5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alpine 10sp - ongoing results from testing ANC, speaker polarities, wiring harnesses...

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I think that I have determined this is exactly how the vehicle is wired now that I've seen every speaker location as of last night.

EVERY SINGLE connector in my vehicle has the positive wire (as indicated by the wiring diagram) in the RIGHT position in the connector (you can use my images to note what I call "right"), which is the negative terminal on the speakers. So every speaker is actually wired out-of-phase. The only reason that my driver side (left) speaker is in-phase is because the wire that is supposed to be negative (gray/yellow) is actually positive for some reason. It's on the "negative side" of the connector at the amp (see pic) - the wires are always grouped negative on one side of the connector and positive on the other side at the amp - so it would appear it is indeed supposed to be negative (but yet it's positive at the speaker). So I'm really wondering if the wires are getting flipped at the sub-connector somewhere down the line between the amp and the dash for the left dash speaker. I plan to pull the left dash speaker and test the wire from the amp connector to the speaker plug and make sure the signal from the grey/yellow at the amp reaches the grey/yellow at the speaker.

So every speaker location is actually wired out-of-phase....OR are these trucks actually wired for what is supposed to be in-phase, but the speakers that are used have the positive and negative opposite of what FCA expected to be in this truck?

View attachment 17816
I was able to confirm your finding on my truck as well. It always seemed like the left front dash speaker didn't have much sound coming out of it. I reversed the connections on just this speaker and it sounds much better. All speakers are now wired for reverse polarity, sounds great and no ANC issues. Really strange this one location has the wires flipped.

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This thread had me thinking. Does polarity even matter? Of course it does in stereo planning but does it matter in this system.

The reason I say that is because of the surround sound setting as well as ANC. Further, surround sound is not controllable while on Sirius, it is always on, I assume this is due to the lower bit rate of Sirius. With this behavior, It would make sense to me that the DSP controls polarity. Does that matter in the actual wiring?? I would think so but if the system is auto-sensing and then controlling, then it really wouldn’t matter.

This of course is all theory. Has anyone metered the wires for polarity with surround on/off as well as ANC on/off? I’d be curious to know if there is a change in polarity from one mode to the other.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This thread had me thinking. Does polarity even matter? Of course it does in stereo planning but does it matter in this system.

The reason I say that is because of the surround sound setting as well as ANC. Further, surround sound is not controllable while on Sirius, it is always on, I assume this is due to the lower bit rate of Sirius. With this behavior, It would make sense to me that the DSP controls polarity. Does that matter in the actual wiring?? I would think so but if the system is auto-sensing and then controlling, then it really wouldn’t matter.

This of course is all theory. Has anyone metered the wires for polarity with surround on/off as well as ANC on/off? I’d be curious to know if there is a change in polarity from one mode to the other.
The DSP likely doesn't control polarity is this would have to be done with hardware literally switching the input side going into the amps or reversing the terminals on the output side. It's not impossible to just unlikely because of the added cost/components that would be required. The DSP is controlling the arrival of sound by adding time delay to the input signal depending on where its headed. what we know for sure is that the signal is coming down from the head unit flat on 4 channels, front, rear, left and right. But has to be distributed through 12 channels after processing so it determines which part of the signal goes to which speaker adjust the gain for that channel and determines frequency cut off and adds any necessary delay for the speakers location but doesn't determine polarity as far is its concerned the speaker is just a coil of wire with zero polarity because it essentially is just that. now here's where it gets interesting, there are many different ways amplification to a signal can be done even outside the standard class A, Class AB, Class D and so on. What people are typically expecting to find in an amplifier is a single ended configuration meaning the negative wire is your ground reference and the input side swings the voltage between the + and - rails of the amplifier producing the AC input into the speaker. In this situation a simple check with a multimeter will tell you which is positive and which is negative. In the case of this amplifier you have a positive live and negative live that reference ground internal to the amplifier, this means your "-" wire is not your common or ground you now have identical signals that are opposite in phase on both wires this effectively doubles the voltage potential and allows to amp produce a lot more power without needing a large voltage difference between the rails. This is the same thing that happens when you take 2 channel stereo and bridge it into a single mono channel, when this happens testing for polarity by measuring voltage across the 2 conductors goes out the window because you're measuring voltage across 2 sources, Same idea as measuring phase to phase on a 3 phase AC power system. It doesn't matter which lead is on which terminal you will get a positive voltage reading. So in the case of the AMP you basically have 12 channel mono with positive live and negative live on each channel. Surround sound / stereo is controlled by the DSP to determine which part of the signal goes to which speaker. Phasing is controlled by which op amp has input coming in on its postive terminal and which has the signal entering on its negative terminal, but both wires carrie signal and swing positive to negative around ground and the speakers are a floating load.

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The DSP likely doesn't control polarity is this would have to be done with hardware literally switching the input side going into the amps or reversing the terminals on the output side. It's not impossible to just unlikely because of the added cost/components that would be required.

I have to disagree on this. Electronically, a consumer cost of an $80 DSP can handle this solution. DSP is not what it use to be, it is not expensive, it is not all hardware but more software.

The DSP is controlling the arrival of sound by adding time delay to the input signal depending on where its headed. what we know for sure is that the signal is coming down from the head unit flat on 4 channels, front, rear, left and right. But has to be distributed through 12 channels after processing so it determines which part of the signal goes to which speaker adjust the gain for that channel and determines frequency cut off and adds any necessary delay for the speakers location but doesn't determine polarity as far is its concerned the speaker is just a coil of wire with zero polarity because it essentially is just that.

Is there a definitive way that you know that the HU is sending a flat 4 channels to the AMP/ANC module? The future "upgrader" in me hopes it is this way as this is something simple to work with, similar to the 4th gen. without Alpine where I could take the signal to a DSP and play to my hearts content. The last gen. with Alpine made this difficult as a separate volume knob was required in the system as the output from the HU was a fixed signal to the AMP and the volume knob of the HU controlled the AMP, not the HU.

Back to the DSP, this is the "natural" job of a DSP but you are not including the polarity or phase task of the DSP. What if it is at this point the system changes phase of a speaker to compensate for Surround Sound or ANC? If it does, which I do believe it does, there would have to be checks in the system, those checks being polarity because the system would have to know where the current phase is. ie, the system has to know, regardless of wiring, the current polarity of the speaker. From an "upgrader's" point of view, if those flat 4 signals are present from the HU, what I just wrote, really does not matter.

now here's where it gets interesting, there are many different ways amplification to a signal can be done even outside the standard class A, Class AB, Class D and so on. What people are typically expecting to find in an amplifier is a single ended configuration meaning the negative wire is your ground reference and the input side swings the voltage between the + and - rails of the amplifier producing the AC input into the speaker. In this situation a simple check with a multimeter will tell you which is positive and which is negative. In the case of this amplifier you have a positive live and negative live that reference ground internal to the amplifier, this means your "-" wire is not your common or ground you now have identical signals that are opposite in phase on both wires this effectively doubles the voltage potential and allows to amp produce a lot more power without needing a large voltage difference between the rails.
This is exactly what I am asking. Does polarity change from mode to mode? If it does, then that would prove my "theory" that the system is auto-sensing and dictating within the AMP/ANC Module making the wiring to each individual speaker irrelevant.

This is the same thing that happens when you take 2 channel stereo and bridge it into a single mono channel, when this happens testing for polarity by measuring voltage across the 2 conductors goes out the window because you're measuring voltage across 2 sources, Same idea as measuring phase to phase on a 3 phase AC power system. It doesn't matter which lead is on which terminal you will get a positive voltage reading. So in the case of the AMP you basically have 12 channel mono with positive live and negative live on each channel. Surround sound / stereo is controlled by the DSP to determine which part of the signal goes to which speaker. Phasing is controlled by which op amp has input coming in on its postive terminal and which has the signal entering on its negative terminal, but both wires carrie signal and swing positive to negative around ground and the speakers are a floating load.

Understood but when using a DSP, you have left and right in a typical car setup. You can combine those channels electronically, create left, right, front, back, center and the output would be the basic expectation of an input to an amp. Your method of explanation gives a great understanding of old-school audio, please do not take that term as offensive as I bow to you but my original post and my response to this post is to understand and hopefully create a dialog among audio geeks so that we can finally figure out what is going on.......so I can selfishly upgrade my system to be the envy of every ear. ;)

rsonedecker

Reaction score
Couple things:

1) Now that I've figured out the best way to test polarity (my lightning-to-3.5mm connector had a bad connection so got a new one, and since then it's been spot on), I can tell you that all Alpines 9+1s that I re-tested are all WIRED opposite - ALL THE SPEAKERS, ALL 10. So either it's meant to be that way, or they wired these trucks to have different Mopar speakers in them then are actually put in them - because every harness is wired to have the positive wire mapped to the negative terminal (fronts, doors, rears, sub).

2) However, the left dash speaker wires are reversed coming out of the amp - what is supposed to be the positive terminal coming out of the amp, is carrying the negative signal instead, COMING OUT OF THE AMP. This seems like an afterthought because the way the connectors are laid out, all the positive wires are on one row of the connector, and all the negatives are on the other row - except this set which is reversed (and the wiring diagram says this as well – this is the only speaker wire that is wrong on the wiring diagram). As Billet pointed out elsewhere, that speaker has many more duties than just playing music, so perhaps it wasn't functioning correctly when mapped reverse, and they fixed this issue at the amp by switching the polarity of the two wires, AT THE AMP.

3) Which combine these two issues and it looks like all Alpine 9+1s have their left dash speaker out of phase compared to all the rest in the vehicle.

4) I saw no difference between ANC enabled and ANC disabled as far as polarity (I tested before and after). Also I see no difference with Surround on or off. Also Surround is off by default, not on. I don't have surround unless I use media - it looks like if you have the option to turn it on and off on the headunit, that means you have access to producing surround, otherwise you don't have surround processing.

5) The subwoofer is WEIRDLY wired (or is it, when you really think about how the rest of the wiring is). There are three sets of wires- white/black, yellow/black, and blue/black - but yet the black wires are connected to the positive terminals on the subwoofer...and those black wires are mapped to the negative wires in the wiring diagram, effectively making the subwoofer "out-of-phase" but actually in-phase for the rest of the "out-of-phase" speakers.

My guess is this - the door speakers are what is used in the ANC system, and they are reversed in an effort to easily implement an opposing signal for ANC. But since the doors are reversed, the rest of the audio is reversed so that everything is in phase to each other - but then there was an issue with the left front speaker so they brought that back to not being reversed by changing the polarity at the amplifier.

We may be thinking they did all this audio magic, when in reality it could just be a hack job that resulted in making it really difficult to hop-up the audio in these trucks.

All I really know is that since bringing the audio all back "the way it should be" (+-to-+), and removing ANC, the audio was phenomenally better. And then once I replaced the speakers, it's fantastic. I can't tell a real difference with or without ANC, so good riddance.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Couple things:

1) Now that I've figured out the best way to test polarity (my lightning-to-3.5mm connector had a bad connection so got a new one, and since then it's been spot on), I can tell you that all Alpines 9+1s that I re-tested are all WIRED opposite - ALL THE SPEAKERS, ALL 10. So either it's meant to be that way, or they wired these trucks to have different Mopar speakers in them then are actually put in them - because every harness is wired to have the positive wire mapped to the negative terminal (fronts, doors, rears, sub).

2) However, the left dash speaker wires are reversed coming out of the amp - what is supposed to be the positive terminal coming out of the amp, is carrying the negative signal instead, COMING OUT OF THE AMP. This seems like an afterthought because the way the connectors are laid out, all the positive wires are on one row of the connector, and all the negatives are on the other row - except this set which is reversed (and the wiring diagram says this as well – this is the only speaker wire that is wrong on the wiring diagram). As Billet pointed out elsewhere, that speaker has many more duties than just playing music, so perhaps it wasn't functioning correctly when mapped reverse, and they fixed this issue at the amp by switching the polarity of the two wires, AT THE AMP.

3) Which combine these two issues and it looks like all Alpine 9+1s have their left dash speaker out of phase compared to all the rest in the vehicle.

4) I saw no difference between ANC enabled and ANC disabled as far as polarity (I tested before and after). Also I see no difference with Surround on or off. Also Surround is off by default, not on. I don't have surround unless I use media - it looks like if you have the option to turn it on and off on the headunit, that means you have access to producing surround, otherwise you don't have surround processing.

5) The subwoofer is WEIRDLY wired (or is it, when you really think about how the rest of the wiring is). There are three sets of wires- white/black, yellow/black, and blue/black - but yet the black wires are connected to the positive terminals on the subwoofer...and those black wires are mapped to the negative wires in the wiring diagram, effectively making the subwoofer "out-of-phase" but actually in-phase for the rest of the "out-of-phase" speakers.

My guess is this - the door speakers are what is used in the ANC system, and they are reversed in an effort to easily implement an opposing signal for ANC. But since the doors are reversed, the rest of the audio is reversed so that everything is in phase to each other - but then there was an issue with the left front speaker so they brought that back to not being reversed by changing the polarity at the amplifier.

We may be thinking they did all this audio magic, when in reality it could just be a hack job that resulted in making it really difficult to hop-up the audio in these trucks.

All I really know is that since bringing the audio all back "the way it should be" (+-to-+), and removing ANC, the audio was phenomenally better. And then once I replaced the speakers, it's fantastic. I can't tell a real difference with or without ANC, so good riddance.

I'd love it is someone could do a similar sleuthing job on the HK system...

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Now that I've figured out the best way to test polarity (my lightning-to-3.5mm connector had a bad connection so got a new one, and since then it's been spot on)

Not saying this doesn’t work but I still think the best way to test for wiring is a multimeter. Voltage is voltage. With apps your subjected to the nuances of the app, phone, cables, etc. There might be something getting crossed or reversed in the amp.

Amen. Couldn’t agree more. It’s an interesting concept (ANC) but it interferes with our music and the sound of our Hemis!

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you for the post and testing @rsonedecker

Knowing that polarity is not being affected by mode simplifies things and I don’t have to worry about that possible issue.

I want to turn off the ANC, I am not a fan of what it does to my ears with pressure but while I am under there I also want to compare my wiring with yours. The complaint seems to be that the left front dash speaker does not put out much volume, this is not an issue on mine so I want to see if there is consistency.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have to disagree on this. Electronically, a consumer cost of an $80 DSP can handle this solution. DSP is not what it use to be, it is not expensive, it is not all hardware but more software.

Is there a definitive way that you know that the HU is sending a flat 4 channels to the AMP/ANC module? The future "upgrader" in me hopes it is this way as this is something simple to work with, similar to the 4th gen. without Alpine where I could take the signal to a DSP and play to my hearts content. The last gen. with Alpine made this difficult as a separate volume knob was required in the system as the output from the HU was a fixed signal to the AMP and the volume knob of the HU controlled the AMP, not the HU.

Back to the DSP, this is the "natural" job of a DSP but you are not including the polarity or phase task of the DSP. What if it is at this point the system changes phase of a speaker to compensate for Surround Sound or ANC? If it does, which I do believe it does, there would have to be checks in the system, those checks being polarity because the system would have to know where the current phase is. ie, the system has to know, regardless of wiring, the current polarity of the speaker. From an "upgrader's" point of view, if those flat 4 signals are present from the HU, what I just wrote, really does not matter.

This is exactly what I am asking. Does polarity change from mode to mode? If it does, then that would prove my "theory" that the system is auto-sensing and dictating within the AMP/ANC Module making the wiring to each individual speaker irrelevant.

Understood but when using a DSP, you have left and right in a typical car setup. You can combine those channels electronically, create left, right, front, back, center and the output would be the basic expectation of an input to an amp. Your method of explanation gives a great understanding of old-school audio, please do not take that term as offensive as I bow to you but my original post and my response to this post is to understand and hopefully create a dialog among audio geeks so that we can finally figure out what is going on.......so I can selfishly upgrade my system to be the envy of every ear. ;)

Regardless of what the DSP is actually doing I can assure you the system does not monitor phase, when I changed out my door speakers I wired them for the correct polarity as opposed to matching the factory wiring and ended up with a horrendous drone from the ANC system. The destructive resonance created by the ANC was in phase with the sound it was trying to counteract and would just continue to increase in amplitude trying to cancel the noise. Reversed the wiring to match the factory wiring and everything functioned normally. Here is a link I posted in a different thread that tells the tale of ANC and reversed phase at the doors. rsonedecker is correct, the ANC system only uses the door speakers for the ANC cancellation.

As far as the signal coming in flat, this is second hand info from another forum, I have not tested this myself they also indicated that just like the 4th gen alpine the volume knob controls the DSP/Amp and not the volume level of the output at the HU. I have not tested this personally since I have no intention of replacing the factory amp/dsp.

No offense taken, that's what these forums are for, the exchange of ideas and reverse engineering these trucks to make them do we want, and often not necessarily what the MFG intended. My post is part what has been verified and part my theory through minimal testing not saying its correct by any means, just like yourself just exchanging ideas. Which leads me to this one:

Some don't like/want the ANC, some do, some can't tell the difference. One thing we can all agree on, we want the best possible sound out of the system. My experience this far mixing the phasing sounds like crap and creates ANC issues. Having all the speakers in phase with one another matching the factory wiring sounds pretty good and has no ANC issues. Rsonedecker is saying the system when wired in the correct phase sounds much better than the factory wiring with all speakers reversed but the trade off is no ANC others have said the same thing in other threads. So here's the idea reverse all the speakers to get the phase matched correctly + to + and - to -. Then reverse the ANC input coming from the 4 mics and, in theory this should reverse the ANC output, allowing for the best possible sound and the ability to keep the ANC for those who want to keep it. All this can be done at the connections at the amp not sure how difficult it is to repin the connectors at the amp, biggest headache is probably the fact you don't have much working room under the seat. @rsonedecker i know this is subjective but on scale of one to 10, 10 being the best how much better is the sound with all speakers phased correctly? Trying to determine whether repinning 32 wires is worth the effort.

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Regardless of what the DSP is actually doing I can assure you the system does not monitor phase, when I changed out my door speakers I wired them for the correct polarity as opposed to matching the factory wiring and ended up with a horrendous drone from the ANC system. The destructive resonance created by the ANC was in phase with the sound it was trying to counteract and would just continue to increase in amplitude trying to cancel the noise. Reversed the wiring to match the factory wiring and everything functioned normally. Here is a link I posted in a different thread that tells the tale of ANC and reversed phase at the doors. rsonedecker is correct, the ANC system only uses the door speakers for the ANC cancellation.

As far as the signal coming in flat, this is second hand info from another forum, I have not tested this myself they also indicated that just like the 4th gen alpine the volume knob controls the DSP/Amp and not the volume level of the output at the HU. I have not tested this personally since I have no intention of replacing the factory amp/dsp.

No offense taken, that's what these forums are for, the exchange of ideas and reverse engineering these trucks to make them do we want, and often not necessarily what the MFG intended. My post is part what has been verified and part my theory through minimal testing not saying its correct by any means, just like yourself just exchanging ideas. Which leads me to this one:

Some don't like/want the ANC, some do, some can't tell the difference. One thing we can all agree on, we want the best possible sound out of the system. My experience this far mixing the phasing sounds like crap and creates ANC issues. Having all the speakers in phase with one another matching the factory wiring sounds pretty good and has no ANC issues. Rsonedecker is saying the system when wired in the correct phase sounds much better than the factory wiring with all speakers reversed but the trade off is no ANC others have said the same thing in other threads. So here's the idea reverse all the speakers to get the phase matched correctly + to + and - to -. Then reverse the ANC input coming from the 4 mics and, in theory this should reverse the ANC output, allowing for the best possible sound and the ability to keep the ANC for those who want to keep it. All this can be done at the connections at the amp not sure how difficult it is to repin the connectors at the amp, biggest headache is probably the fact you don't have much working room under the seat. @rsonedecker i know this is subjective but on scale of one to 10, 10 being the best how much better is the sound with all speakers phased correctly? Trying to determine whether repinning 32 wires is worth the effort.

Good stuff. I’m in the same boat, re-pin at the amp if I find it out of phase. At one time in my life, I built custom computers / machines for the asphalt industry and have a lot of connector experience. Working with repinning a connector is just having the right tool, whether that is just a pick to lift tabs or a cylinder to compress the barbs. The old story, the right tool for the job so I’d buy a tool if it is not a pic situation. Removing the seat is just 4 bolts and a couple connectors so I figure get it out of the way if I re-pin.

Quick question, if you disconnect the ANC, does it disconnect the mic for the phone?

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good stuff. I’m in the same boat, re-pin at the amp if I find it out of phase. At one time in my life, I built custom computers / machines for the asphalt industry and have a lot of connector experience. Working with repinning a connector is just having the right tool, whether that is just a pick to lift tabs or a cylinder to compress the barbs. The old story, the right tool for the job so I’d buy a tool if it is not a pic situation. Removing the seat is just 4 bolts and a couple connectors so I figure get it out of the way if I re-pin.

Quick question, if you disconnect the ANC, does it disconnect the mic for the phone?
No. The mics for the phone are separate and disconnecting ANC at amp via the harness does not affect the phone. I can attest to this. I disconnected the 4 +'s on the ANC mics and it took me less than 5 minutes. A pic is all I needed and there was enough room to work by sliding the seat all the way forward.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score

So far for the people that have disable the ANC they have all used the pick method to unpin the mics. the ANC mics are specific to that system if you look above your head on the headliner you'll see two mics above the driver and passenger the smaller one closer to the windshield is the voice command and phone the bigger ones are the ANC mics. I popped one out to see if they plugged in and could just be unplugged but they are hard wired, best advice is too leave them alone, not really designed to come back out once they've been installed without removing the headliner.

I've had the seat out once already for sound deadening activities. Quick note regarding the right tool for the job you'll need a set of E sockets or "female torques" to get the bolts out. Don't remember the size off the top of my head E10 or E12 maybe.

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'd love it is someone could do a similar sleuthing job on the HK system...
I did not test for polarity with the apps (was too inconsistent on my phone) but I did pay close attention to + and - on the speaker terminals and wiring harness when I replaced mine. For me, I had to reverse Metra wiring harnesses on all speakers with expection of the door 3.5s. I can't tell you what that means as to whether they were in or out of phase though. Again the application was just too inconsistent on my Android device and just because the wiring was flipped on the door 3.5s doesn't mean it was out of phase.

Hackmunch

Reaction score
has anyone confirmed that the signal inputs to the factory amp are a constant ac input from the radio.

Macinsac

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to replace the dash speakers. I understand the Metra harness is 72-7902. Is there also a reversed polarity connector available?

Patsy1099

Reaction score
You will have to check polarity of the stock speaker and/or wiring, then decide IF the polarity is reversed whether or not you are going to keep the polarity reversed, or put it back in phase (there are diff opinions on that). Regardless of which of those you decide to do, you then have to connect your metra harness and pay attention to the wiring. If it matches your desired wiring, you’re good to go. If it doesn’t, you will need to reverse the wires in the metra harness. You can do that by either releasing the pins and reversing them OR snip the wires/tails and solder (or wire connect) them in reverse.

Cygnus A

Reaction score
I thought this was going to be an easy speaker upgrade. Now I get to bust out the voltmeter and check everything.. Damn. Any suggestions on order I should check things? Is it easiest to check everything from the amp or do I need to open every speaker?

Patsy1099

Reaction score
I thought this was going to be an easy speaker upgrade. Now I get to bust out the voltmeter and check everything.. ****. Any suggestions on order I should check things? Is it easiest to check everything from the amp or do I need to open every speaker?

Not sure what help checking at the amp would do. If you are replacing the speakers anyway, it doesn’t really add much effort to check the polarity when you’re pulling the speakers. The question is what do you do about it if you find polarity is reversed. Some people put the new speakers in with the same polarity as the old ones, even if they were reversed. Others will correct the phase and put the new ones in phase. Depending on how the stock are wires and what you decide to do about phase, you might need to flip the wiring on the metra harness (that’s a minor pain). Then the real big question is when you complete the swap, will you have ANC issues? Because if you do, that means you will either have to go back and change the wiring (which is why you should drive around after you do each speaker and see if it caused a problem) OR disconnect the ANC completely. It’s still not clear to me why causes the ANC issues. Is it wiring? Is it when you change the resistance/ohms with the new speakers? A combo?

So checking polarity isn’t the problem. The problems start afterwards ;). FWIW, I changed the dash speakers, correcting the polarity of one to put it in phase. Then I changed the front doors, also correcting the polarity in one to put in phase. Then everything up front was in phase. No ANC issues. I then changed the rear speakers, also correcting the polarity of one, boom, major anc issues. I could have gone back and flipped the wiring and it might have fixed the issue (or not) but I really wanted to keep everything in phase and was pretty sure I was going to add an amp/sub, which almost certainly would have caused ANC issues anyway, so I opted to just disconnect the ANC.

If you just change the dash I don’t think you’ll have issues. Once you get into the doors you start to have problems. Lots of good info here. Def not as easy as it should be.

Users who are viewing this thread