5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An Engineer's Ultimate Guide To 3.21 VS 3.92 Axle Ratio

Status
Not open for further replies.

m.hamner

Reaction score
I need whatever he's putting in his truck lol.
It's literally stock. After driving it, I was like "hmmm, maybe I don't need the 3.92's. Maybe the 8speed V8 Hemi is going to be more than enough for me." We'll find out. We're gonna do some A/B comparisons on each other's trucks when I get mine. Should be fun. Exact same config and year with the only difference being the axles.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What we’ve learned is the 3.92 owners only know how to beat their chest and scream from the mountain top their truck is best truck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's 0.71 better.

giphy.gif

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's literally stock. After driving it, I was like "hmmm, maybe I don't need the 3.92's. Maybe the 8speed V8 Hemi is going to be more than enough for me." We'll find out. We're gonna do some A/B comparisons on each other's trucks when I get mine. Should be fun. Exact same config and year with the only difference being the axles.
Decent fuel economy? Acceleration with traction?

Maybe I actually got 3.21s installed lol.

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Maybe his tires suck? In all "seriousness" for a second, I'm totally happy with the 3.21. I think the truck has plenty of power, especially considering that I drive not in a hurry everywhere I go. Now, if I was doing significant towing I'd have a different opinion, but just driving the truck day to day, I don't think there's a significant gain for me to have "justified" 3.92's. I mean, I'm not in the habit of cutting people off, but I don't think these trucks have real issues getting up to speed.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe his tires suck? In all "seriousness" for a second, I'm totally happy with the 3.21. I think the truck has plenty of power, especially considering that I drive not in a hurry everywhere I go. Now, if I was doing significant towing I'd have a different opinion, but just driving the truck day to day, I don't think there's a significant gain for me to have "justified" 3.92's. I mean, I'm not in the habit of cutting people off, but I don't think these trucks have real issues getting up to speed.
Yep. I think the "you must drive slow if you like 3.21s" talk is as silly as "you must hate gas if you like 3.92s."

20.2 MPG is good enough for me. Sure as heck beats the 13.2 MPG I'd get in my 6.2 Denali (3.42s) lol.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What we’ve learned is the 3.92 owners only know how to beat their chest and scream from the mountain top their truck is best truck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We have also learned the 3.21 guys have to beat thier chest about how much better the fuel economy is to try and justify the castration they gave the truck putting those gear in it. :p

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
We have also learned the 3.21 guys have to beat thier chest about how much better the fuel economy is to try and justify the castration they gave the truck putting those gear in it. :p

That's what I'd tell myself too:rolleyes:
Strange that all the poor fuel mileage complaint threads are 3:92 trucks and of the ones getting good mpg, they leave out the fact that they're only getting that while driving 65-67 mph.
Meanwhile there's 100's of threads of 3.21 owners complaining about how slow the truck is....

Oh wait.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That's what I'd tell myself too:rolleyes:
Strange that all the poor fuel mileage complaint threads are 3:92 trucks and of the ones getting good mpg, they leave out the fact that they're only getting that while driving 65-67 mph.
Meanwhile there's 100's of threads of 3.21 owners complaining about how slow the truck is....

Oh wait.
Plenty of poor gas mileage posts from 3.21 owners as well.

No complaints about gas mileage or speed here

The Hound 2021

Reaction score
So, your saying that you have had no fun in the last 19 hours of your truck? No tire chirping, no 'wot', no f'in with guys in a Prius?
Ok, you do you, 3.92 rules!

who said i didnt do any of that? that trip was when i learned there was a speed limiter around 100. And ive posted a few burnout and WOT vids on here :)
@RIRamGuy what makes you think he didn't do any of this?

On his trip in the Rockies he found:
1. Bald tires on ice can do a mean burnout even with 3:21s.
2. Find the Prius when it is out of gas and 100 miles from charging station and the ol' 3:21 gears really shine. That little Yoda didn't stand a chance.
3. You get rolling good down Pike's Peak with a strong tailwind and you can find the limiter on a Ram with 3:21 gears.

😄

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think the 20-21mpg is pretty good for my 3.21's considering all I have on my Limited and I think it has plenty of power too. No regrets and that's the fun of choices. We'll see what mileage might look like once it gets some miles on it but at the end of the day it's a truck.

The Hound 2021

Reaction score
I think the 20-21mpg is pretty good for my 3.21's considering all I have on my Limited and I think it has plenty of power too. No regrets and that's the fun of choices. We'll see what mileage might look like once it gets some miles on it but at the end of the day it's a truck.
Well, at least you got the right sized gas tank. 😆🤣😂🤣😅😄 yea, I went there......😏

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread