5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An Engineer's Ultimate Guide To 3.21 VS 3.92 Axle Ratio

Status
Not open for further replies.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I guess when you only like it on Friday nights with the lights off, you are perfectly happy only doing missionary and not having any other variety. You probably think going 2moh over speed limit is exhilarating as well.

Lol, keep trying. 🤣
Speed limit? I can cruise at 80 mph and get the fuel mileage you get at 68 mph. 😅

This truck isn't fast or quick and no iteration of it will ever be fast or quick. It's a slow luxury (for me) truck. On the days I want fast, I get in something fast and this truck ain't it, not even close.
Not with 3:92's, not with a supercharger, not with a supercharger and nitrous, it ain't fast and never will be. Anyone thinking 3:92 gears are turning this truck into speedy gonzales is crazy and would likley still get passed by a 3:21 geared truck before 70 mph

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lol, keep trying. 🤣
Speed limit? I can cruise at 80 mph and get the fuel mileage you get at 68 mph. 😅

This truck isn't fast or quick and no iteration of it will ever be fast or quick. It's a slow luxury (for me) truck. On the days I want fast, I get in something fast and this truck ain't it, not even close.
Not with 3:92's, not with a supercharger, not with a supercharger and nitrous, it ain't fast and never will be. Anyone thinking 3:92 gears are turning this truck into speedy gonzales is crazy and would likley still get passed by a 3:21 geared truck before 70 mph
"Not with a supercharger and nitrous"

How about with this…

Shockwave-4-compressor.jpg

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Lol, keep trying. 🤣

When did I ever claim to be fast? Now you just spewing garbage to try and feel better about your inadequacy. And ain't no 3.21 truck passing me at any speed unless I'm feeling sorry for them and allow them to. Any advantage the 3.21 truck would have doesn't hit till 8th gear and speed limiter kicks in well before you get close to shifting into 8th.

BowDown

Reaction score
When did I ever claim to be fast? Now you just spewing garbage to try and feel better about your inadequacy. And ain't no 3.21 truck passing me at any speed unless I'm feeling sorry for them and allow them to. Any advantage the 3.21 truck would have doesn't hit till 8th gear and speed limiter kicks in well before you get close to shifting into 8th.

Thats thew whole premise of the 3:92 guys, its sportier, it can tow better, its quicker. Thats also been said through the last 5 pages, come-on man.
And yeah, a 3.21 truck would easily drive around you, whether you wanted it to or not

Louhound88

Reaction score
So honest question, has anyone driven both a 3.92 and 3.21 to feel the off-the-line comparison? My truck has 3.21 gears and feels torquey off the line, but in 2wd it just spins and goes into traction control before it does much. 4wd auto and a warmed up engine and it feels pretty quick without any spin at all. Well some I guess but it just pulls you out of it. I'm curious how much different the 3.92 feels off the line.

At the same time, I have 8th gear but like it's been said before I'm hitting 108 in 6th if I push it. I've gone into eco mode in 8th at 95mph, so unless you can remove speed limiter the higher gear doesn't seem to do too much good. Hitting the speed limiter while wide open is like having a bungie cord attached to your rear bumper, you just get yanked bank and your gas pedal gets taken away from you.

BowDown

Reaction score
So honest question, has anyone driven both a 3.92 and 3.21 to feel the off-the-line comparison? My truck has 3.21 gears and feels torquey off the line, but in 2wd it just spins and goes into traction control before it does much. 4wd auto and a warmed up engine and it feels pretty quick without any spin at all. Well some I guess but it just pulls you out of it. I'm curious how much different the 3.92 feels off the line.

At the same time, I have 8th gear but like it's been said before I'm hitting 108 in 6th if I push it. I've gone into eco mode in 8th at 95mph, so unless you can remove speed limiter the higher gear doesn't seem to do too much good. Hitting the speed limiter while wide open is like having a bungie cord attached to your rear bumper, you just get yanked bank and your gas pedal gets taken away from you.

I have, I didn't feel enough difference to go with 3:92.
I owned a gen 3 3:92 truck for 277k miles and granted it wasn't a VVT engine, that truck felt lazy compared to my current truck; I had both trucks for about a month before I sold the Gen 3.

My wife's car was in the shop for minor paint work and enterprise gave me a 2019 for week, that truck also felt stronger than my gen 3 3:92 truck and sold me on going to the 3:21 due to it's performance being superior and the fuel mileage.

I had a Laramie 3:92 truck for a couple days in Houston, it also felt much stronger than my 3:92 truck. What I didn't like was how the gears didn't keep it in peak power very long and I didn't see a significant improvement in acceleration over the 3:21 truck using race render, I think .010 to 60 mph.

Race render is an HP tuners app is used with phone cameras that superimposes time and speed over a distance on the cameras video. I use it in my car but tested these trucks with it because initially, I was hesitant about getting the 3.21 gear. The results completely alleviated my concerns with the 3:21

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I owned a gen 3 3:92 truck for 277k miles and granted it wasn't a VVT engine, that truck felt lazy compared to my current truck; I had both trucks for about a month before I sold the Gen 3.

My wife's car was in the shop for minor paint work and enterprise gave me a 2019 for week, that truck also felt stronger than my gen 3 3:92 truck and sold me on going to the 3:21 due to it's performance being superior and the fuel mileage.

I had a Laramie 3:92 truck for a couple days in Houston, it also felt much stronger than my 3:92 truck. What I didn't like was how the gears didn't keep it in peak power very long and I didn't see a significant improvement in acceleration over the 3:21 truck using race render, I think .010 to 60 mph.

Race render is an HP tuners app is used with a GoPro type cameras that superimposes time and speed over a distance on the cameras video. I use it in my car but tested these trucks with it because initially, I was hesitant about getting the 3.21 gear. The results completely alleviated my concerns with the 3:21

It only makes sense that the 5th gen would feel stronger than your 3rd gen. Different transmission, and engine is rated for higher HP/torque.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thats thew whole premise of the 3:92 guys, its sportier, it can tow better, its quicker. Thats also been said through the last 5 pages, come-on man.
And yeah, a 3.21 truck would easily drive around you, whether you wanted it to or not
Quicker yes, you can't change the laws of physics no matter how hard you try to spin it. As for driving around me, as said before, only if I allowed it. Once again, physics works the same.

BowDown

Reaction score
Quicker yes, you can't change the laws of physics no matter how hard you try to spin it. As for driving around me, as said before, only if I allowed it. Once again, physics works the same.

As long as you believe that and it makes you happy. The 3:92 truck has too much gear above about 45 mph, my race render app has validated that so you believe whatever you like.

Louhound88

Reaction score

Race render is an HP tuners app is used with phone cameras that superimposes time and speed over a distance on the cameras video. I use it in my car but tested these trucks with it because initially, I was hesitant about getting the 3.21 gear. The results completely alleviated my concerns with the 3:21

Appreciate the response.

I may have to try that app out. In the past i've video'd myself running 0-60mph then did timestamps with a video editor. I've had some pretty "quick" times with stock wheels, and only slightly worse (0.5 second so maybe not so slight) 0-60 now with 35" tires.

BowDown

Reaction score
Ah, my 3.21... so much better...😆

I don't think either gear is "better", its just what you're doing with the truck. I don't tow enough to take the mpg hit the 3:92 would deliver nor do I have or want a lifted truck with 35"+ tires.
I don't think there's enough acceleration performance between the 2 to say F that, I want the 3:92's. If I had a lifted 4x4 with 35's, yeah, Id get the 3:92's. My truck tows my car on an open trailer just fine so no needs there.

Maybe if this was the only vehicle I had and wanted it to be as performance oriented as possible, I may have gone that route again but I have a 700+ HP Z06 and after 2-3 hours in it, I have no interest in this truck being loud or going fast in this truck: everything is slow after driving that car so why bother

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread