5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An Engineer's Ultimate Guide To 3.21 VS 3.92 Axle Ratio

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I really am confused why we're talking about drag racing trucks. It's like drag racing minivans 😝
Isn't the Sienna the fastest production minivan and it's 0-60 is 7 seconds?

Hemi Ram's are 6.4 seconds no? I realize that most coupes and some sedans will be beating us pretty handily but I refuse to believe that we can't outrun a minivan…

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My wife's EcoBoost Ranger in sport mode could easily take me in a straight line...but at the end of the day it's still a Ranger.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'd just shallow stage to get a jump on the light. The 3.92 truck will tach out in 8th (my 7th) so I'll have an "extra gear" and run them down at the end and take the line by a bumper with the higher trap speed. :cool: :p
The top speed is capped at 105, which can be reached in 5th gear, even with a 3.92. 8th or 7th won't come into play

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The top speed is capped at 105, which can be reached in 5th gear, even with a 3.92. 8th or 7th won't come into play
You couldn't give me one day to dream!

You've crushed my dreams of being king of the gear mountain. 😢

I'll stick with "putting ketchup on my cheeseburger" as people blow by me. I'll end up passing them down the road when the cop pulls them over for testing their speed limiter. (y)

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Is that true? Capped at 105? Mine is capped at 118, I just assumed they were all set the same.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm just not living in a world where a 6.4 second 0-60 is fast. I mean that's "hold the steering wheel while I put ketchup on my cheeseburger" acceleration. 😉

Not to mention it's more like 12 seconds for those of us with 3.21 gears. 😝
More time to enjoy your truck! :)

Scram1500

Reaction score
Is that true? Capped at 105? Mine is capped at 118, I just assumed they were all set the same.
105 is the limit, beyond that most truck tires start to come apart. The TRX has special tires rated to handle the 118 limit

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm just not living in a world where a 6.4 second 0-60 is fast. I mean that's "hold the steering wheel while I put ketchup on my cheeseburger" acceleration. 😉

Not to mention it's more like 12 seconds for those of us with 3.21 gears. 😝
We're I'm at, I'm faster than 90% of the vehicles on the road. It's all overweight, underpowered mid and full-size SUV's and other pickups, lots of em HD's and/or diesels. Some 4-banger coups and sedans and other things that's can't keep up, especially passed 70, and then the occasional X5, Camaro, or Mustang that would smoke me.

I never thought about that though. How what kinds of vehicles people have in your area would affect your perception of how fast you are.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
We're I'm at, I'm faster than 90% of the vehicles on the road. It's all overweight, underpowered mid and full-size SUV's and other pickups, lots of em HD's and/or diesels. Some 4-banger coups and sedans and other things that's can't keep up, especially passed 70, and then the occasional X5, Camaro, or Mustang that would smoke me.

I never thought about that though. How what kinds of vehicles people have in your area would affect your perception of how fast you are.
Yep. They are pretty quick for a big, heavy truck. If you're trying to out accelerate someone, just know your competition.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
It's just the 3:21 guys that come on saying "It's a truck, it's not fast", "Why would anyone think a truck is fast?", "If you wanted fast you should have gotten a challenger" etc. Well, I have a pretty fast Town Car too. Yea, the TC and the truck will get eaten alive by a Hellcat or a Mustang with a 5.0 Coyote in it but like @AngelPhoenix said, it's faster than most.

At least I'm not as slow as the guy behind me with 3:21 gears! 🤣😂😅😆

ferraiolo1

Reaction score

A gen5 ram? Yeah they are all capped at 105 unless it’s tuned.

Unless you have very different tire sizes that’s throwing off your Speedo.

Something to do with the driveshafts is why they capped them. Not so much the tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread