage-numbers-out-of-your-butt.jpg .

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
42.8lbs is a FCA provided weight

View attachment 120020
See, this is factual. Good post. What year did they use a 32 gallon?

Is it the same as today's 33? What is the weight of the stock 23 gallon tank? Trying to track down that simple math from Snowblazer.

And who's truck can't handle 60 extra pounds?

doolin64

Reaction score
70lbs...I could always leave a kid at home. Or when going with my friends choose to not let my oversized friend come and only take my buddy who's a twig.

33gallon tank was a cheap upgrade an no brainer here. But we have options and that's the great things about these trucks. Build em how you want them.

Anarki

Reaction score
My philosophy for going with a 33 gallon tank was this; I don't have to fill it up full every time I go to the station, but if I have to do a long trip, it is that much more convenient for reducing the stops for fill ups, hence the overall time it takes to get to my destination.

Weight addition for me was a wash as time saved on trips was more important

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
70lbs...I could always leave a kid at home. Or when going with my friends choose to not let my oversized friend come and only take my buddy who's a twig.

33gallon tank was a cheap upgrade an no brainer here. But we have options and that's the great things about these trucks. Build em how you want them.
I think what's missing is that it isn't just the 70 lbs for the fuel tank. That 70 lbs doesn't live in a vacuum. If I didn't care about payload, I'd have a loaded up Limited or TRX.

I do care about payload, and was shooting for about 1500 lbs for my needs. To get there in a truck I wanted, I had to trim some things I didn't need or that added no value for me. Since a 33 gallon tank is as useful to me as a 70 lb rock, that was the easiest thing to cut.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
See, this is factual. Good post. What year did they use a 32 gallon?

Is it the same as today's 33? What is the weight of the stock 23 gallon tank? Trying to track down that simple math from Snowblazer.

And who's truck can't handle 60 extra pounds?

42.8 lbs is the only known figure we have, the rest are educated estimates. The 32g tank was in the DS, I have not seen a similar DT weight spec chart with our 23g & 33g tanks.

Based on the fact that the 32g (+6g) tank is 5 lbs, it seems probable that a +3g difference between the 23g & 26g tanks would be ~2.5 lbs

@SnowBlaZR2 saying 70lbs is a very realistic number as I laid out my math above in post #110

Users who are viewing this thread