5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An Engineer's Ultimate Guide To 3.21 VS 3.92 Axle Ratio

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You're putting a lot of time in trying to convince us that you're OK with your choices. Seems a little insecure to me.

And I drink black label Jack unless it's something my wife gets me as a gift, but I wouldn't throw that out as "proof" that I don't drink mango frappes. You actually wanted the 3.21s. No amount of garbage whiskey will overcome that.
You're putting a lot of time in trying to convince us that you're OK with your choices. Seems a little insecure to me.

And I drink black label Jack unless it's something my wife gets me as a gift, but I wouldn't throw that out as "proof" that I don't drink mango frappes. You actually wanted the 3.21s. No amount of garbage whiskey will overcome that.
OK, I think we should switch the discussion from frappes and whiskey to the 3.21 and 3.92 thing. I have concluded we are not going to agree on whiskey cause Jack is some nasty sh**. I do have a legitimate question for you that might help someone out that is investigating what type of truck to buy and should they should get a 1500 with a 3.21 or 3.92, and maybe help me understand.
You bought your 1500 with the 3.92 because that is your towing truck and it is either towing or in the garage, I believe is what you said. That’s fine, I will get back to that in a bit.
When I bought my first 1500 in 2021, I traded my towing truck (2019 ram 3500 SRW 6.7) in for it for a 1500 truck on the lot. I traded it in because the CP4 fuel pumps were failing in the 6.7 and the entire fuel systems needed to be replaced if that happened along with leaving you stranded somewhere. There is a recall now but I didn’t want to wait for that, and deal with never getting fixed due to the parts shortage. All that to get to why I now have two 1500s.
I thought I could get a 1500 and do some light to moderate towing with the 1500, but also use it to zip around in. Use my 2500 for some or the heavier towing. So… I did a little investigating reading the 1500 pamphlet and building different trucks and reading what Ram said about the 3.21 vs 3.92. This is not verbatim, but Ram said some thing like this, the 3.21 is for efficiency and the 3.92 is for acceleration, pulling hills and towing. So… I’m like, I want to accelerate, pull hills, and tow, so 3.92 is a no brainer right?
Well, I found the 3.92 truck and bought it without getting on the highway for the test drive. What I quickly found out is that the 3.92 has No overdrive gear. I should have done some more research or got on a forum to learn more. What the pamphlet SHOULD say when talking about gearing 3.21 and 3.92, the 5.7 hemi engine is weak, if you want better acceleration, hill pulling with higher RPMs, YOU CAN GET THE 3.92 AND YOU WILL HAVE A $70,000 TRUCK WITH NO OVERRIDE GEAR. Or you can get the 3.21 WITH AN OVERRIDE GEAR AND USE THE TOW /HAUL BUTTON WHEN TOWING. If you don’t mind 2100 to 2200 RPMs at 75 mph, or don’t know how to use a tow haul button, get the 3.92.
I didn’t know this when I bought the 2021 1500. Yep stupid me, I was uniformed and had the hood pulled over my head by Ram. That is why I bought the second 1500 with the 3.21. I figured, I will just let my son drive the 3.92.
So if anyone out there is as ignorant as I was about the 3.21 and 3.92 and trying to figure things out, like I should have, now you know.
OK, back to my question to you. Why would you spend that much money on a tow vehicle that was bought just to tow a travel trailer, or sit in the garage, and you picked a 1500 with no override gear vs a 2500, or better yet 3500 SRW, for about the same money that can tow and haul more, AND has an override gear so you can run like a raped ape?

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
OK, I think we should switch the discussion from frappes and whiskey to the 3.21 and 3.92 thing. I have concluded we are not going to agree on whiskey cause Jack is some nasty sh**. I do have a legitimate question for you that might help someone out that is investigating what type of truck to buy and should they should get a 1500 with a 3.21 or 3.92, and maybe help me understand.
You bought your 1500 with the 3.92 because that is your towing truck and it is either towing or in the garage, I believe is what you said. That’s fine, I will get back to that in a bit.
When I bought my first 1500 in 2021, I traded my towing truck (2019 ram 3500 SRW 6.7) in for it for a 1500 truck on the lot. I traded it in because the CP4 fuel pumps were failing in the 6.7 and the entire fuel systems needed to be replaced if that happened along with leaving you stranded somewhere. There is a recall now but I didn’t want to wait for that, and deal with never getting fixed due to the parts shortage. All that to get to why I now have two 1500s.
I thought I could get a 1500 and do some light to moderate towing with the 1500, but also use it to zip around in. Use my 2500 for some or the heavier towing. So… I did a little investigating reading the 1500 pamphlet and building different trucks and reading what Ram said about the 3.21 vs 3.92. This is not verbatim, but Ram said some thing like this, the 3.21 is for efficiency and the 3.92 is for acceleration, pulling hills and towing. So… I’m like, I want to accelerate, pull hills, and tow, so 3.92 is a no brainer right?
Well, I found the 3.92 truck and bought it without getting on the highway for the test drive. What I quickly found out is that the 3.92 has No overdrive gear. I should have done some more research or got on a forum to learn more. What the pamphlet SHOULD say when talking about gearing 3.21 and 3.92, the 5.7 hemi engine is weak, if you want better acceleration, hill pulling with higher RPMs, YOU CAN GET THE 3.92 AND YOU WILL HAVE A $70,000 TRUCK WITH NO OVERRIDE GEAR. Or you can get the 3.21 WITH AN OVERRIDE GEAR AND USE THE TOW /HAUL BUTTON WHEN TOWING. If you don’t mind 2100 to 2200 RPMs at 75 mph, or don’t know how to use a tow haul button, get the 3.92.
I didn’t know this when I bought the 2021 1500. Yep stupid me, I was uniformed and had the hood pulled over my head by Ram. That is why I bought the second 1500 with the 3.21. I figured, I will just let my son drive the 3.92.
So if anyone out there is as ignorant as I was about the 3.21 and 3.92 and trying to figure things out, like I should have, now you know.
OK, back to my question to you. Why would you spend that much money on a tow vehicle that was bought just to tow a travel trailer, or sit in the garage, and you picked a 1500 with no override gear vs a 2500, or better yet 3500 SRW, for about the same money that can tow and haul more, AND has an override gear so you can run like a raped ape?
It's pretty simple. I didn't want a 2500, when I could get a 1500 with 3.92s that can actually tow something and do it well. Driving a SRW 3500 (wouldn't bother with a 2500 if I went HD) around downtown Atlanta, LA, or NYC would be annoying. Trying to find a decent place to park it would be worse.

Sorry you got tricked by a brochure and/or don't know anything about trucks, but that's why they sell 3.21s.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No overdrive gear? There are two overdrive gears in the 8-speed trans. Doesn't.mattwr what your rear gear set is. And FWIW, 10 years ago, 2000 RPM at 70mph was almost unheard of, even in OD with the 5-speed transmissions

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's pretty simple. I didn't want a 2500, when I could get a 1500 with 3.92s that can actually tow something and do it well. Driving a SRW 3500 (wouldn't bother with a 2500 if I went HD) around downtown Atlanta, LA, or NYC would be annoying. Trying to find a decent place to park it would be worse.

Sorry you got tricked by a brochure and/or don't know anything about trucks, but that's why they sell 3.21s.
You always act childish, and make no sense. You must be a pleasure to be around.
I have towed with a 1500, 2500 and 3500 and know a fair amount trucks. I have towed with a truck with 3.92 gears just like yours ( my truck ), and you are wrong about it when you say “with 3.92s that can actually tow something and do it well“. I know what towing well feels like, and a 1500 with the 5.7 and 3.92s ain’t it.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You always act childish, and make no sense. You must be a pleasure to be around.
I have towed with a 1500, 2500 and 3500 and know a fair amount trucks. I have towed with a truck with 3.92 gears just like yours ( my truck ), and you are wrong about it when you say “with 3.92s that can actually tow something and do it well“. I know what towing well feels like, and a 1500 with the 5.7 and 3.92s ain’t it.
You asked a stupid question and got what you got.

Why not a 2500...silly. I could just as easily ask you why you didn't get a Mini Cooper. That'd do just as well hauling your Jim Beam and mango rum.

And if you had issues towing with a 1500, it was you getting tricked by a brochure again, not the truck. Forgive me if I don't believe you know trucks that well if you bought one based on a brochure.

Oh, and as far as being fun to be around, I can guarantee we wouldn't like each other. Zero chance I'd hang around someone who gets snobby over Jim Beam.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You asked a stupid question and got what you got.

Why not a 2500...silly. I could just as easily ask you why you didn't get a Mini Cooper. That'd do just as well hauling your Jim Beam and mango rum.

And if you had issues towing with a 1500, it was you getting tricked by a brochure again, not the truck. Forgive me if I don't believe you know trucks that well if you bought one based on a brochure.
Ok I forgive you. It has been a long time since I’ve had a 1500. I have driven 1 tons for a long time, and with the 360 degree cameras it has removed the *** pain when parking. It is a non event now, just a little longer if you have the short bed 1500 and don’t have an 8 ft bed 1 ton.
Yep, I think I made a mistake ( others, along with yourself feel differently and that’s OK ) when I bought my first 3.92 1500. I am secure enough, and I don’t mind admitting my mistake. I’m confident it won’t be my last. The only reason I mentioned it was to hopefully help others that are wanting to learn about these trucks BEFORE they buy or order. There has already been comments on my comments of no overdrive gear on the 3.92. This comment is for them. I’m going to keep it really simple, If you want to turn 2150 RPMs on your last gear at 75 mph get a 3.92. If you would rather turn 1750 RPMs at 75 mph on your last gear, get a 3.21.
If I run in to you somewhere, first whiskey is on me.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have driven 1 tons for a long time, and with the 360 degree cameras it has removed the *** pain when parking. It is a non event now, just a little longer if you have the short bed 1500 and don’t have an 8 ft bed 1 ton.
This is why you think you know what "towing well" feels like. Towing lawnmowers and four wheelers with a 3500 isn't towing well. It's towing easy. That's fine, but it isn't necessary.

I just have to laugh at the idea of buying a 3500 for my 4k lb camper when I could just get the man gears for my 1500 and be good.

If I run in to you somewhere, first whiskey is on me.

Better not be Jim Beam. :LOL:

🍻

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is why you think you know what "towing well" feels like. Towing lawnmowers and four wheelers with a 3500 isn't towing well. It's towing easy. That's fine, but it isn't necessary.

I just have to laugh at the idea of buying a 3500 for my 4k lb camper when I could just get the man gears for my 1500 and be good.

Better not be Jim Beam. :LOL:

🍻
Ok I lied, Jack ain’t bad, it’s a Kentucky, Tennessee thing, sorry. I can respect a Jack drinker. Glad you didn’t say Pappy.
I’ll buy a bottle, I will slam it down on small round wooden table with some wooden rickety chairs and we will just have 2 whiskey glasses and drink that some ***** and talk something other than trucks.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ok I lied, Jack ain’t bad, it’s a Kentucky, Tennessee thing, sorry. I can respect a Jack drinker. Glad you didn’t say Pappy.
I’ll buy a bottle, I will slam it down on small round wooden table with some wooden rickety chairs and we will just have 2 whiskey glasses and drink that some ***** and talk something other than trucks.
Sounds good.

We could talk about something without controversy, like Glocks and 1911s. :cool:

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
The goal for me was to get the best mpg possible cause I tow once every 3 years, and the hemi does it just fine, even with the highway gear. If I had a camper or huge boat I would’ve picked differently. Even my Colorado with the i5 and 3.05 gears towed well, so I wasn’t worried about the hemi with 3.21s.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Especially if you have a range to hit too!
deal-dave-chappelle.gif

Users who are viewing this thread