5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An Engineer's Ultimate Guide To 3.21 VS 3.92 Axle Ratio

Status
Not open for further replies.

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey that's great! I just read through your signature. You ordered this back in June of last year? Wow, that has been one heck of a wait! Have they told you it is in? You have to get some pics up in a thread. Yea, don't worry, the gears you got won't show in the pics! Ha! Interested to see the color combo you list. Should be cool.
Yep, close to 8 months (which is being dramatic since I ordered long before production started). I got some pictures sent to me earlier today.
Post in thread 'Mark Dodge Thread' https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/mark-dodge-thread.35764/post-583191

Max Steel is hard to get right in pics but it typically looks darker and more manly with 3.21 gears.

mtbiker033

Reaction score
Good thing your washer fluid is low, otherwise the 3.21 might have struggled with the additional weight
it was low from driving through 4 states in winter but yah :rollseyes:
He was going downhill both ways.
i wish
I see RAM has introduced some new rear end gearsets: .321 and 3:21 (that is, .143). Now those are some seriously tall gears!! Is this RAM's answer to the EV insanity???
typo
.321 gears get 452 mpg too.
hilarious
thought some real data form a 3.21 limited would be appreciated on here, guess not

AMS Guru

AMS Guru, Ram Guru-ish
Reaction score
People actual order trucks with 3:21 gears? I just though those were for people who didn't read the specs.
With the cost of freaking fuel right now I miss the additional 5+ MPG I was getting with 3.21 gears overall. That being said the 3.92's in my current truck are far less sensitive to driving style and towing than the 3.21's. For a daily driver (40K miles/yr) I'd take back my 3.21's in a heartbeat

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I picked my truck up earlier. It took me about 2.1 miles to get up to speed onto the interstate because of the gears. After that I did some break in then filled up and decided to check my mileage. It did pretty good over a couple hundred miles on the interstate. Hopefully I can get back up to 70mph tomorrow. Any pro tips?

Attachments

• PXL_20220222_052310307.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220222_052310307.MP.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 35

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
So I picked my truck up earlier. It took me about 2.1 miles to get up to speed onto the interstate because of the gears. After that I did some break in then filled up and decided to check my mileage. It did pretty good over a couple hundred miles on the interstate. Hopefully I can get back up to 70mph tomorrow. Any pro tips?
Not sure what the break in period or procedure is (bought my truck used), but keeping it below 60 and setting the cruise is the sweet spot for me. Usually no mds, but I usually get 21 to 25 mpg in that range. If I do a lot of city driving avg will be more like 18.

BluegrassMotorsport

Reaction score
Mom bought a Wagoneer last week which is a heavy son of a gun and it gets way better mileage than my Ram with the 3.92. Oh well. My Ram is still fun. But that Wagoneer is no slouch, either.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
drove just over 1,000 miles, 500 miles out and back, some load on the truck on the way back (bed and back seat full of personal items, parked when I got there and took the exact same route the next morning back home averaged 21.0. This is with a .321 geared limited.

Same mpg as my 3.92

2E9866BB-ED5E-4181-8C0B-0D8E6763F6AF.jpeg

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You might want to choose on ramps that are downhill. :p

The Hound 2021

Reaction score
Yea, well with 3:21 gears I'm afraid your best bet is to just find a steep downhill grade.

Haha! Posted the same time as Beagle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread