5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An Engineer's Ultimate Guide To 3.21 VS 3.92 Axle Ratio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
A gen5 ram? Yeah they are all capped at 105 unless it’s tuned.

Unless you have very different tire sizes that’s throwing off your Speedo.

Something to do with the driveshafts is why they capped them. Not so much the tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mine is. Just flat out died when it got a little over 100. I was watching the road harder than the speedo but it was right there.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
We're I'm at, I'm faster than 90% of the vehicles on the road. It's all overweight, underpowered mid and full-size SUV's and other pickups, lots of em HD's and/or diesels. Some 4-banger coups and sedans and other things that's can't keep up, especially passed 70, and then the occasional X5, Camaro, or Mustang that would smoke me.

I never thought about that though. How what kinds of vehicles people have in your area would affect your perception of how fast you are.
The diesel trucks are probably faster than you as well. They just don't feel the need to flex as much, unless they are the jacked up mall crawlers with big wheels and street tires who think rolling coal increases the size of their penis.

The times I have been to the track with my truck, the only other full size trucks running faster times have been diesels.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
A gen5 ram? Yeah they are all capped at 105 unless it’s tuned.

Unless you have very different tire sizes that’s throwing off your Speedo.

Something to do with the driveshafts is why they capped them. Not so much the tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have a TRX (still a 5th Gen). The factory sets the governor at 118 on them. Maybe the engine speeds are the same though, since the TRX comes with 35” tires.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The diesel trucks are probably faster than you as well. They just don't feel the need to flex as much, unless they are the jacked up mall crawlers with big wheels and street tires who think rolling coal increases the size of their penis.

The times I have been to the track with my truck, the only other full size trucks running faster times have been diesels.
I know the 2500 turbo diesel gets moving pretty good, haven't really researched the others too much but I doubt the HD's would be. I'm pretty sure the Ford Powerstroke is not, unsure about others. And then of course the newer F-150s and 6.2 Chevys/GMCs would get me. But there's actually very few of those around my area.

I know there's certain full size SUV's in certain trims that are pretty fast, like I think a specific configuration of Explorer is a 6-second car.

I was talking more about how it's actually a really small percentage of vehicles that would straight up eat my lunch. Beemers, AMG's, obvious ones like Porches and Corvettes.

So if you were in a pretty upscale area with lots of highways nearby, I imagine you'd see a lot more vehicles like that and feel like a clunker on average. For every vehicle I'm near at any given time that could dust me, there's 5 I would dust, and 5 I would force behind me pretty comfortably. Like @Idahoktm said, for a big @$$ truck, I'll take it.

BowDown

Reaction score
I don’t want 3.92 because its so fast id get to work early. No one wants that. 🤷🏻‍♂️

No it wouldn't, it'd just use more gas getting there because of those useless truck nuts. I mean 3.92 gears. I mean truck nuts

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No it wouldn't, it'd just use more gas getting there because of those useless truck nuts. I mean 3.92 gears. I mean truck nuts
But if you didn’t have those, how would everyone know you’re the manliest man that ever manned the earth?

BowDown

Reaction score
But if you didn’t have those, how would everyone know you’re the manliest man that ever manned the earth?

From what I've heard, they can still identify themselves with the I have a small pee pee double secret handshake, same as the lifted diesel mall guys.

Redfour5

Reaction score
From what I've heard, they can still identify themselves with the I have a small pee pee double secret handshake, same as the lifted diesel mall guys.
Well, I've noted before... "Deep too..."

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score

It doesn't take much to add beef to a diesel. Mine was pre-emissions but all you've got to do is chip/program it and you're off to the races. Granted you've got to beef up the drivetrain if you want it to last but a lot of kids don't care.

For mine you could add about 40 Hp with just a chip (old Ford Powerstroke). The injectors didn't have a lot of extra capacity so that's where you were capped at for a stock engine (no common rail). Nowadays things are more locked down and you don't have that luxury but "back in the day" you could drop a 140 Hp tune on your common rail truck, delete your DPF, "roll coal", and turn some heads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread