5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All things Firearms thread

jmt8706

Ram Guru
Reaction score
seems like an appropriate place to ask, where do you guys keep pistols in your trucks? mounts? safe?
I was thinking of mounting a holster on the center console near my right leg. There seems to be enough room.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I was thinking of mounting a holster on the center console near my right leg. There seems to be enough room.
I’m left handed so the drivers door cup holder pocket would have been perfect snug spot to hold my gun EXCEPT the factory didn’t provide me with any stinkin’ foam cup holders this time. 😖

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Finally got a cool morning and midday to sight in some hunting rifles. Shot 25, 50, 100 and 150 yds. They are 1in. low at 25yds, zero at 50 yds, .7in high 100 yds, and back to zero at 150 yds.

Attachments

• 18DA8BC9-C6FA-4F8E-9E9D-84FB0151CAE9.jpeg
    18DA8BC9-C6FA-4F8E-9E9D-84FB0151CAE9.jpeg
    164.5 KB · Views: 32
  • BC6A7807-A90B-4AEF-A21D-D19D60A2F5CB.jpeg
    BC6A7807-A90B-4AEF-A21D-D19D60A2F5CB.jpeg
    231.2 KB · Views: 32
  • A262F080-E642-40F5-9D46-DD8360AF6EC6.jpeg
    A262F080-E642-40F5-9D46-DD8360AF6EC6.jpeg
    213.7 KB · Views: 32

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Finally got a cool morning and midday to sight in some hunting rifles. Shot 25, 50, 100 and 150 yds. They are 1in. low at 25yds, zero at 50 yds, .7in high 100 yds, and back to zero at 150 yds.
Beautiful range. What did you sight?

Among the hundred unfinished projects I still need to bed a 3006 to the stock and get it sighted. That one has been on the back burner about a year now.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Among the hundred unfinished projects I still need to bed a 3006 to the stock and get it sighted. That one has been on the back burner about a year now.
I sighted in a Weatherby 30.06 and Tikka 270. Put new scopes on them. I checked an AR also I like to have on the tractor. I like to zero at 150 yds, then they are within several inches from very close to 200 yds.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I love level action carbines (Henry and Marlin) in common-caliber wheel guns along with caliber matching handguns.
I had a marlin 3030 a long time ago and loved the feel of that gun. I ended up trading it because it wasn’t accurate. Are you getting some decent accuracy out of your lever actions? I have never tried Henry.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Thanks for the comments on the range. I really love everything about my farm. I have everything I need including cabins ,barn, long range, pistol range, and lots of whitetails, and turkey. But I can’t get my wife to move out there. I interrogated her pretty hard, and broke her, but I felt bad so didn’t move out there (maybe when I retire). It is within 30 minutes of Walmart, grocery, etc. but definitely out in the sticks and she is not made for that. She likes her friends, other comforts… I like being out away from people, nothing but wildlife, sun rises and sun sets.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Yea, we are in the woods but it is still Northern Virginia so although I have a perfect spot for a short 50 yard range in the ravine beside the house, the wokeness around us will complain. If we could find a place in the tri city area of Tennessee I would buy it as we could drive there regularly. Further out will wait a few more years for retirement.

I grew up with a Winchester 3030. It was a whitetail harvester. I gave it to my brother for safe keeping once and haven't seen it since. I would like a 357 Henry. Plink with 38 specials and still shoot the magnums.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yea, we are in the woods but it is still Northern Virginia so although I have a perfect spot for a short 50 yard range in the ravine beside the house, the wokeness around us will complain. If we could find a place in the tri city area of Tennessee I would buy it as we could drive there regularly. Further out will wait a few more years for retirement.

I grew up with a Winchester 3030. It was a whitetail harvester. I gave it to my brother for safe keeping once and haven't seen it since. I would like a 357 Henry. Plink with 38 specials and still shoot the magnums.
Yea the 3030 has probably killed more deer than any other caliber. Was popular when I was growing up also.

n8zcc

Reaction score
I had a marlin 3030 a long time ago and loved the feel of that gun. I ended up trading it because it wasn’t accurate. Are you getting some decent accuracy out of your lever actions? I have never tried Henry.
My Marlin 30-30 lever has a scope on it dialed in at 500 feet. I can keep a 6-inch pattern as long as I am properly stabilized.

My Henry's are all with the factory iron sights (also large loop levers) so accuracy is shorter range but they are carbines. I typically shoot 100 to 150 feet with the .44 mag and .357 Henrys and hold a nice pattern. The Henry .22 large loop lever I run at 50 feet and it holds a nice pattern.

My .223 seems to have an accuracy issue that I don't understand. I've taken it to the range and had a couple of different range officers give it a try and they didn't understand it either. I'm thinking after a few rounds, the barrel heats up causing the issue. May be time for a new one before the loonies ban them.

It could be just me but once you run a Henry lever action, you can't go back to a Marlin or Winchester. The Henry's are just that smooth and now that they offer side loading in addition to tube loading, the only reason not to get a Henry is that they are next to impossible to find.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My Marlin 30-30 lever has a scope on it dialed in at 500 feet. I can keep a 6-inch pattern as long as I am properly stabilized.

My Henry's are all with the factory iron sights (also large loop levers) so accuracy is shorter range but they are carbines. I typically shoot 100 to 150 feet with the .44 mag and .357 Henrys and hold a nice pattern. The Henry .22 large loop lever I run at 50 feet and it holds a nice pattern.

My .223 seems to have an accuracy issue that I don't understand. I've taken it to the range and had a couple of different range officers give it a try and they didn't understand it either. I'm thinking after a few rounds, the barrel heats up causing the issue. May be time for a new one before the loonies ban them.

It could be just me but once you run a Henry lever action, you can't go back to a Marlin or Winchester. The Henry's are just that smooth and now that they offer side loading in addition to tube loading, the only reason not to get a Henry is that they are next to impossible to find.

You called off your distances in feet, did you mean it to be feet and not yards?

.223 and pencil thin hunting barrels (I assume this is what you have) are not friends for more than a couple shots before the heat causes you group to open up.

You may have to document a cold shot with a follow up. Then do the same thing the next day. Until you can build up enough data to know you can place shot one where you want it and exactly where shot 2 will hit.

Also, if you're the type that scrubs your barrel out after every range outing, you might try letting the bullets foul the barrel some. Many competitors don't clean until accuracy suffers.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Just curious, what kind of 223 do you have? My 5.56 ARs are surprisingly very accurate ( they can shoot 223 also ). I would probably trade your 223 for another gun. AR15 would be a great choice. I have had some inaccurate guns and more than likely they had a barrel defect. I have no time for an inaccurate rifle. They are nothing more then an expensive fire poker at that point.

n8zcc

Reaction score
Just curious, what kind of 223 do you have? My 5.56 ARs are surprisingly very accurate ( they can shoot 223 also ). I would probably trade your 223 for another gun. AR15 would be a great choice. I have had some inaccurate guns and more than likely they had a barrel defect. I have no time for an inaccurate rifle. They are nothing more then an expensive fire poker at that point.
It is a Bushmaster I picked up several years ago. I first noticed the issue when I was attempting to zero in a scope I put on it. At first, I thought I might have a faulty scope so I tried another and got the same results. Its inaccuracy is repeatable and off just enough to make zeroing a scope impossible. So taking down a small animal like a coyote at 100 feet would likely be a miss.

I should look at replacing it. Next time I'm at my Henry dealer I'll have to ask about AR15s.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Yes, your carbines should hold for longer distances than stated. I don't have a Henry but have heard great things about them. I want one with the heat treated finish and octagon barrel.

But as for PCC rifles, my bolt CZ .22 will keep a tight group at 100 yards. Heck, I have a HiPoint 9mm carbine that will keep a 6 inch group at 100 yards.

I would sure try another barrel on the Bushmaster. There isn't a lot to an AR. Slap on a heavier barrel, like Scap said, not a pencil thin one. Get a free float hand guard and try it again. 5.56 as Ramroo pointed out, not 223. By the way, are you shooting 5.56 ammo from a 223 barrel? If so, it could be your issue.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, your carbines should hold for longer distances than stated. I don't have a Henry but have heard great things about them. I want one with the heat treated finish and octagon barrel.

But as for PCC rifles, my bolt CZ .22 will keep a tight group at 100 yards. Heck, I have a HiPoint 9mm carbine that will keep a 6 inch group at 100 yards.

I would sure try another barrel on the Bushmaster. There isn't a lot to an AR. Slap on a heavier barrel, like Scap said, not a pencil thin one. Get a free float hand guard and try it again. 5.56 as Ramroo pointed out, not 223. By the way, are you shooting 5.56 ammo from a 223 barrel? If so, it could be your issue.
Yep.

That barrel and whatever free floated rail you want. It'll do 0.5 MOA with reloads consistently if I do my part.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread