5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An Engineer's Ultimate Guide To 3.21 VS 3.92 Axle Ratio

Status
Not open for further replies.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Now that's funny when you consider the 3.92, lifts and big tires are meant to attract the attention of MEN. :p

Splat, right in his eye too!!

omg-oh-my-gosh.gif

Somebody get him a towel 😄

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am new to the 1/2 ton world. Initially bought 3.92 and didn’t like it because of my perception of no true overdrive gear. I know both have 8 speeds….. blah blah blah.

That perception is relative.

If you've been accustomed to passenger cars with their typical gearing, a truck with "work" axles could certainly seem like the engine is racing too fast. The reality is that our 1500's have *two* overdrive gears.

My history with pickup trucks includes Blue Ovals and BowTies that had 4.10 axles and *no* overdrive, so it doesn't bother me to hear an engine spinning at 3200 RPM or so for hours at a time. The extra "double overdrive" in our ZF transmissions makes it possible to have decent working axles and still drop engine speed almost to passenger car levels when lightly loaded.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That perception is relative.

If you've been accustomed to passenger cars with their typical gearing, a truck with "work" axles could certainly seem like the engine is racing too fast. The reality is that our 1500's have *two* overdrive gears.

My history with pickup trucks includes Blue Ovals and BowTies that had 4.10 axles and *no* overdrive, so it doesn't bother me to hear an engine spinning at 3200 RPM or so for hours at a time. The extra "double overdrive" in our ZF transmissions makes it possible to have decent working axles and still drop engine speed almost to passenger car levels when lightly loaded.

If these trucks were actually “work” trucks, then I would not worry about an overdrive gear. Im familiar with work trucks. I’m just learning the last several years about 1/2 tons. I get what you are trying to say, but again, ALL these are FAR from work trucks.

Thats been my whole argument all along. Since you can’t comfortably , and safely, haul and tow anything close to tow limits because the payload limitations AND the soft nature of these trucks, then I should at least get decent milage out of these weekend warrior trucks.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I guess I'm aging myself. I remember when two speed PowerGlide was the hot thing for the strip and three on the tree was just normal. TorqueFlites and HydraMatics were just for cushy luxury rides, too slippy and unreliable for everyday work.

I could say more along those lines, but this is still theoretically an axle ratio thread, so I'll skip to: If you choose the right axle ratio for the job, maybe you don't need to compensate with so many gears in the transmission.
I just don't see a lot of two speed powerglides ruling the street or strip these days. A Subaru would blow the doors off the old hoopdee with the two speed.

Even a slow *** Ram truck would take out the old timer. (Unless of course it has a 3.21 rear....)

Casull

Reaction score
You mean on gears that can't move a tire that fits on a stock Jeep? Yea, a 3.21 guy would have to say that. Excuses for poor decisions....

Will oversized tires make my truck go faster?
Umm, no they'll actually make it go slower.

Will oversized tires make my truck handle better?
Umm, no, they'll actually make it handle worse.

Will oversized tires attract the ladies?
Not really. But they will attract other men.

I'm going to make that a hard NO.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score

Like I said. Compensation!

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score

Umm, no. Pickups with a little N/A 5.7 don't go fast to begin with, no matter what tire you have.

Not on pavement. Pickup trucks are not really made to "handle". Might as well be cool. 😎 and have a little off road ability.

Yes, despite your obsession with attracting men, women are attracted to trucks, modified vehicles and men type stuff. Well at least attractive women that appreciate men. If you are hanging out at Pink Hat events or Swimming Matches, perhaps 3.21s and Prius tires would be the best choice.

Obsession with Hard again? Maybe the swim meet type is the right choice. Don't ask, don't tell!

Like I said. Compensation!
Yes, the compensation for poor choices is sad..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread