5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An Engineer's Ultimate Guide To 3.21 VS 3.92 Axle Ratio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
New 2025 Ram 1500 with More Powerful, More Fuel-efficient Hurricane Engine Family Unveiled
“…Ram 1500 offers a 3.21, 3.55 or 3.92 axle ratio allowing customers to optimize fuel economy and vehicle capability.”

Nooooo! My '22 is now totally useless. I must rush out and order a '25 as soon as they are available. 😧

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's 3.21 pride day! Wave your flags!

Who knew.
Stupid question. You did.

As much as I want to try to help you, I’m not going to rain on your parade.

Very brave you came out, stepped across the battle lines to encourage some of your kind
to wave your flags.

For you, on this day, it is not about what rear you prefer in your truck. It is about what rear you choose in a mate.

I have said in the past that if these discussions help just 1 person, they are worth it. Maybe, just maybe, my little rant gave you the courage to step out of hiding, profess your love for Keebler elves working in fudge, and shout out to the whole world to “wave your flags”!

I always thought it would be a FNG with the twin turbo come out first…… But
as I think about it, 3.92 truck owners makes more sense.

Others have been crying out… Maybe you will encourage them.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Who knew.
Stupid question. You did.

As much as I want to try to help you, I’m not going to rain on your parade.

Very brave you came out, stepped across the battle lines to encourage some of your kind
to wave your flags.

For you, on this day, it is not about what rear you prefer in your truck. It is about what rear you choose in a mate.

I have said in the past that if these discussions help just 1 person, they are worth it. Maybe, just maybe, my little rant gave you the courage to step out of hiding, profess your love for Keebler elves working in fudge, and shout out to the whole world to “wave your flags”!

I always thought it would be a FNG with the twin turbo come out first…… But
as I think about it, 3.92 truck owners makes more sense.

Others have been crying out… Maybe you will encourage them.
TLDR but I'm sure it was clever

2021EcoDiesel

Reaction score
You could put 35s (you know, truck sized tire) on your truck with 3.92s and be real close to 3.55.
I did the math 2.5 years ago when I put my tires on, I wanna say I got 3.62 after my chalkboard was filled up. approximately 2,000 RPM at 75 MPH.
Edit: @Idahoktm, that site would have saved me lots of chalk dust^

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought my truck because the price was right. Didn’t even look at what gears it had because I rarely ever tow anything

I bought my 3.92 off lot and wanted to change a few things. Mainly wanted long bed (no ram box for topper ). Wanted to try 3.21 for mileage also. So I ordered my 3.21, 4WD etc (same as 3.92).

I do haul and tow a good bit for farm stuff along with a good amount of time on the expressway. Prob haul more than I should.

After owning, hauling and towing, traveling and paying for gas for both, I like the 3.21. Towing was less change for the worse, mileage was bigger change for the better. Pretty much stock. use as daily driver also.

Everyone uses and modifies their trucks differently, so opinions vary with uses which is understandable. Others have owned both and expressed their opinions and prefer the 3.92, which you have to respect.

Some others form opinions without ever owning and using both…. just have to discard those I guess.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I bought my 3.92 off lot and wanted to change a few things. Mainly wanted long bed (no ram box for topper ). Wanted to try 3.21 for mileage also. So I ordered my 3.21, 4WD etc (same as 3.92).

I do haul and tow a good bit for farm stuff along with a good amount of time on the expressway. Prob haul more than I should.

After owning, hauling and towing, traveling and paying for gas for both, I like the 3.21. Towing was less change for the worse, mileage was bigger change for the better. Pretty much stock. use as daily driver also.

Everyone uses and modifies their trucks differently, so opinions vary with uses which is understandable. Others have owned both and expressed their opinions and prefer the 3.92, which you have to respect.

Some others form opinions without ever owning and using both…. just have to discard those I guess.
Nice. I like the 3.21s also. My old Colorado had 3.08's (i think) with a 5 cyl engine so this is definitely a step up. I've also never had a V8 that could make 24mpg on the highway, and still have plenty of power.

Davidbt

Reaction score
This is my first V8 engine for very, very long time. Since 2011 or so, I've owned a 04 Duramax, a 2015 Cummins 2500, a 2018 3500 Cummins, a 2022 Jeep Gladiator Max Tow that I thought would be good to tow a 5,500lb travel trailer. I now have my 2021 Big Horn and I'm really loving my first Hemi. I will admit that once in awhile, I do miss my 2018 Cummins 3500 and it's exhaust brake. Sorry about the rant, it's Friday happy hour 🍺

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is my first V8 engine for very, very long time. Since 2011 or so, I've owned a 04 Duramax, a 2015 Cummins 2500, a 2018 3500 Cummins, a 2022 Jeep Gladiator Max Tow that I thought would be good to tow a 5,500lb travel trailer. I now have my 2021 Big Horn and I'm really loving my first Hemi. I will admit that once in awhile, I do miss my 2018 Cummins 3500 and it's exhaust brake. Sorry about the rant, it's Friday happy hour 🍺
Yea I’m enjoying my V8 also. People talk about the sound of the V8….. I prefer the sound of the Cummins.

2021EcoDiesel

Reaction score
But I'd like to pose a question:
Would you guys prefer an engine with the same power that you currently have but with better MPG or would you rather the same MPG and another 145 Horsepower and an additional 111 Ft/Lbs of torque?
Unless you're planning on helping me put a compound turbo setup in my truck I don't see how this is going to happen to me lol

Mirowpl

Reaction score
My new 2022 limited has the ecodiesel with 3.21 gears exactly as I wanted. I have no reason to buy the 3.92s as I rarely tow but I do drive a lot. This is my second ram With 3.21s and happy . The older dodge trucks had the old 3.55’s with the smaller v8. The ecodiesel is very torquey engine.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Would you guys prefer an engine with the same power that you currently have but with better MPG or would you rather the same MPG and another 145 Horsepower and an additional 111 Ft/Lbs of torque?

I prefer an engine with 307 more horsepower and worse gas mileage.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score

This was a gear ratio thread, so what's the question leading into?

The 5.7 is already a bit more powerful than I needed, so I'll lean toward MPG, but I can see where some users may crave more power/torque. So I guess there's a market for both, but I don't have a feel for what the split might be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread