5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An Engineer's Ultimate Guide To 3.21 VS 3.92 Axle Ratio

Status
Not open for further replies.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
3/10s added means the intake gave you close to 30hp.

They should really market that it does that good!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BowDown

Reaction score
3/10s added means the intake gave you close to 30hp.

They should really market that it does that good!!

It'd be more than that, 10 hp per tenth is based on a 1/4 mile run. To pickup 3ths in a 0-60 mph pull, say 400-550', you'd need a lot more than 30 hp increase

BowDown

Reaction score
Not saying it isn't. Just saying your test isnt any more accurate. Not saying others could reproduce my results. Maybe it was a fluke, but three back to back runs with Vararam resulted in all three being quicker times than anything I got on stock intake. You obviously don't feel it's accurate. Just like I don't feel your testing of two different trucks at different days and times is an accurate comparison for saying which gear set is better.
Ok :LOL:

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Hulu is so much better than Netflix. Wait what were we talking about?
I think we were talking about the shame 3:21 guys feel for poor choice when buying a truck. Then realizing the lack of knowledge corresponds with the lack of manhood.

I know, the 3:21 guys secretly just need to be held by Bob and crushed against his giant man boobs. Alas, it can no longer be R.I.P. Meatloaf.....😪 Just remember the first rule of Fight Club....

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Imagine a world where people deliberately choose 3.21 gears knowing they aren’t going to bro dozer out their truck that will never see hard core off-road and that ratio works perfectly for them.

It’s almost like ram realized this that’s why they offered two options.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Imagine a world where people deliberately choose 3.21 gears knowing they aren’t going to bro dozer out their truck that will never see hard core off-road and that ratio works perfectly for them.

Oh Lord! A world of Berkenstock wearing, sandalwood smelling, neckbearded, girlie men running around in Ram trucks with 3:21 gears to get their veggie smoothies. I can see the love beads hanging from the mirror with giant clouds of vape "smoke" wafting out the windows now.

It's just ruining what pickup trucks are. Sad day.....

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Nah if you have 3.21’s you show and grow without fear because your manhood is well endowed. Don’t need to prove anything. 3.92’s are trying to make up for small manhood. 🤭

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Nah if you have 3.21’s you show and grow without fear because your manhood is well endowed. Don’t need to prove anything. 3.92’s are trying to make up for small manhood. 🤭
That's just what 3.21 owners say to try and cover up their own inadequacies

Scram1500

Reaction score
Actually, I had to get a 3.92 just for hauling around my wedding tackle. I couldn't even get a higher trim as I need the payload for the meat and two veg

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Oh Lord! A world of Berkenstock wearing, sandalwood smelling, neckbearded, girlie men running around in Ram trucks with 3:21 gears to get their veggie smoothies. I can see the love beads hanging from the mirror with giant clouds of vape "smoke" wafting out the windows now.

It's just ruining what pickup trucks are. Sad day.....

Better than your white new balance sneakers with knee high white socks!

nicknik

Reaction score
Maybe this was already addressed but does anyone know the Torque Converter Stall Speed for the 3.92? Or where to find it? (Not a gear head so sorry if this doesn't make sense)

BowDown

Reaction score
Maybe this was already addressed but does anyone know the Torque Converter Stall Speed for the 3.92? Or where to find it? (Not a gear head so sorry if this doesn't make sense)

The same as the converter is the same. Rear gear doesn't impact stall, that's strictly the convertor and to a lesser degree cam timing. The flash rpm of the convertor may be a bit lower with a 3:92 gear because part of what creates the stall is converter load and a 3:92 gear will put slightly less load on the convertor than a 3:21 would, so a slightly lower flash rpm vs a 3:21 gear.

Converter flash is that couple extra hundred RPM that you see after the initial stall speed when you release the brake. To easier see converter flash, stall out the truck with the foot brake and note the rpm that creep starts, now release the brake and watch the tach jump a 2-300 rpm more before the vehicle moves.
Another way to see flash is to not load the converter, keep your foot lightly on the brake and the other touching the accelerator pedal but not applying pressure, no stall.
When the light changes (obviously do this in a no traffic area) release the brake and go WOT on the accelerator while watching the tach and you'll see that it "flashes" to a higher rpm before the vehicles starts to move.

Last edited:
Reaction score

Exactly - not to mention, a new Ram with 3.21s will still outpull 90% of half-ton trucks built in the last 30 years and get better gas mileage doing it.

TNRamGuy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The same as the converter is the same. Rear gear doesn't impact stall, that's strictly the convertor and to a lesser degree cam timing. The flash rpm of the convertor may be a bit lower with a 3:92 gear because part of what creates the stall is converter load and a 3:92 gear will put slightly less load on the convertor than a 3:21 would, so a slightly lower flash rpm vs a 3:21 gear.

Converter flash is that couple extra hundred RPM that you see after the initial stall speed when you release the brake. To easier see converter flash, stall out the truck with the foot brake and note the rpm that creep starts, now release the brake and watch the tach jump a 2-300 rpm more before the vehicle moves.
Another way to see flash is to not load the converter, keep your foot lightly on the brake and the other touching the accelerator pedal but not applying pressure, no stall.
When the light changes (obviously do this in a no traffic area) release the brake and go WOT on the accelerator while watching the tach and you'll see that it "flashes" to a higher rpm before the vehicles starts to move.
This might be the first useful post in the past 20 pages. :geek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread