5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An Engineer's Ultimate Guide To 3.21 VS 3.92 Axle Ratio

Status
Not open for further replies.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
All of these 1/2 ton trucks are are made to be comfortable, soft and responsive. For those that say the 3.92 is a good heavy tow vehicle... Fake news. If you want a good heavy tow vehicle you need to be driving a 1 ton.

Deception.
For a good heavy tow vehicle, need to be driving a tractor trailer with your CDL license.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
All of these 1/2 ton trucks are are made to be comfortable, soft and responsive. For those that say the 3.92 is a good heavy tow vehicle... Fake news. If you want a good heavy tow vehicle you need to be driving a 1 ton.

Deception.

I sold my 2019 3500 SRW HO for my current 2020 1500. I didn't need the HD anymore, after I sold my 5th wheel. It costs alot to maintain and for the registration costs, at least in Kentucky. So my Pontoon and 12' cargo trailer (for my Harley) is easily pulled by my 1500, so I don't need the 3500, but it is heavy for the ability of the 1500 truck.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yeah and it sounds like you're talking about a 90's-2000's lincoln with a 4 speed, not a modern car with a modern 6, 7, 7 or 10 spd trans so not a valid comparison.
If you're driving a 4x4, stop crying about the mileage, you knew that when you bought it and your 4x4 is doing the same thing my 4x2 is 99% of the time

whyyoucrying-crying.gif
Touch a nerve there Half Truck? I'm not crying, 3.21ers justifying poor choices with hundreds of posts claiming a couple hundred rpm is costing soooo much.

But, rpms are rpms 2004 or 2024, still pistons going up and down.

Last edited:

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score

Deception.
Yep, 100%. It ain't about towing, it's about a decent running truck (complete truck 🤣).

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep, 100%. It ain't about towing, it's about a decent running truck (complete truck 🤣).

Not so sure about descent running truck for 3.92 vs 3.21. Complete truck 😬

Maybe have an argument for lifted big tire 1500 trucks. I have no experience there with the 1/2 tons. Many do it without complaint however.

I am new to the 1/2 ton world. Initially bought 3.92 and didn’t like it because of my perception of no true overdrive gear. I know both have 8 speeds….. blah blah blah.

So I ordered another 1500 and changed some of the things I didn’t like with the first truck:
3.21 vs 3.92
Long bed vs Baby bed
Non Etorque vs with Etorque
Non Rambox vs with

I do / have used both for everything from commuter, to hauling and towing. I found I like the 3.21 mo better. I know some disagree with my assessment, but the mileage claims are bigger than the hauling /towing claims IMO.

Owning either is still a good truck, not the end of the world. I just hate you have to wear tights, shave, and oil up drive a 3.92 truck. No, I will never forget and will always have that in my hip pocket. 😂

I just like to argue with 3.92 peeps... 🤣🤣🤣 Mostly very funny like yourself, others not so much.

I’m a self appointed BS monitor. 🫵

Cook on, my friend.

BowDown

Reaction score
Touch a nerve there Half Truck? I'm not crying, 3.21ers justifying poor choices with hundreds of posts claiming a couple hundred rpm is costing soooo much.

But, rpms are rpms 2004 or 2024, still pistons going up and down.

Lol, no and no need to justify my 3.21's. They do exactly as I ask, tow when I need to and get the best mpg possible when I need it to, they'll even pull your girlx4 out of a ditch when you get stuck 😄

Last edited:

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lol, no and no need to justify my 3.21's. They do exactly as I ask, tow when I need to and get the best mpg possible when I need it to, they'll even pull your girlx4 out of a ditch when you get stuck 😄

Thanks to the ZF transmission with 4 more gears than we needed, we can get away with either over or under gearing in the axles.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks to the ZF transmission with 4 more gears than we needed, we can get away with either over or under gearing in the axles.
You don't know how gear ratios work if you think there are more gears than needed

2021EcoDiesel

Reaction score
I should've checked the (3.55) box when ordering my truck. Potentially could've had the best of both worlds. Or the worst of both... Any 3.6 V6 guys in this thread wanna do an axle trade? we could swap 'em out in my driveway, I'll make sure there's plenty of beer in the cooler!

Sometimes I do miss my 4th gen. she was a CC 6'4" 4x4 HEMI *3.21* The exhaust definitely sounded a bit cooler than the 3.0 Diesel...

*Edited to add a photo of the old truck

Attachments

• IMG_0227.jpeg
    IMG_0227.jpeg
    179.7 KB · Views: 8

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You don't know how gear ratios work if you think there are more gears than needed
So far I haven't found a real need for 1, 3, or 5, and could probably do without 7 though it's convenient around town. My old Dakota has a 5-speed and I don't use 1 all the time. Occasionally skip 3, too. My wish list said 5 to 6 gears when I bought the BH, and worry a bit about the extra complexity of the 8-speed FCA put in it. Couldn't believe Ford went to 10-speed, that's just crazy. Keep it simple.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
So far I haven't found a real need for 1, 3, or 5, and could probably do without 7 though it's convenient around town. My old Dakota has a 5-speed and I don't use 1 all the time. Occasionally skip 3, too. My wish list said 5 to 6 gears when I bought the BH, and worry a bit about the extra complexity of the 8-speed FCA put in it. Couldn't believe Ford went to 10-speed, that's just crazy. Keep it simple.
Wow, I wish I had an 8 speed instead of 5 in my SRT.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wow, I wish I had an 8 speed instead of 5 in my SRT.

I guess I'm aging myself. I remember when two speed PowerGlide was the hot thing for the strip and three on the tree was just normal. TorqueFlites and HydraMatics were just for cushy luxury rides, too slippy and unreliable for everyday work.

I could say more along those lines, but this is still theoretically an axle ratio thread, so I'll skip to: If you choose the right axle ratio for the job, maybe you don't need to compensate with so many gears in the transmission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread